brightest and shortest aaa

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for it- the v4 over at KD is a great start, 110 lumens and 77mm long, 16.5 diameter, takes a 10440, and is 20 bucks. anybody can beat that ? I'm more into bright than runtime. people now know me as a flashlight guy, so they expect something cool when I turn it on. I wouldn't mind one especially designed for a 10440 as opposed to either or. ideas?

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I am looking for it- the v4 over at KD is a great start, 110 lumens and 77mm long, 16.5 diameter, takes a 10440, and is 20 bucks. anybody can beat that ? I'm more into bright than runtime. people now know me as a flashlight guy, so they expect something cool when I turn it on. I wouldn't mind one especially designed for a 10440 as opposed to either or. ideas?

I don't think the V4 takes a 10440, the voltage range is .8V-3.2V, but I could be wrong.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Jet-u is 72mm, and its brighter by far compared to the E01

good luck finding one though...

and IIRC, the KD Buckle lights were never meant to take 10440s, you could risk it, it will go DD, who knows, maybe we'll end up with an LOD type situation...

Crenshaw

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
KD buckle light with 10440 = poof instantly. I know I tried. It is bright though on NI-MH. But 100 lumens? I don't think so, I have many AAA lights and three other ones are brighter. The build quality is OK for the money but not more than that.

The brightest shortest AAA I own is the Arcmania Extreme III. It's noticeably brighter than any of the mentioned lights on 10440.

Just MHO, lyrrag

Illum

Flashaholic
I think the L0D-CE Q4 might be your best bet on shortest and brightest, but your not going to see 110 lumens from 1AAA, its not possible with current LED technology or drivers. Forget what you read on labels.

its best to keep in mind the fenix E01 and arc GS too...these are keepers when the going gets tough, but somewhat dim since they use 5mm LEDs. the L0D has no knurling and prone to dings and scratches:candle:. Five modes, and a screamer on 10440s, you really can't complain :D

Last edited:

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
so the fenix lod for now on 10440, any idea on the lumens? the published figure is 75 with the q4 on turbo, so... 100 maybe? and the lite flux, any idea on the specs on that one on a 10440?

Illum

Flashaholic
well, so far the L0D-CE on 1440 is still a questionable method to powering the light...some in previous threads have told the fates of their L0D-CEs dying or flickering after installation of a 10440 while among others the appraisal of exceptional performance.

Keep note that the utilization of a 10440 voids the warranty. I think your better off just using a L92 energizer lithium. the L0D-CE on high will burn through a duracell alkaline in just short of 20 minutes
heres the runtimes made by chevrofreak...I can't find the thread at the moment, pic rehosted

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
According to several retailers, the Tiablo MA1 is rated at 110 lumens with a AAA battery. Unfortunately as threads here can attest those numbers are worthless. Good luck finding such a light.

cv3po

Banned
I guess you've never handled the LiteFlux LF2X?

I have (although the older ssc version, I know the LF2X is brighter). The LF2X does compete (even edge ahead?) with the LOD on brightness with a given battery type. The LOD, however, wins most other catagories including runtime (by a fair amount), ease of use, consistency (with the LF2 you never really KNOW what mode or setting you'll get next) and durability/reliability. IMO, having a twisty programmable light is insane. "to access this mode just do 10/20 twist cycles................yeah right! The LOD is simple, reliable, efficient, very bright and you can use most aaa sized batteries (although 10440's aren't recommended, many CPF users use them and if you search you wont find many, if any, failures). The LOD just wins for most folks...........................:grin2:

Last edited:

Dodge

Newly Enlightened
A L0D on 10440 is direct-driving a Q4 emitter with (up to) 4.2V.

I don't think there's any current limit on a 10440, I just shorted mine with my ammeter and it gave me 12.5A (for a very brief period - not sure that was a sensible thing to do!)

So we should be talking about the best part of 200 led lumens. Don't see why that shouldn't be 150 or so real lumens out the front.

It's never going to be a thrower with that tiny reflector, but it's a fantastic medium-flood.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, having a twisty programmable light is insane. "to access this mode just do 10/20 twist cycles................yeah right!

insanely cool is what it is...;)

i think most people want the LF2X after getting a L0D because of
1. manufacturor supported 10440 support
2. lower low.

yes, the LOD is simpler,but reliability aside... i find it a hassle to have to switch twice to get low mode....especially if i am in a place that a cannot have loads of light..like in a theatre..

It's never going to be a thrower with that tiny reflector, but it's a fantastic medium-flood.

DSC00480.jpg

:naughty:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

cv3po

Banned
insanely cool is what it is...;)

i think most people want the LF2X after getting a L0D because of
1. manufacturor supported 10440 support
2. lower low.

yes, the LOD is simpler,but reliability aside... i find it a hassle to have to switch twice to get low mode....especially if i am in a place that a cannot have loads of light..like in a theatre..

Crenshaw

The lower low thing is the only benefit that I agree with. I carry a yellow photon for low level needs so for me this isn't a concern but it might be for some. As far as having to go past medium to get low, why cant you just stick your finger over it or put it up against your leg or something to block medium? Some people just like the gadget factor of the LF2 and for them the LOD will seem a bit boring. To each their own...............

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
L0D will over discharge pretty easily with no voltage cutoff. It'll draw too much current from the battery and overdischarge it... pretty much the worst two things to do to a li-ion. I don't like the idea of L0D+10440.

Last edited:

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
ordered the q4 lod and a few 10440's and a charger last night. 43 bucks for light shipped new, charger and 4 cells 20 bucks or so shipped.

I also ordered the raw al, w/ tritriums, and I may find that I am not comfortable carring around a 130 dollar keychain light. we'll see.

I love the wee, but at 100 bucks, I can't justify 20 lumens, or even 50. I'm wanting 80-100 lumens for more than 20 minutes. I am constantly doing repair in my business in the dark or poorly lit areas. I like an hour runtime. also, I'd say the wee is more of a 1/3 aaa - a 10180 ( 18mm long) cell verses a 10440 ( 44mm ) .

for non aa size in the 20 lumen area, I am interested in that 4 nichia led keychain proton with the rechargable battery with charger built in. probably around 20-30 lumens, floody long run time and cheap at 30 bucks.

when I break down and get electrolumens multi-4 p7 mag ( either 3 di lithium ion or 6d nimh, hoping for the thread quoted 300 buck price) I will do a photo of the mag and the wee. I really can't see myself having a flashlight any larger or smaller.

Latest posts