How to remove board from pill?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I'm having a problem removing the board from the pill of my Romisen RC-N3.

I desoldered the wires but I damaged the threads of the pill while trying to remove it with a screwdriver, the board was stuck down hard and stayed put.:(

Since I badly damaged the pills threads I would probably need to buy an entire new light I assume? :ohgeez: If anyone knows where to get a replacement pill let me know.

How difficult is it to remove the board from the pill and how can it be done? I want to replace the P4 with this Q5 as it also has a 16mm base. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11022

Thanks.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly don't see the funny side of this Jarl...

...Hehehe. Thanks for the link!

Bigsy

Enlightened
I just desoldered as much as I could then stuck an hex key through the led wire hole and pushed it out....But.. I didn't care if I damaged the driver (I was upgrading that as well) as it was I didn't damage it but you take your chances using this method.

EDIT: Oh hang on you mean remove led, thats easy, just get some needle nose pliers, put it in led holes and twist...off she pops, nice and easy!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Oh hang on you mean remove led, thats easy, just get some needle nose pliers, put it in led holes and twist...off she pops, nice and easy!

Thanks Bigsy just the LED and board but even that with the needle nose pliers is tough, I tried...

Apparently it is more difficult to remove from the RC-N3 than many lights. The pill threads are still damaged so I have to sort that out too somehow. :shrug:

It's in the freezer now hopefully the cold will make things easier to dismantle.

Thanks.

Bigsy

Enlightened
Odd, I found my N3 no more difficult than my G2 or F4. It took a bit of force but nothing major.

Make sure your getting enough leverage with the pliers, maybe put a long screwdriver between the handles. And also screw the pill in the light or put it in a small strap wrench to get a good grip.

I've never found cold works that well, heat has always worked better for me, if your still struggling pop the pill in a plastic bag and boil it for 30 40 seconds, i'll be shocked if it dosn;t come off after that.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again Bigsy I appreciate the replies. I'll give the heat a go now.

Cheers!