Seeking Insights on Gerber Omnivore

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
Gerber Omnivore is marked down at REI, and I've had my eye on this light for a while. FYI the light takes CR123, AA, and AAA (whatever you have around basically), which is one reason I've been considering it as an EDC or emergency bug-out SHTF flashlight. It's a bit smaller than my Leatherman Monarch 500, but not a keychain light by my standards. Its got a .7-watt LED (luxeon?), but considering it's multiple power options, my main inquiry is whether or not it is engineered well. A google search of "gerber omnivore" only turns up 5,000 hits, so I am posting seeking comments. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a light using three different battery types with no extra body tubes. That is pretty unique for l.e.d. lights. However, I'd pick something with a better emitter. 0.7 watt l.e.d.s are usually outdated Nichia Rigel l.e.d.s. (same as in the Gerber Firecracker).

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of these and I like it. It is unusual and to me that is the appeal. I was just in REI this weekend though and I did not see a sale tag on it .:thinking: I like the idea of it using multiple battery types and the inside of the light is very odd. There is a separate compartment for each battery type...no plastic holders to lose or anything like that. Like all Gerbers that I own, it is very well made. The beam does not have much spill but is not one of those "moon beam" lights. It is bright enough for everyday use around the house. I am seeing how long it will run on a AA lithium.

Mike

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy 2 firecrackers at that price, and they are smaller and perform better with one AA battery. I'm pretty sure it's the same optic in both lights.

The firecracker isn't the brightest light around, but it does project a nice tight beam, if that's what you are looking for.

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm waiting to get one once I get priorities straight (need a EDC keychain light first).