"upgrading" while transitioning between EDC "layers"

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i started as a backpacker/survivalist then tacticool ninja then EDCer. just recently turned flashaholic (thanks CPF!) although i am NOT a collector.

quick background on EDC "layers" - i go by the ~concentric ring or layer principle. start with items on my person, then have items in my bag, and items at work, and at home, and in the car etc. wherever i go, at a minimum i have 1 layer of gear on me, and am usually further prepared with 1-2+ other layers depending on where im at. ie on the way to work i have body+bag, then at work i have body+bag+work gear.

as an extension of this, i also have lights stashed all around the house - different lights in different places for different reasons. tactical by the bed, as well as another for "pajama duty" to move around the house at night (and a luce de notte too :naughty: ). larger lights by the door if i need to grab one when i leave. smaller lights by cabinets when i need to hunt for things, etc.

ok now to get to my original point, which i thought was a funny phenomenon that i realized last night - while moving around if you are near other lights, do you "upgrade" ie switch over to the better light? last night i got up from the bed, grabbed my E01 (will be replaced with a novatac 120p on low low soon) and went to the kitchen. on the way to the kitchen, saw the zebralight H50 on a door handle, so switched from the E01 to that. then right by the kitchen was a TK10, so i switched to that. but then i needed my hands free for a bit and the TK10 doesnt tailstand so i went back to the zebralight. then on the way back to bed, put all the lights back...

i know im weird, but i know im not alone here... right?

:whistle:

p.s. also realized that the novatac 120P is the perfect pajama duty light. can start on low low for moving around, with a quick high if needed for things that went bump. any other suggestions for this setup?

Zenster

Enlightened
p.s. also realized that the novatac 120P is the perfect pajama duty light. can start on low low for moving around, with a quick high if needed for things that went bump. any other suggestions for this setup?

For a person who exhibits traits of ADS Syndrome by the way you actively switch from one light to another during one nightime excursion :)crackup:), you do seem to be reasonably focused on how good the 120P is for just about any situation.

There are drugs you can take for the ADS... but for the Flashaholicism?.. Sorry. You're screwed. :naughty:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do the same thing. When out and about I have my Arc AAA in my pocket and usually a E2d or 6PL in my backpack. When I get home and stow my backpack, empty my pockets, and change into "evening wear" I pocket my E1e w/Aussie mini tower for night use.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a person who exhibits traits of ADS Syndrome by the way you actively switch from one light to another during one nightime excursion :)crackup:), you do seem to be reasonably focused on how good the 120P is for just about any situation.

There are drugs you can take for the ADS... but for the Flashaholicism?.. Sorry. You're screwed. :naughty:

heh, yeah probably. i blame television.

just ordered a lumapower incendio last night, gonna try it out for lightweight bummin around + PJ duty as well - the 120Ps kinda heavy to keep in your sweats pocket!

smopoim86

Enlightened
That was an interesting read. I did that untill i got my Jet-I IBS. I edc it and sit it on my night stand every night. I have low set to as low as it will go and it is low enough that my eyes don't have to adjust much from complete darkeness, but if i need a lot of light it can put out more than any other light i have that size.

Definitely sounds like you have ADS.

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I'm definately with you on the jetbeam as a general use light. but I keep the jet II on me at all times. Aside from haveing a very low-low it also has an adjustable beam and you could remove the head completely and use it light a zebralight. Plus the jet II ibs has an incredible amount of light when needed.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Jet-I MK IBS is on my list, but im on the fence on it. the low low would be nice, but i guess we'll see how the IncenDio works out first.