Help replacing LED on Task Force 2C CREE?

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'm going to need to mod the Task Force 2C CREE I got from Lowe's.

Last night, while trying to carefully replace the small o-ring around the LED emitter on my Lowe's Task Force 2C CREE flashlight with a GITD o-ring, I must have pushed too hard on the dome lens because it slipped right off. It seems like it was barely stuck on there with some gel type material. At first I was a bit bummed out, but then I realized that this is an opportunity to have some fun modding one of my lights and also practice my soldering skills.

[FONT=&quot]Which emitter/star should I replace it with and where can I find some directions/tips on how to do it? [/FONT]

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Cree XR-E. You can get a replacement from a number of places. You can get a brighter one, or you can get one with a tint that looks incandescent.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd recommend upgrading to the Cree XR-E Q5. Many different sources with many different prices and shipping times. This one is the cheapest but shipping is 2+ weeks.

It shouldn't be to hard.

Desolder and remove the old LED, clean the heatsink, apply some heatsinking compound, place the new LED on, solder back on, reassemble, and you are done.

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
I have upgraded my Advance Auto Parts light so I know what your in for.

It is not necessarily a Cree. If you bought the newest version, with the packaging that said something like "60X brighter" than it uses a Cree, but if you have the older version that said something like "20X brighter" than it was a SSC.

If you mix those up and buy the wrong one, then your beam will be horrible. If your lucky, you can just look at the emitter you have and it will be labeled.

As far as ordering, Sandwich Shoppe shipps very fast, but you pay a little more. If you do go Cree, the Q5 is your best bet. If SSC, then you need to use a P4.

Make sure you order the emitter mounted on the star board. All you have to do is pry the current one off the flashlight, then scrape off the glue and glue down the new one and solder on your wires. No worries about shorts or anything.

One big tip I can give is to make sure the emitter is centered. The way I did it, and it seemed to work well, was to not solder on the wires yet, and put down the glue for the new emitter, then put down the star board with emitter and push it down real well, and you'll notice that it will have the ability to slide around a little. That is what you want. Now get it as centered as you can just eyeing it. Then screw the head and reflector back on. The emitter seats in the reflector and as you tighten the reflector down it will slide the emitter around until it is right in the center. Let it dry that way and it will be right where you want it.

That should get it done. And DON'T put any lithium-ions in that light....the emitter will get an angry blue......