First AA EDC

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to purchase my first real flashlight (it's about time that my 4 D-cell Maglite retires). I want to start with an AA light since AA's are readily available and affordable, although I will consider a CR123. I'd like a light that is pocketable and reasonably bright while maintaining good run times. My budget is roughly $50-$60, although I would appreciate more affordable recommendations! Right now I'm strongly considering the Fenix L1D Q5, but I'm not sure whether to get a smooth or textured reflector. I've also been considering the P1D CE black textured. Any recommendations or simply advice for a novice light collector?

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
well if you want to use aa's go for the fenix l1d or l2d not the p series, although I'm sure they are great too. I have been looking into buying a new aa light and my budget is pretty low so I'm thinking about getting this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9070
It got very good reviews on this site. It's not as good as a fenix, but its nice and cheap.

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Tempting price. That might actually fit the bill nicely. However, since I only plan on getting a single light, I don't mind spending more if the price is justified.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
I like my romisen rc-g2 for $11 and if you need more light (its pretty decent stock) someone here makes a Q5 conversion for $20

Yapo

Enlightened
Textured is the way to go for small cree lights as it smoothens out the dark ring seen with cree leds. Both the L1D CE Q5 and P1D CE Q5 are great lights. Although the P1D is brighter and smaller so it should be easier to pocket but CR123's cost more.

I went for the P1D CE option when it first came out as i found the output from single AA lights wasnt enough for me.

Last edited:

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Is there anywhere I can get a textured P1D Q5 Black by any chance? I've checked the Fenix store and they seem to have only the Olive color. Thanks for the comments by the way.

Yapo

Enlightened
Is there anywhere I can get a textured P1D Q5 Black by any chance? I've checked the Fenix store and they seem to have only the Olive color. Thanks for the comments by the way.

Fenix-store has it in black as well...try reading the labels and not looking at the pics!:thumbsup:

EDIT oh wait just checked its out of stock sorry!

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
I say go for the fenix l2d-ce, if you're willing to spend the money, all fenix lights are great. I think I just want you to buy one because I wish I could have one too :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
get this

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=354

its the latest version of the P1D-CE (Q5) read the welcome mat to understand what Q5 means..:)

oh, see its out of stock, its worth while waiting for it..:) or get the olive, fenix olive colours have been nice so far.

you can also get black from
www.lighthound.com

as for an AA light, i suggest https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_50&products_id=334

the user interface is simpler then the L1D or L2D, however if you want more modes, then get the L1D..

Crenshaw

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help! Right now I'm really leaning towards the L1D, although the Romisen looks really nice as well for the price.

Yapo

Enlightened
It just depends on what runtime,output,size you want...since all are about the same price...and using "CPF8" will lower them all to < $60

max output: P1D = L2D > L1D
runtime: L2D > L1D > P1D
size: P1D < L1D < L2D

but also the runtimes and outputs may vary depending on what batteries you use.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for an AAA light, you could probably get a LF2X, its had really good reviews so far, but its a bit more advanced in terms of UI, but if you can get your head around it, i think it should be a great light..:) mine should be arriving any day now..

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=175263

on the other hand, i very highly reccomend the P1D-CE Q5....:D VERY, highly reccomend...

Crenshaw

Yapo

Enlightened
Likewise for the P1D CE Q5, crenshaw, I've got the orginal P4 bin one and it feels really nice and solid...I dont have a L1D CE Q5 but it should be good none the less as it uses the same head as the P2D and L2D so you can just buy the body later on if you want longer runtime with 2 AA or want to use cr123!

Buffalohump

Enlightened
I would get the L1D and you can always get a L2D body for it later for greater runtimes.

Plus you can run it on rechargeables. (Not sure about the P1D as far as that goes.)

I finally got a recharging kit yesterday - and I really don't know why I waited this long. Its very cool knowing you have hundreds of 'free' lumens at your disposal. :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
and of course there is always the Leef body for the P1D if you want to go foward clicky with it...:eek:

Crenshaw

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the L1D and you can always get a L2D body for it later for greater runtimes.

Plus you can run it on rechargeables. (Not sure about the P1D as far as that goes.)

I finally got a recharging kit yesterday - and I really don't know why I waited this long. Its very cool knowing you have hundreds of 'free' lumens at your disposal. :thumbsup:

I agree that the L1D is the way to go, given your budget limitations and wanting the light to run on AA batteries. It is small enough to be an EDC, and once you get bit by the flashlight bug, you can buy a P1D body that will let you use CR123 cells, and still have a nice size EDC light. For those camping trips where you don't mind carrying a larger light, you can get the longer L2D body that would give you longer running times with 2 -AA cells.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L1D-CE Q5 will be a great start. It is compatible with the P2D and L2D body for different battery options. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"

The Nitecore, Jetbeam, and Zebralight(pure flood though) are also lights that you might want to look at.

:welcome: