Which light is perfect for me?

Nico87

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys (and girls if there are some)

first of all: my English is not the best, so in the following text there will be misstakes...just ignore them...

I have a little problem: a few month ago, I blew out my L1/2T 2.0 (with cr123 body). Now I need a new Light. I need the Light for normal EDC, going for a night walk with the dog, camping ect.. First I though, it would be the best to buy a new L1T because I have the bodys an swiches at home, but then I saw some other lights....First it was the TK10...then the Novatac 120p/e and then the L1 Lumamax.

So my options would be:
-to get a L1t an a TK10 (one EDC an one for hard use)
-to get a L1
-to wait some more month to get the money for a Novatac...if I'd do this, it should be a P..

I think the L1 is a nice light...but it has at least no sidespill, and it`s not as bight as the TK 10...especial when I go for a walk with the dog I need a good throw.

What do you think about the lights?

Thank you

Nico

HKJ

Flashaholic
So my options would be:
-to get a L1t an a TK10 (one EDC an one for hard use)
-to get a L1
-to wait some more month to get the money for a Novatac...if I'd do this, it should be a P..

I have most of the current Fenix lights and also the NovaTac.
As a general purpose flashlight I believe the TK10 is the best light. The low level for general purpose and the high level if your want to see something a bit off.

The NovaTac is also a very good light, but does not give as much light as the TK10. As an EDC it is way better than TK10, it can be adjusted for a low level for indoor use at night and a moderate high level when your want to light everything up. And also everything in between.

I can not really say much about the L1 yet.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Guten Tag!(I came back from Bonn a few days ago)

I'd say get another L1/2T V2.0 or L1/2D-CE Q5.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Then save up for a more throwy light (You'll probably get both anyways).

Out of those, the T10 will have the most throw.

Nico87

Newly Enlightened
Guden Moin...nicht aus Bonn aber aus Kaiserslautern...
(Hello...not from bonn,but kaiserslautern)
so thank you guys....I think the Novatac will have to wait.

So now there is the desicion between L1T (I had a L1D...I dont like that much modes)+TK10 and a L1.

Does anybody have the L1 and rhe TK10 and can say something about the differences in qualety? And might be about the differences of the throwability (is the a word like this???)

Thanks

Last edited:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
Is the tk10 like some of the other fenix lights in that it is not recommended to use it on turbo for more than 10 minutes at a time?

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Is the tk10 like some of the other fenix lights in that it is not recommended to use it on turbo for more than 10 minutes at a time?

I have a Fenix T10. Whilst on turbo mode, the light heats up very quick. I couldn't tell you what would happen if you kept it on for longer than 10 minutes though.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L1 CREE and a brand new TK10. IMO the building quality is similar but of course I can't say anything about the useful life, ask again in ten years' time. ;)

Leaving out a discussion concerning emitter lumens and torch lumens you have to consider that the maximum level of the L1 is the same as the minimum of the TK10 so we are talking two rather different lights. L1 is a 1x123 while the Fenix is a 2x123.
Personally I think that TK10 is a bit too powerful for mundane applications like walking the dog but of course it all depends on where you do that (Black Forest?). :grin2:

Nico87

Newly Enlightened
could you test how big the differences between L1 high and TK10 high in throw are? The L1 should be, compared to the TK10 , underratet and more focused.

And: is the L1 too "throwy" for proper use indoor or to search something that fell into the grass?

Nico

Last edited:

Nico87

Newly Enlightened
After I thought a little bit about pros and cons, I decided too try to repair my L1T. I'll have just one mode afer this, but this is ok.

But this won't change my problem either to take a TK10 or a L1 for non EDC (camping/outdoor/walks ect.)

Nico

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I said the two lights are rather different, starting from their size and weight:

cimg0929fz2.jpg

It is difficult to carry the TK10 in a pocket and you have to use the supplied sheath. L1 can easily fit in a pocket. L1 weighs 95 grams while TK10 170 grams, both with batteries.

TK10 has a nice beam with a clean hotspot and a lot of spill. I can illuminate some houses that are at about 150 m behind my home on the other side of a narrow valley with a creek at the bottom. L1 can't do that, it has a larger hotspot and not much spill. I think it does not go much farther than 60 m.

As always there's no such thing as a 'best' light: it all depends on what you need it for. For close range work L1 is superior and can be easily used around the house. If you want to see what is happening 100+ metres away only TK10 can help you.

I made my choice following the purest CPF style: I bought both. :grin2:

Nico87

Newly Enlightened
So I think the best (for me) is to get the TK. I like to have sidespill (allthrough I didn't have a light without). And the 200Lm will surely be impressive. At least I'll buy a Surefire when they have a few new models with newer LEDs....lets say in a few years...and I'm sure to have a litle bit money in my pocket for it then.

Ah....two more things:
1. The tactical ring repacement ring *g* looks very yellowish...is it like that or is it coppercolored like it is on the Fenix own pictures?
2. The L1 has a klick-momentary on turn-on tailcap...but how can you change between high and low?

Thank you for your help

Nico

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. The tactical ring repacement ring *g* looks very yellowish...is it like that or is it coppercolored like it is on the Fenix own pictures?
2. The L1 has a klick-momentary on turn-on tailcap...but how can you change between high and low?

1. With my LCD screen if I place the actual light beside the picture the two look identical. To my eyes the ring is yellowish.

2. For momentary you push the button slightly for low and deeply for high level. For continuous you screw in the tailcap: it starts on low and screwing further in it goes to high.

:wave:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As for TK10 vs the L1 in output, The T10 will be brighter and throw further, but it also uses 2 batteries and be larger.

Reviews:
TK10, L1