Streamlight Supertac queries..Is it worth buying?

Dragunov65

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all,
I am new here to this Forum and as such I say Hi to you all.I am a Flashlight Enthusiast too.I am currently trying to find out about the Streamlight Supertac.Anyway I cant find anything about it.I was thinking of purchasing it.I wondered if anyone has actually bought one and has some experiences good or bad with it.Is it worth buying? I found some threads about it on CPF forums but no actual firsthand reviews .
Many Thanks for any help:grin2:

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
Dragun:

I have a fairly detailed review for the Super Tac on the Brightguy.com web site. Junt bring up the light and then go to "reviews."

The Super Tac is not the ultimate throw light. If that is what you crave, then look at the Dereelight or Tiablo product line. What the Super Tac does give you is a really good long distance beam for a 135 lumen output LED plus the benefit of a lifetime warranty, both at a reasonable price. Do be aware that the head on this light is BIG, so it is not a good EDC light. It IS a very good task specific light and I find that it fills my need for a good throw light (300-400 foot useable beam) that provides for momentary use without the need for warmup and cool down time to protect the bulb of a HID lantern.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the money you can't beat it. It will illuminate objects 600 feet away. I like mine a lot.

Bill

click

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend up north that likes this light, but's getting up there in age and all that cold is starting to effect his coordination.

GreySave

Enlightened
I am going to revise my comments a bit. I have never had a way to measure the actual throw of this light. Last week I attended a 32 hour exercise in an area of a neighboring county that was remote enough to offer total darkness. I did a couple of tests using tree lines and on site structures such as barns, corrals, etc...

After reading Bill's comments and remembering our prior discussion I decided to use Google Earth to measure the distance of the areas I was lighting. Based upon those measurements and where I was standing at the time, the Super Tac was easily throwing 500 feet with plenty of head room to go. Obviously, this is totally dependent upon the accuracy of Google Earth's measuring tool.

I have to say that given this new information I am extremely satisfied with the performance of this light. It is a real sleeper, and if you can get past the size I must totally agree with Bill in that I don't think you can beat it for the money at this point in time.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to revise my comments a bit. I have never had a way to measure the actual throw of this light. Last week I attended a 32 hour exercise in an area of a neighboring county that was remote enough to offer total darkness. I did a couple of tests using tree lines and on site structures such as barns, corrals, etc...

After reading Bill's comments and remembering our prior discussion I decided to use Google Earth to measure the distance of the areas I was lighting. Based upon those measurements and where I was standing at the time, the Super Tac was easily throwing 500 feet with plenty of head room to go. Obviously, this is totally dependent upon the accuracy of Google Earth's measuring tool.

I have to say that given this new information I am extremely satisfied with the performance of this light. It is a real sleeper, and if you can get past the size I must totally agree with Bill in that I don't think you can beat it for the money at this point in time.

Wether or not you can see anything with your eyes at 200 yards is a different story, but I used a Bushnell laser rangefinder to measure off 200 yards to a building and I could clearly see light on the side of the building at 200 yards. Since it was not completely dark I could not tell how useful the light was at that distance, but it definitly throws that far. At distances under 200 yards this light is very useful. Like you said Alan, it is not a EDC size light but a good task specific light for someone who would like an alternative to a HID.

supertacmotorcyclewe2.jpg

Bill

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's also the WF-600 that seems to be of similar size and performance, but it isn't as well built and requires a less common battery battery. Shipping is also slow.

So for some, the Supertac is definitely worth buying.

:welcome:

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
I just placed an order for my Super Tac last week and received it the following day. It's nice to be friends with the line leader of the Super Tac line. I've always disliked the ugly bell shape of the Super Tac, but I like the runtime and lumens it offers.

Last night, I compared the Super Tac to the Ultra Stinger and Stinger LED. I was surprised how far the throw was on the Super Tac compared to the other two lights. I might have to grab a couple more of these lights. I bought the light with the holster, so I use mine for EDC. The holster isn't the best, but we have a lifetime warranty on the holster.

We offer the Super Tac with holster PN 88700 or in a blister pack PN 88701. I went with the holster because it was only $2 more for me. Keep in mind I get employee discount, so I'm sure there is a bigger difference at the retail end.

I plan on refinishing my Ultra and Super Tac in FDE to match my SBS Tromix, AR15 and XD45. I'm not a fan of black, so I figured I'd add some color to my dull lights.

Dragunov65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Everybody for your help.Decisions Decisions .Still trying to make up my mind if i can live with the large size of the Supertac and it's ungainly Appearance.I guess I Can.I will get back to you all :grin2:

Latest posts