Why do you buy more than one of the same light?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am admitted flashaholic. My wife can't imagine why I need more than one flashlight. She has no idea that my problem is even worse than it is. I have bought more than one of the same flashlight. I have 2 Novatacs p120 in different colors. I have 2 - P2D Rebell 100's in black. I have 2 - NDI's. I have 2 -E01's in Black. I have been lurking around this forum for only a few months and see I am not the only one buying more than one of the same model light. In fact, I have noticed a few people buying 3 or 4 of the same light. In my case, I have bought the extra lights as "backups". I love each of these lights so much, and it would be difficult for me to be without one should one get broken or lost. And believe, me I have lost lights. (There has got to be a big pit somewhere with all of my lost lights, but that's an entirely different subject - Where do all the lost lights go?)

DM51

Flashaholic
I have noticed a few people buying 3 or 4 of the same light.
Sometimes more than 4...

A2cigars-2.jpg

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I think if a light works for you and you have need of it, then why have 2 different types.

For example, I have 3 Fenix L1T V2's because it is a light that I like and it suits my needs. One is permanantly in my work bag, one is EDC and one is a backup.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if a light works for you and you have need of it, then why have 2 different types.

For example, I have 3 Fenix L1T V2's because it is a light that I like and it suits my needs. One is permanantly in my work bag, one is EDC and one is a backup.

Ok, I am not expecting this to be a rational discussion. We who buy more than one light are very sick! :crazy: When it comes to flashlight decisions, I am not rational, either. But if you have a light as EDC, why do you need another of the same light in your work bag, when you have a third as a backup?

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Ok, I am not expecting this to be a rational discussion. We who buy more than one light are very sick! :crazy: When it comes to flashlight decisions, I am not rational, either. But if you have a light as EDC, why do you need another of the same light in your work bag, when you have a third as a backup?

Lets just say I like to be prepared. I've been stung once before whilst working in the dark with only one light and it failed.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Because once you find something that is "perfect" for your intended use there is a strange irresistible force that compels you to buy another.... and another. It just makes sense to have multiples of an item that is excellent.
And when you get into the realm of electronics you can justify the extras as spares that you need :tinfoil:

1M1

Newly Enlightened
I often buy more than one of things I like since life has taught me that what is available today probably will not ever again be available in a few months (and then usually at higher prices).

Marduke

Flashaholic
Think of the extra light in your bag as a spare cell carrier.

.....which also happens to be an excellent illumination device in a pinch.....

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I don't see the point of having more than one of something, unless I use that type of light a lot. For example, I have 3 G2's because I find them useful for using around the house and tossing in the cars...so they're scattered. My other lights are more unique so I only have one of each.

Except my M6's, of course. I just like collection M6's and each of them is a little bit different.

m6_trio2.jpg

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As this thread is progressing, another question occurred to me. (Therapy is good) As kids were we all afraid of the dark? Have we not outgrown that fear? Why do we carry backups for backups? It makes no sense espcecially when we carry these lights during broad daylight? You talk to the average guy on the street. Almost nobody carries a single flashlight, let alone 3, and certainly not 3 of the same light. So what, if we are in the dark for a few minutes if there is light outage? Won't the lights eventually come on? Aren't most public places equipped with emergency battery lights anyway. Are we so well prepared for every other emergency in life as the emergency of darkness (Is that really an emergency, anyway)? Do we carry 3 Swiss Army knives just in case a tool breaks, or we loose it? I don't expect to get sensible answers from my fellow flashaholics. On the other hand my wife, would be most appreciatative.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except my M6's, of course. I just like collection M6's and each of them is a little bit different.

For my sanity's sake you really need to keep that photo away :poke:

:nana:

But it does bring up something else. I have duplicates of lights I use a lot, just to be prepared, and (lots of) duplicates of the lights I collect without much of a view to using them (SureFire 6Ps).

Regards,
Tempest

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As this thread is progressing, another question occurred to me. (Therapy is good) As kids were we all afraid of the dark? Have we not outgrown that fear? Why do we carry backups for backups? It makes no sense espcecially when we carry these lights during broad daylight? You talk to the average guy on the street. Almost nobody carries a single flashlight, let alone 3, and certainly not 3 of the same light. So what, if we are in the dark for a few minutes if there is light outage? Won't the lights eventually come on? Aren't most public places equipped with emergency battery lights anyway. Are we so well prepared for every other emergency in life as the emergency of darkness (Is that really an emergency, anyway)? Do we carry 3 Swiss Army knives just in case a tool breaks, or we loose it? I don't expect to get sensible answers from my fellow flashaholics. On the other hand my wife, would be most appreciatative.

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
I have back-ups for all my lights that I use on duty. I usually carry a M@G 2 AW"C" ROP on my belt and an exact twin for a spare in my riot bag. Also in the bag is a M@G 3AW"C" 1185. All 3 of these lights have the same resistance fixed mag switch assembly and a Modamag tailswitch. On the front of my belt I carry an old 6P with a bug-out Q5 drop with (2) additional old 6Ps in the bag, both have malkoff drop-ins. Also in the bag are spare CR123s and lamps for all my lights. Can never have too much back-up.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
To me, I think the word comforting comes to mind. I find it comforting to have several of the same light that I really use or depend on. This would even include emergency lights that would rarely see use. I guess the word prepared would also be included in my case.

This would explain multiple HDS/EDC's, A2's, Novatacs and several e-series Surefire lego combinations thereof, just to name a few. I can easily justify this in my own mind... In reality, I don't know..............and don't really care. :twothumbs

Best Regards:
Bob

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason why I would buy more than one of the same flashlight is because I love it a lot and plan on using it for a long time ... and I have this fear that it will be discontinued in the future.