Function over Form Surefire L1/HDS Ra/LunaSol

Dadof6

Enlightened
I enjoy flashlights. I purchased my first Mini-Mag in1984 for about 19 dollars because I felt that it was a great light and worth the money. I still have that light. The reason I liked it was because it was a well functioning light that was also beautiful.
I have purchased a number of lights since then, most in the last 3 years. For me, function always means more than form.
I have at least 4 surefire L1s including a milky, I have at least 7 HDS/Novatacs, a Mclux pd slate and have 2 HDS Ra's on order.

However, I'm also looking at the Lunasol and wondering if there is something about that light that is going to perform better than the lights I already have that would justify a price of 3 to 4 hundred dollars more than the lights I have. It is obviosly a beautul light, but does it perform somehow better than the lights I have?

Please let me know.

greenLED

Flashaholic
However, I'm also looking at the Lunasol and wondering if there is something about that light that is going to perform better than the lights I already have that would justify a price of 3 to 4 hundred dollars more than the lights I have.
In a word: yes.

The combination of LEDs/beam types/brightness is absolutely perfect. No other light I've used can provide that.

scottaw

Enlightened
My thoughts on purchasing ANYTHING, so please don't take this as a slight against Mc or any other light makes is: "yes, it's better, but is it $400 better?" probably not for me. While I would love a higher end light, i try to limit myself under $200, i feel that I can get all I need for that price or less.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LunaSol is purely form over function. For the few short days I was lucky enough to handle one, I couldn't find anything that looked like it was tacked on for show. The clip works well, the tailcap design is excellent; even the teardrop shaped cutouts on the head are designed to give a gripping surface when turning the light on and off. The question of worth is subjective and personal, but if you are already used to HDS/McGizmo quality, I don't think you have too many other options.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dual Beams, PD UI, solid clip=SWEET! One has to remember, although from afar it is a shiny Ti Torch, everything on this light has a reason for it, hence the function creates the classic Form that says "McGizmo".

(Said statement is only my opinion and can be disputed easily)

Mayo

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a U60XRGT, and it battles with my S27-PD for status as my favorite light of all time, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want 6 extra HDS/NovaTac over 1 LunaSol. BTW, "AT LEAST" ? You don't know how many you have?? If you can't even keep track of them, maybe it's time to diversify a little!

Also, you need to bear in mind that you are adding a significant cost just by going from aluminum to titanium. Both the materials costs and the machining costs are dramatically higher!

Short answer: yes!

Dadof6

Enlightened
Admitedly, I do lose track of my lights once in a while. Being a father of six kids, it is amazing how something you put down in the morning is nowhere to be found in the evening. As I am here typing, my 3 year old just found a fenix under the couch which she uses as her personal night light which she couldn't find last night.

I guess my other thought to the whole thing is with a 5-6hundred dollar light, can I bear for it to be lost under the couch?

Still, if you see me selling lights in the market place, its because I'm going for the lunasol.

Sable

Enlightened
To tell you the bog's honest truth, if I had to pick one light of all the ones I've had my hands on since joining CPF (Everything from The Torch and Mini-Mini HID to a bone-stock Kroma), I'd have to pick the Lunasol. I'd much rather have 600.00USD invested in this one Lunasol than three L1s, to be brutally honest...so, as others have said, short answer: Yes.

If I had to pick two, I'd pick the Ti-PD-S and the Lunasol, for pretty much the same reasons.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think by the time you buy six $100+ flashlights that do basically the same thing, you are not buying them for utilitarian reasons so you might as well stop pretending that you are. These lights are about flashaholic satisfaction and enjoyment of creativity, like buying a painting or going to view the Grand Canyon, but with a functional element. If you appreciate that kind of thing and your financial priorities permit it, then you might as well go for it, instead of spending the $$ on some crap that spewed out of a giant corporation with far less vision and community spirit behind it.

Dadof6

Enlightened
I think by the time you buy six $100+ flashlights that do basically the same thing, you are not buying them for utilitarian reasons so you might as well stop pretending that you are. These lights are about flashaholic satisfaction and enjoyment of creativity, like buying a painting or going to view the Grand Canyon, but with a functional element. If you appreciate that kind of thing and your financial priorities permit it, then you might as well go for it, instead of spending the $$ on some crap that spewed out of a giant corporation with far less vision and community spirit behind it.

paulr:
I buy lights because I like lights. I have many of them and my family uses them, so I don't believe I am pretending anything. I dare say my flashlight to person ratio in my family is much less than most here on this forum and is quite utilitiarian.

I do not believe that Surefire, HDS, or Novatac to be giant corporations spewing out crap. I think although some of your post has merit, but I believe it also contains comments which are innapropriate on this forum.

scottaw

Enlightened
If I had zero lights and $600, i think the better advice would be 6 $100 lights, to put in 6 different places.

As a collector with utilitarian lights in every spot I need one, the thought of a $600 is much more realistic. (except I don't have $600)

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought Titanium lights where a too much for me, until the Lunasol came along . I sold some pretty sentimental lights just to join that club. And thats the only Titanium light thats unique from the rest. You can always have a Kroma but , its not that cool anyway...:thumbsup:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dadof6,

If you are trying to justify the purchase solely based upon function/utility I would think that the answer would be fairly obvious to you and depends on what your needs are. Do you need the benefits of a titanium light? Are the levels appropriate for your tasks? Is the size within the limits of what you are willing to carry around? etc.

Like most other limited run or semi-custom products, I think that it would be fairly hard to justify the purchase based only upon a price to performance ratio.

Like you, I always start with a utilitarian purpose for justification of a new light. If it happens to be a custom one, I personally find that the uniqueness, the relationship with the maker, and the 'story' behind the item adds that extra value that justifies the purchase.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dadof6,
If I can add my 2 cents here...

If you are willing to include a F04 beam shaper with the L1 or HDS then I think you have more versatility with them than the LunaSol. If not, the Lunasol can give you a flood beam without hot spot that the others don't deliver. No idea if that has value for you. If not then the LunaSol would be a mistake regardless of price.

If for some odd reason you would be inclined to drop kick the light down the road on occasion, you would probably get more mileage from the LunaSol. Since I am no doubt biased and my comments therefor subject to discount, I see no reason to pull any punches. The LunaSol has a better sense of humor than those other lights mentioned and that in itself is priceless. :tinfoil:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Everything made by Don is no risk, especially the LunaSol. Buy it, try it, either keep it or sell it fast on Custom B/S/T. Nothing else as hot as that light right now.

I'm also looking at the Lunasol and wondering if there is something about that light that is going to perform better than the lights I already have...
In addition to the other comments, the clip (like all his lights) is gorilla strong - it takes a thumb & forefinger to lift the clip slightly to slide it onto a pocket. You will not bend over & have this light fall out of a pocket:D