Which Fenix??

sj29

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy an edc Fenix....I have narrowed the search to the p3d q5 for $67 (215 L)or the p2d q5 100 $60 (180 L)......is the size difference, price, and Lumen output a clear advantage for either??
I like the size of the p2d, but for 35 more lumen is the p3d worth it??

I also am looking at the tk10 for its light output....but this light seems too big for edc......maybe I need 2 fenix lights:sssh:

sj

Every opinion you get on this forum will be biased towards that individuals needs, or wants. Personally, I can't fit a P3D, (which is 4.5 inches long) in my front pocket comfortably, but others might be able to. If you were going to use a holster on your belt I would definitely go with the P3D for an EDC light for the longer run times. As for the TK-10 most opinions of owners are very positive.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P2D, a P3D and a TK10. P2D is the only one that fits comfortably in every pocket while the others are too large for some places.

I don't want to go around with a holster. For real EDC P2D is IMO the only practical solution.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly you probably won't be able to tell the difference between 35 lumens. Something you learn after awhile here is don't make choices based on manufacturer's claimed lumens. Both are bright. :grin2:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2 cell light runs for longer time
and can be safely (+ with all the levels) run with Li-Ions,
except for lenght, that are the main differences

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also am looking at the tk10 for its light output....but this light seems too big for edc......maybe I need 2 fenix lights:sssh:

sj

I thought I was only going to get one Fenix light almost a year ago. I now have five.:)

As stated above if you plan on using rechargable Li-Ion RCR123 batteries, then avoid the P2D, you won't get the lower levels like you can with the two cell lights.

See my avatar on the cover of the April edition of Popular Photography Magazine.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
The P2D P100 was my first Fenix purchase (Oct 2007), and how I discovered this site. :) Since then, I have aquired a LOD CE, LOD Q4, L1T v2, L2D Q5, T1, 2 EOs, and a TK10. I love and use them all, but the P2D remains my favorite due to it's size and relative output. The P3D is a nice light, but you really wont notice that much of a diffence in the 35 lumens, and to acheive the same runtimes, just put that second battery in the P2D. Again, as it has been said, it is really a personal decision based on need, but you won't be dissapointed with either choice.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd go with the P2D-CE Q5 because of the smaller size and the ability to use the L1D and L2D body for 1 AA and 2 AA configurations.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I'm looking to buy an edc Fenix....I have narrowed the search to the p3d q5 for $67 (215 L)or the p2d q5 100 $60 (180 L)......is the size difference, price, and Lumen output a clear advantage for either??
I like the size of the p2d, but for 35 more lumen is the p3d worth it??

sj

I just received the Fenix pd2 premium q5 and I have to say, I'm very impressed. The pd1 premium q5 was my first Fenix and same, equally impressed. For there size, these little guys perform. Had I realized the pd2 had the on/off clicker from the get go, I may not have purchased the pd1 but again they're both so cool, you got to love 'em. I do prefer the single cell 123 lamps, don't need to get involved with the recharging thing. I also have a new TK10, again, impressive to say the least but a little large for a pocket lamp, it currently resides at bedside. Last but not least I have a Surefire E1L, the old model, and still very nice but the new fenix's appear to be taking front and center for now...:)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two P3D's, but I don't use them that often. I EDC a Fenix P2D Q5, and had a P2D Q2 before that. I love the small size, the UI, etc.

Advantages of the P3D, longer run times, slightly more output on TURBO, slightly lower low.