GPA Question

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I am in a wee spot of trouble. I am already on "Progress Probation" at my college because 50% of my grades consist of W (withdrawl), NC (no credit) or I (incomplete). Mine are mostly W's, btw. I talked to my counselor and she said she can dismiss my progress probation- I can take a breather.

There's a catch.

My GPA as it stands is 2.38. I am about to take an F for a class I took last semester (3.00 units), and I'm getting a good feeling I'll get an F in my current class as well (4.00 units). If my GPA dips below 2.00, then I'll be on "Academic Probation". IOW I'll be in double jeopardy- I have "Progress Probation" and "Academic Probation", which means I'll get kicked out of college (I believe).

Can anybody help me figure out my GPA?

Thanks,

Dudemar

nisshin

Enlightened
Assuming that 4.00 is the perfect GPA,

Step 1. 4 x (sum of the units of classes you received an "A")
Step 2. 3 x (sum of the units of classes you received a "B")
Step 3. 2 x (sum of the units of classes you received a "C")
Step 4. 1 x (sum of the units of classes you received a "D")
Step 5. 0 x (sum of the units of classes you received an "F") (= 0)

Add up steps 1 to 5, then divide by the sum total of the units in steps 1 to 5.

If I'm not mistaken, W/Withdrawals, NC/No credits, and I/Incompletes do *not* figure into the GPA calculation, only the "A," "B," "C," "D," and "F" grades.

Good luck with your studies!

MicroE

Enlightened
In order for us to figure out your exact GPA you would have to post all of your grades and the number of credits that each was worth.
Don't waste your time.
Go to the Dean and fall to your knees and plead for mercy and another chance in the Summer or Fall semester.

swampgator

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, W/Withdrawals, NC/No credits, and I/Incompletes do *not* figure into the GPA calculation, only the "A," "B," "C," "D," and "F" grades.

However, most instutions have a rule that if not completed within a semester the "I" becomes an "F".

I doubt you'd be suspended for a semester if you're on probationi. If you were I would think they would call it academic suspension.

I think I was on academic probabtion for a semester, I don't remember, as I chose to volutarily disenroll for a few years. Work took priority. Four years later when I returned I went part time and took two classes. I got a "A" in both and the college never said another word to me.

I ended graduating with a 3.5 in my field of study with 2.75 overall GPA.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dudemar, unless there is some underlying problem, it sounds like you're really not committed to school, so figuring out your GPA may be the least of your concerns.

Take the counselor up on the advice take a breather/break. Go out and work for awhile...it may give you a better appreciation of learning, not "just" getting the grades and the degree.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Dudemar, unless there is some underlying problem, it sounds like you're really not committed to school, so figuring out your GPA may be the least of your concerns.

Take the counselor up on the advice take a breather/break. Go out and work for awhile...it may give you a better appreciation of learning, not "just" getting the grades and the degree.

As a former university instructor, I have to completely agree with this statement.

From what I have observed, if you can't make the grade in your courses, it's a pretty clear indicator that you are either not in the right field, or have a bit of growing to do in order to appreciate that college isn't like high school. You're there to learn a skill which you choose, not just making the grade to get to the end.

On a side note, your GPA should be clearly calculated on your advising transcript, usually available online.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Taking a semester or two off might not be the worst thing. Either your courses are too difficult, or you're not interested in them, or perhaps you're just burned out. I took a year off after my junior year. It wasn't because I was doing poorly. In fact, my GPA was 3.37. Rather, I was just sick of school and academia. I was completely burned out from the workload necessary to get decent grades. I needed to get away for a while. The year off I mostly did things around the house, built my electronics workshop, did a lot of introspection. When I came back to school things seemed so much easier and clearer. Of course, there's always the off chance if you take time off you'll never go back, but that probably just means you weren't college material to start with.

It's a pity that trade schools are frowned upon. Lots of people who go to college plainly don't belong there. They have zero interest in learning, and just see the degree as a way to get higher pay, to postpone working for four more years, or even worse as a four year party at their parents' expense. Either way, trade school makes more sense for such people. I love learning but I really didn't like college, as paradoxical as it sounds. There was too much regimentation to the point that learning wasn't enjoyable. I've probably learned ten times as much from the Internet as I did in college. Still, I had little doubt I belonged in college simply because it was the best available alternative, and I applied myself while I was there. I just wish I had the money and frame of mind to have gotten my masters and PhD. I've little doubt that would have opened some doors which remained shut.

Anyway, if you decide to take time off and find you still have no interest in school when your leave of absence is up, then consider either a trade school or the armed forces. Either will probably appeal more to a non-academic person than college, and quite honestly based on your post this is what it sounds like you are. The majority of people don't belong in college. So many people going to college who shouldn't have has greatly diluted the value of a college degree.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
If it's a good university the assistant dean will have you come in, make a plan on how you are going to improve your grades and in what time frame. You then have to keep to the plan in order to be taken off of academic probation. You'll probably have to sign some papers that have the plan and the fact that the talk took place. You may have a few follow-up talks.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I appreciate the GPA advice, I think there's WAY too many assumptions being made about me; solely based on the information given in my first post. I just asked how I can figure out my GPA, nothing else.

The reason why I'm asking you guys is because my department of counseling is like walking into a Subway restaurant. You walk in and ask for an appointment, they'll look at you like you're an alien from Tatooine. Yes, it's your job, now get me an appointment, you @**h0L3. My last 3 appointments were canceled by the department, in a timespan of several months.:party: Now you know why I'm not going back.:poke:

flashfan and Marduke:

The issues underlying my problems are very personal, of which I will not get into. I am not some chump who just graduated HS.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
On a side note, your GPA should be clearly calculated on your advising transcript, usually available online.

At my university, this is also the case. Through their website I can request a transcript and its emailed to me in PDF format for my personal use. GPA etc is all on there, and I can do it w/o having to talk to anybody. I would have to believe your U. does something similar. It would save you the hassle of dealing with an uncooperative advising dept. Best wishes.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks nbp,

Figured it out- problem solved. Turns out I'll be ok, thanks for the help guys.:)

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a quick answer (and I realize you said its solved now) all you need to do to figure your GPA is multiply your current GPA by the number of completed hours you have (2.38 X number of hours) then add the points for your current grades, and finally divide by the new total number of hours.