P60 flood

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to find the best flood, least pronounced hot spot, p60 module I can find.

Is there a p60 module shoot-out somewhere?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Stay away from the DX6090 & 11836... they offer serviceable flood, but they're both more on the throwey side of the spectrum. The dark halo around the hot spot tends to accentuate this too.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any dropin with a diffuser in front of it or with a cone of white paper over the reflector will work.

kavvika

Enlightened
The SF P60L is somewhat floodier, as is the DX #4068. There are no P60 LED modules that are really geared for flood, but those are your two best choices.

USM0083

Enlightened
Get a FM34 beam diffuser.

Day: 25 yards to the garage.
Day.jpg

Night:
Night.jpg

6PL:
P60L.jpg

6PL with FM34:
P60LFM34.jpg

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
Go for a Seoul drop-in. Those will have the smoothest transition from hotspot to spill.

You could also just defocus the drop-in by unscrewing the pill slightly from the reflector.

G

roymail

Enlightened
I'd like to find the best flood, least pronounced hot spot, p60 module I can find.

Other than a diffuser, the most "floody" P60 seems to be the Malkoff M60.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
beg pardon?

The M60 may have the most flood, but it's certainly no floodlight - that's because it just has a buttload of light. Though, at mid-long range, the hotspot is perfectly even and would therefore seem pretty floody. At close range, it definitely feels like a thrower.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually i agree with roy, the M60 is actually pretty floody. Granted that its got insane throw, and its flood is not that bright, but you can light up essnetially a whole side of a room with usable flood because the flood is so wide. The Beam of the M60 is bassically hot spot to flood, no discernable transition, very very smooth.

edit: on second reading, thats exactly what Chronius is saying. so yep.

Further thought:

i dont think its possible to make a flood drop in for the P60 without drastically altering the P60 itself. You would have to make it so that the LED was all the way at the front, just under the lens so that the head doesnt cut anything off. Its not impossible to make such a drop in, but it WOULD require you to machine stuff on your own. anyone got a lathe handy?

Crenshaw

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
I think the P7 Dropin from Dereelight has the greatest amount of flood

HINT HINT

everyone go to passaround forum

HINT HINT

alan said the P7 w/ an OP reflector is almost 100% flood and no throw

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stuck a piece of scotch tape (the satiny kind) over my G2 fitted with an M60. I REALLY liked it, still alot of output and perfect floodlight except the beam was a little oblong if you whitewalled it due to the tape not diffiusing evenly. I would imagine the FM34 + m60 would be an ideal combo with even better output than the tape, and I would get one if not for the fact that I plan on edcing this light and I would prefer the beamshaper to be a lower profile.