Best / Brightest AAA/AA light for under $20

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a light for my friend that runs off AAA's or AA's any number. I want to get it for him as a gift. I would like to keep it limited to a light from DX or KD. I would like the lumen output to be over 100.

So far a few that look good are:

Ultrafire C3

Romisen RC-W4

I would like output to be at least 30-40 minutes, 1hr is better. No lithium only lights, just ones that can run off both.

Any other options / Suggestions?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Bigsy

Enlightened
Aye, my vote goes for the RC-N3, it feels great in the hand, bright, decent runtime, forward clicky.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aye, my vote goes for the RC-N3, it feels great in the hand, bright, decent runtime, forward clicky.
+1

The RC-N3 is superb and I may get another one. The Ultrafire 606 also takes 2aa's and is brighter.

The RC-G2 is great and very well made for $11 but is not so bright and nowhere near 100 lumens. I still love mine though even unmodified.

My Ultrafire C3 5-mode was not a good light and I was dissapointed with it but others have had better experiences.

Avoid 3aaa lights if possible.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It would be hard if not impossible to find a decent stock AAA/AA powered and over 100 lumen at that price range. Some 3 AAA light might be able to hit over 100 lumen, but that will only last a few minutes on alkaline batteries, much better runtime with NiMh batteries.

I'd pick the RC-N3 for AA powered at that price range.

The KD AAA light will have really short runtime.

Last edited:

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Have you checked out my thread? I've revied most of those so you'll be able to make a direct comparison of output / runtime.
But I haven't got every photos / run-times tests yet complete. I'll get them up when I have some more free time at night. =)

Anyways, RC-N3 with 2AA isn't that super bright.
RC-W4 with 3AAA is much brighter and still runs for over 35mins.

Also, no one has reviewed this yet but..
You may also consider this KD Buckle V4 AAA flashlight with a Cree Q5.
Q5 is driven at current regulated 350mA. So it's good for 100+ lumens.
I expect runtime to be ~30 mins. I think it could be a winner imo.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=178248

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Centropolis are you talking about a 10440, or a energizer lithium 1.7v cell?

------

I wouldn't mind the KD Buckle Q5 for myself, but I wanted my friends light to have more practical run time.

How bright is the RC-N3 on two Ni-Hm's? I really like the clip and the ability to make it a 1xCR123A light...

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the RC-G2 at all check out the RC-G2 with Q5

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177920

With shipping the the CPF discount its a touch over the 20 dollar limit but better spill. Not strictly speaking a DX/KD light but he got a special run with the upgraded emitter on a light that's normally carried there. Bennie also reviewed it in his thread.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened

This flashlight sounds too good to be true. Some concern about using a RCR123. Do you have any thoughts?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the RC-G2 and RC-N3 are too weak.

The RC-W4 seems to be a lot brighter. 135 lux vs 60 of the RC-G2. Over double the brightness? How about the lumens?

bessiebenny

Enlightened
The RC-W4 seems to be a lot brighter. 135 lux vs 60 of the RC-G2. Over double the brightness? How about the lumens?

You seems to be referring to my lightbox values. It's not scientific but I believe my lightbox values are quite close to actual lumens values plus or minus up to 15% of error/variations. So yes. It is about double the brightness. I can tell the difference even by just looking at the two beams side by side. It's coz RC-G2 is about 1W max where as RC-W4 runs at around 3W at the LED coz of the driver and input voltage difference.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious...

Can the RC-N3 be configured to a 1AA format, using just the AA extender tube by itself? A 1x14500 should give longer run times than a 1xRCR123.

:p

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know anything about the ROMISEN RC-U4... It's a little more than I'd like to spend but it looks nice... Or the RC-KF Both look nice...

Last edited: