*Name That Fish*

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunday afternoon I'm fishing with a new rig. I'm pleased with it. It's just a composite eight footer by Shimano with a Diawa Crossfire running 20 lb SuperBraid. I'm not tearing them up at all but I'm getting some production.

Then I sense that there's something going on in the area. The humans were prairie dogging. Lots a people were looking at a guy about 35 yds. up from me. There was a flurry of activity. When I saw what he had it looked to be one of the largest I've seen. Here's some of his assistants displaying what the guy caught:

SpoonbillTrimmed.jpg

SpoonbillsNoseTrimmed.jpg

Honestly, I get a queasy feeling when I see these prehistoric fish being caught. I fish for bass, crappie and sometimes walleye. Well, it's legal here and the man that caught it will turn it into steaks and serve it to his family as opposed to just harvesting it for the caviar.

This one looked to be about 40 lbs. The US record is 198 lbs. I'd liked to have seen that one. Historically, some native Americans highly regarded the oil from this fish for its medicinal characteristics. It is suspected that this fish has electrosensory receptors in its rostrum that can detect some weak electrical fields suggesting that they use their rostrum as an antenna to detect zooplankton.

Anyway, I thought this might be of some interest.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dude caught this fairly large *Name That Fish*

I'm with you. I really don't like to see any large sexually mature fish killed. I get furious when I see jerks with pics of big sharks that they'll just cut the jaws from and dump the fish (illegal in most places). There's plenty of smaller fish that are better eating and don't deplete the resource.

BTW - it's a paddlefish. Was very rare in some places due dams limiting their upstream spawning movement but has made a great comeback and so is now legal to catch and keep in most states.

They're filter feeders, so he probably "snagged" it. Legal some places and about the only way you can fish specifically for these fish.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm guessing the Arkansas or Mississipi River (or tribs)!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

BIGIRON got it all right including first guess on the river. I'll try to post a photo of the lock and dam tonight or tomorrow. Most of the guys around here call them spoonbill catfish but yes, paddlefish is the correct name. Fossils have been found that indicate they were around before the dinosaurs.

Snaggers. Yeah. We bass fishermen say that word as if it were a bit of a disparagement. Not real fishermen. Well, technically I guess they are so we all get along just fine. Some guys do both. Some guys fish any way they can. Heck, I'll throw a cricket on a bream bed in a heartbeat. Then there was the kid last year that was using a barely operational Zebco, a bobber and dead minnows. A bobber in a fast moving river? Poor kid. Then he yanks out a nice crappie. Shear luck. Then he yanks out a 2 1/2 lb hybrid. We were all kinda chuckling about that. Then this hardcore yet friendly and helpful, soft-spoken fisherman standing there with two rigs worth around $400.00 and a small tackle box with another $300.00 or so dollars worth of lures and gear in it said, "I don't know s#it."

We all really cracked up over that. This guy is kinda legendary around here. The kid's face lit up displaying a very bright smile. He said, "Aw naw, sir. I've been watching you. You're alright." The rest of us lost it on that one.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a while the lake record largemouth (13lb +, IIRC) on Lake Fork, in East Texas, one of the best known "big bass" lakes, was held by a crappie fisherman -- useing a small shiner minnow and thin gold colored hook.

Groundhog66

Banned

For a while the lake record largemouth (13lb +, IIRC) on Lake Fork, in East Texas, one of the best known "big bass" lakes, was held by a crappie fisherman -- useing a small shiner minnow and thin gold colored hook.

WOW Dave, I had no idea your last name was Winkleman.....:laughing:

(I hope you get my wear reference....:sigh:)

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do I really look like a "Babe" ??????

Fishin' is what we do. We rushed the Justice of the Peace thru the wedding ceremony so we could get to the river. March 1 - opening day of trout season, dontcha know. No joke.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I've certainly done a bit of fishing in my day, however I've never seen one of these. Appreciate the share for sure!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Texas hog record on a live bait crappie rig. L O L !

Here's the lock and dam. The hydro plant is behind you to the right. You are standing on an island.

IMG_0360.jpg

At night its lit up by LEDs that transition through colors and sometimes do a little dance.

IMG_0328.jpg

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jake, a regular hard-core and super nice guy, was after catfish on the hydro side and caught this thing. I have no idea what he plans on doing with it. Wish the tail was showing. It adds another 10/12 inches. I think that's his cousin helping him with the pic. I had to ask him what it was.

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

What I would call a "gaspergou" or "buffalofish". Type of freshwater drum. Excellent eating.

What did the fisherman call it? It really doesn't have all the characteristics of the buffalofish.

I've always been surprised at the number of fisherman who consider freshwater drum fish "trash" fish. They are excellent eating with firm, white and mild tasting meat.

Maybe we can start a thread called "Name That Fish". Similar to Weird Al's "Wheel of Fish".

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaspergou. Thank you. I haven't heard that term since I lived in Louisiana. I know gaspergou well. They have two little bone-like "stones" in their head. When I was much younger and less nature-friendly I took some stones from about eight gaspergous.

From region to region all these names gets confusing. Plus the fisherman start calling species things they aren't so that's confusing to me. In Arkansas they call a gaspergou a white drum. I think I have this next part right. They call a black drum a black drum. Then this critter that looks like a black drum but has a high forehead, they call it a buffalo.

I've never tried to cook any of them but I remember as a kid my brother brought home a bunch of gaspergou. My mom fried up the fillets and they where quite rubbery. Some locals are quite happy if you give them a white drum or gaspergou. Some will only take the black drums. Still others act as though you've given them a great treat if you give them a buffalo. They take the big ribs and rib meat and barbeque them. On the other drum, some folks have explained that they steam bake them until the little bones just about disappear. Others say they make a big pot of fish stew with them.

Jake and the other hard-cores call that fish a big head carp. I think the more correct term might be large mouth drum. Yes, I get confused by these names.

A "Name that fish" thread is a great idea. We can do that with this one if you like. Although I think I'll have to go fishing in another country to get one past you.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately these guys won't stay off my line. They are mingling with the hybrids and stripers going after bait fish. Real good fighters. This one was maybe 3lbs. Right after him I caught a 6lber. At first I thought I had an 8 or 9lb striper then he went into a familiar pattern, run away/fight/relax/dive hard/run to me/fight/try to walk me to the next town. Released both unharmed.

IMG_0459.jpg

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think White Amur or "grass carp". Might be the famous jumping carp from the Mississippi tribs around StLouis. I would really like to see that. A buddy and I have had serious conversations about making a trip for that purpose.

"What did you do for vacation?" "Went to StLouis and watched carp jump."

Icebreak, you're getting some serious fishing done. That's why I love river and saltwater fishing so much. You never really know what it'll be.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I love river and saltwater fishing so much. You never really know what it'll be.

I know! Well, about the river fishing anyway. Very exciting to not know what you might get. One day I'd like to salt-water fish. Never done that. It's looks like tons of fun. Plus, at $18.99 a pound for Chilean Sea Bass the trip could pay for itself. That's right isn't it? Salt-water fishing pays for itself?

I'm about to head out again. Maybe the tornadoes will stir up the hybrids. Arkansas River...whew!...gotta love it.

Latest posts