U.S. Made Nitecore Defender Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
So I was looking to purchase a Defender Infinity. Now, knowing that TAD Gear is the distributer in the U.S., I ventured over to their website. What I found was a bit surprising; bellow the product description TAD Gear states that their new batch of lights is of higher quality than the ones made in Asia. The exact quote is:

"This new delivery of lights as of 23APR08 were produced for the US market and are of a higher caliber than Asia market models. Also this delivery features a new head unit and improved threads. For optimal performance we recommend using appropriate silicone based lube on the threads between the head and body to properly maintain your new light."

(Accessed on 5/5/2008 at 1400 EDT)

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/flashlights main/defender_infinity.htm

Brownstone

Enlightened
I don't read that to mean they are "Made in USA". I read that to mean they were "Made for USA", supposedly to a higher standard.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Well, the thing is, I don't recall Edgetac ever mentioning a special production run for the U.S. market. So, my question is:

Is TAD Gear being truthful?

Can anyone confirm that in fact there IS a difference between the U.S. version and the Asia version? Or is that just a marketing ploy?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are other threads on this subject. But to put it simply, TAD GEAR does have a special production run, identifiable by slightly misaligned imprinting on the body of the light, and by serial numbers containing the letters "US" within it. Beyond that, some people report the threads appear different ("square"). Nobody has complained about these "square" threads so apparently that is an improvement, since there were than a few complaints about the smoothness of the ones being shipped from directly from asia. Nobody has noted any differences in the head unit on the TAD units, other than the threads, so what is improved in the head unit beyond the threads needs to be explained. I am expecting a TAD NDI tomorrow. I will compare my HKEquipment second run NDI to the TAD NDI, and report any differences I find.

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried contacting TAD Gear about this. Sounds like a good place to start. I'm sure they could answer your question.

DM51

Flashaholic
Brownstone has given a link above to an existing thread, so I'll close this one and the discussion can continue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.