P60 UV?

Superdave

Enlightened
I've seen the P60 UV setup that Ultrafire sells (and the complaints about it).. :rolleyes:

anyone know of any other P60 UV drop ins?

Also, saw this on kaidomain: http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3246

Might grab that and mount it in a ebay dropin as well..

I use my current UV MagAA for automotive leak detection but want something that'll take a little more abuse and runs on 123's

Thanks for any other information,
Dave

Bigsy

Enlightened
Its very easy to desolder that KD UV led from the star, this is exactly what I did...It's very good too takes some real punishment, certainly more than that weedy 1w DX led.

*DX 7882 driver (or KD3150) This driver has tweakable output so you can tune it to meet your needs.
*DX OP dropin kit.
*KD 3w led
*Some thermal epoxy to hold (and isolate) led slug.

Solder it all together and bypass modes on the driver (led +ive direct to mode pic leg)

I'm driving the UV led at around 1.4a (6w'ish) and the amount of UV this thing throws out is unbelievable, which makes up for is poor wavelength as the shear volume of UV seems to pick up everything......But obviously wouldn't recommend running for long periods at this current as it gets super HOT!!

RIMG0004Small.JPG

RIMG0006Small.JPG

RIMG0005Small.JPG

Last edited:

Superdave

Enlightened
Sweet, i'll have to give that a try, thanks :D

For now i modded my Mag 2D to take the 1W UV Dropin from my AA, the throw is crazy. it puts a nice UV spot about 30'. I'll grab a beamshot tonight.

Bigsy

Enlightened
Yeah, I have a ultrafire 502b modded with an aspheric lens which I can put this UV pill into, that will project the UV spot 50, 60 plus meters.... However, its completely the opposite beam profile you want on a UV light :D

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee.... Fancy seeing you here SuperDave!

:D

http://isaachayes.home.mchsi.com/leds/2C-Mags/
My purple 2C uses a Cree UV at 350ma and it's very nice! :D

Getting one of those and putting it in place of a cree p60 drop in would be a great idea and the beam would work fine with the reflector as the older UV cree has roughly the same beam profile as the XR-E's. I forget what place sells those UV crees.

Superdave

Enlightened
Gee.... Fancy seeing you here SuperDave!

:D

http://isaachayes.home.mchsi.com/leds/2C-Mags/
My purple 2C uses a Cree UV at 350ma and it's very nice! :D

Getting one of those and putting it in place of a cree p60 drop in would be a great idea and the beam would work fine with the reflector as the older UV cree has roughly the same beam profile as the XR-E's. I forget what place sells those UV crees.

Sweet.. yah, i guess us geeks all end up in the same places on the net. One of my techs is a member on here (socom1970 iirc) and i joined for the heck of it.

this is the UV LED that i'm using in my 2D: http://cgi.ebay.com/TERRALUX-UV-Ult...967672QQihZ018QQcategoryZ106987QQcmdZViewItem

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the terralux uses the UV Cree xlamp 7090. There is a 3 watt version too IIRC, or you could just overdrive it too in a P60 drop in..

ptirmal

Enlightened
what complaints have you heard regarding the ultrafire uv p60 style light?

bdsmchs

Newly Enlightened
I picked up 3 of the UV ultrafire lights (WF-502b). One to keep stock, one to have a spare UV pill (I already swapped it out for a Cree Q5 dropin), and one to mod.

The light itself is built well enough. I have no major complaints.

However, I'm also having issues finding a 3W UV LED. Seems like no one makes one anymore. The store mentioned in this thread earlier has the 1W LEDS. They will probably still be an improvement over this thing stock, but I don't want a small improvement. I want a kick-*** improvement :)

Any ideas?

bdsmchs

Newly Enlightened
Apparently I'm also dumb. Heh. I didn't realize that the 3W UV LED was still available from KD. I may have had it crossed with DX.

Maybe I'll just have to buy a couple of both and do a shootout sometime.

Citivolus

Enlightened
Having purchased the Ultrafire, I must say that it was a bit longer wavelength than I was after. It doesn't light up the security features on ID or credit cards nearly as well as my less intense, deeper UV fluorescent light. I wouldn't really rely on it for checking IDs or counterfeit detection.

That wasn't my main usage for it anyway, but had I had a decent UV light with me in China, it would have paid for itself very quickly while riding around in taxis :laughing:

For pet stain detection on carpets, you can tell that it is just at the upper limit of what will make them fluoresce, and that a deeper light would make a substantial difference.

Regards,
Eric

LEDite

Enlightened
The most useful UV emitter is the newest Cree XRE 3 Watt. It is 395 nm.

Unfortunately, Cree has dropped them from production, in order to concentrate on White LEDs.

We have a ample supply, but they are dedicated for the UV lights we are building.

Larry

bdsmchs

Newly Enlightened
The most useful UV emitter is the newest Cree XRE 3 Watt. It is 395 nm.

Unfortunately, Cree has dropped them from production, in order to concentrate on White LEDs.

We have a ample supply, but they are dedicated for the UV lights we are building.

Larry

ANY idea where else to get one of these bad boys? I would really like to obtain a couple of them.