Amtrak?

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I might need to go to Nawlins or Tampa in the next few months and I wondering about taking a train. Has anyone here used Amtrak lately? How are the accommodations, seating, cost, convenience, etc.? I don't like to fly and am guessing that busses are pretty uncomfortable?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, there's no direct train from Chicago to Florida but this isn't a big deal. What you have to do is take the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington, DC, and then connect with the Silver Meteor or Silver Star to Florida. See the national route map. Fare looks like it'll be roughly $166.00 each way. The total trip time according to this, including the 6 hour layover to make the connection in Washington, DC, is around 43 hours, although driving probably takes just as long (and costs way more). You can probably get by sleeping in coach. It won't be as comfortable as getting a sleeper, but it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper. I've never traveled Amtrak outside of the Northeast Corridor but I do know that in most of the country train travel is a lot less convenient than in the Northeast. Nevertheless, if you have the extra time train is a fun way to travel. If I ever do travel the US, train will have to be the way I go as I don't drive, and won't fly (getting to/from many airports is problematic anyway if you don't drive).

Don't take the bus whatever you do. I'm not sure if it's faster than train (it might be by a few hours), but it's decidedly more uncomfortable. You'll be bouncing around the Interstates for ~40 hours pretty much glued in your seat. At least with the train you can walk between cars, enjoy the view, talk to a bunch of people. It's also safer and the ride is smoother (although ride quality south of Washington isn't as good I'm told, and train speeds are less).

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
My "main squeeze" travels long-distance exclusively on Amtrak with occasional bus connections. If you have the time it's a great way to travel and see the country. Lounge cars are now survivable since smoking has been banned. If you can't sleep in a seat, get a sleeper car.

Ozniot

Newly Enlightened
An Amtrak ride is a perfect opportunity to use your nifty little flashlight. People drop stuff and you can be the hero who locates it for them. Unlike air travel, Amtrak is still EDC friendly: you can take a regular size tube of toothpaste, P38 can opener, Swiss Army knife, bottled beverege, etc, right on board. No security. There's way more leg room even than 1st class on the plane. The seats recline way back and a footrest comes out horizontally. If you've ever dozed off in a LazyBoy, you can sleep on Amtrak (a U-shaped pillow might help keep your head from rocking). So long as you don't get stuck in a coach with a bawling baby you'll probably sleep just fine. Food from the canteen car and dining car is abysmal. Except for coffee, better bring your own eats. Remember, no weight limit and as many carry-ons as your can carry. You'll appreciate fresh fruit. The drinking fountains have filters, so no need for bottled water. Most trains have outlets at each seat, so you can keep your mobile phone and laptop plugged in for the whole trip. If you've got the time, Amtrak is a civilized way to travel.

Daekar

Enlightened
I've taken the Amtrak Autotrain from near D.C. down to Florida three times, for Christmas each time. We took 4 motorcycles twice and 3 motorcycles once. Each time they were loaded and unloaded safely and efficiently. The accomedations are as described, at least in the non-sleeper cars. Nice roomy seats, little pillows and blankets, dinner with multiple entree options and deserts, plus wine. Nice club car w/free snacks, the drinks were a little pricey but certainly not terrible... the bar was pretty well stocked for what it was. They have a movie which they play in the club car, there are power outlets for the seats, overhead individual lighting like on airplanes, etc. They turn out the lights after... 9pm or 10pm and everybody goes to sleep, then you wake up to breakfast in the dining cars and a morning arrival. I'd do it a 4th time in a heartbeat. Highly recommended!

Last edited: