Q's about the Fenix L2D Q5

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Probably. The L2D gives out 12 lumens on the low setting, but regulated. The Minimag is 15.2 lumens, but this will diminish very quickly, particularly on alkalines. It is likely after 10 minutes that the L2D will be brighter.

2)Multi-mode system is not that complicated. Keep the bezel untightened for the light to be in general mode. Then, click once to turn on it 'low', and then tap the switch lightly to bump it up to medium.

3)Yes, you can expect an excellent lifetime out of Eneloops. I am pretty sure the runtimes were conducted using freashly charged Sanyo 2700s. However, these have appalling self-discharge, so in real use, the Eneloops will last longer.

4)I would not recommend less expensive lights. The Fenix drivers are the most efficient around. Anything else will just disappoint.

5)You are actually quite sane. 123 powered lights are good where you use them infrequently, or you don't have to pay for the cells. However, high-performance cells such as Eneloops are king in the everyday usage world. I have actually retired my 123 powered lights in favour of rechargeable options.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Probably. The L2D gives out 12 lumens on the low setting, but regulated. The Minimag is 15.2 lumens, but this will diminish very quickly, particularly on alkalines. It is likely after 10 minutes that the L2D will be brighter.

Comparing a MM on brand new alkies to the L2D on some NiMH which need to be discharged and there is no contest. The L2D makes the MM bleed ;)

Perhaps if the bulb was new in the MM, then there could be a bit more of a comparison, but I doubt it ;)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jarl, that would be my suspicion too. I guess that due to bulb blackening, poor quality plastic reflector and poor transmission plastic window, the actual torch lumens out of the MM is significantly less.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you that switching through the modes is really easy and after you've had the light a while you do it almost without having to think about it.

As far as brightness goes, I have the L0D Q4 1xAAA which I have done some off-the-porch-into-the-woods testing comparing with a Maglight 3xD.
Even on the brightest setting the Mag still won, but not by much, and with its ringy pattern the tiny L0D was better for being able to discern what I was seeing.

There's my 2cents and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer all the rest for you.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. the low on L2d beats my mag 2d incan and will certainly kill the minimag aa while doing 48+ hours

2. after a few minutes you will have it locked down and it willl be second nature operation

3. this review was done with eneloops

Turbo 02:01 to 50%
High 04:13 to 50%
Medium 09:54 to 50%
Low 48+ hours

4. 5ex upgrade to your minimag would be cheaper and good but i would still get the L2d

5. i feel the same way , when you need a battery on the spot and you go into a store it would run you $10 for a single battery, where for that same money i can get a 4 pack of AA energizer E2 lithiums

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. Yes(not in throw though).
2. Simple. It should only take a minute to figure out.
3. Yes
4. Not that I know of.
5. No, you aren't crazy.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".(shipping is included in the price)

Belker

Newly Enlightened
I recently got the L2D CE Q5 as my first "modern" flashlight. I picked it because it seemed to be high performance & reliability per dollar and because I think AA flashlights make the most sense from a practicality standpoint. Low is definately brighter than a incan 2AA minimag and high is definately brighter than incan 3D maglite. Medium mode is three steps away (1) pick up the light, (2) press the switch, (3) immediately half press the switch to go from low to medium, and can be done very quickly. I am also new to Eneloops and they seem to be working well for me. The main reason i see to getting a 123 light is if you want the overall length of the light to be shorter for everyday pocket carry. I got my L2D from fenix-store to get their extended warranty and used the cpf discount.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks, really helpful!

Just one more: How durable is the red filter (not the glowstick)? Is it a nice glass or polycarb lens fitting securely onto the head, or just a simple pressure fitting gimmick that I'll be replacing in a year?

Actually that is one that I can answer. I have a friend who decided to try the red filter and was immediately impressed with it. I don't remember if it was glass or not, but I do know it is fairly high quality. It just is held on by friction but his went through the washing machine without any sign of problems. Never even came off the head. He EDC's it with the filter on. Quality piece.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've heard the red filter is a friction fit piece with a glass filter.

<edit>
Is the L2T body tube compatible with the L1D head? If so, I'm thinking I might buy the whole thing as a L1D from EliteLED, and add in a $6 L2T tube for a bit more flexibility.

Feasible? Looks like it's just threading, and I've read that the tailcaps fit from one to the other (although it messes with the electronics).

Depends on which L2T you are speaking of. If it's the newer V2.0 version, then it will work. If not, it won't work.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks, really helpful!

Just one more: How durable is the red filter (not the glowstick)? Is it a nice glass or polycarb lens fitting securely onto the head, or just a simple pressure fitting gimmick that I'll be replacing in a year?

It's pretty durable but will break if it's not on your light and you sit on it. I managed to crack my red filter's plastic housing by sitting on it. Just a small crack but it was enough to prevent the "pressure fitting" red filter from staying securely on the Fenix light.

The good news is two wraps with black electrical tape has fixed it, and matches perfectly. Almost as good as new. It's currently on my L1D that I EDC.

-edit-
The Fenix-Store states that the red filter is "
Made with a toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating and high temperature resistance."
Just for fun, I measured the thickness of the glass. The glass is 1/16 of an inch thick.

Last edited: