ostar reflector/optic

beetleguise

Enlightened
I bought an optic from cutter with a 6 degree beam, but it barely brings it in tighter than the wide fraen reflector. Has anyone found a reflector or optic that projects a tight beam? I like the flood, but it is a bit much!

beetleguise

Enlightened
Everytime I post about an Ostar I get total silence. I guess I am pretty alone in the Ostar modding. I am so lonely.:( I will post pics soon, when I am satisfied it is as cool as I can make a single led!

mash.m

Enlightened
i also use an ostar for my cuttet 1d size mag, but i used it with the kaidomain aspheric lens. this lens have a very short back focal lengh. you can focus it from the six die spot to a very wide beam. all reflecors that i tried have a very wide beam and much side spill.
do you want to see some pictures?

markus

rolltide

Newly Enlightened
Yes Markus, I would love to see some beamshots of your Ostar aspheric.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the 6-die with an McR-XR 27 mm in an "on-the-fly" setup.
The 27 perfectly fits onto the Ostar
Beam diameter with that reflector is about 1.5 times more than a cree in an Mcr-Xr 19 mm.

.. and the 1st reason noone uses it, might be price and that one cant get a certain bin, even for this expensive led (I got the 2nd brightest one)

2nd reason (but thats a guess): sure it is bright - for a "single" led, but given it needs 6 times the power of s Cree: its not worth that!

PS: so its the same as the P7,
You might have already read my opinions on it - but seems I am almost alone with them
There are only TWO reasons for a multidie:
1: less host space needed than with multiled-lights
2: less cost (only one expensive reflector)

I am perfectly sure a multiemitter with one led less than the multidie has dies, wins output without problems, while needing less power.

beetleguise

Enlightened
Amps are the same as the cree, only it requires a much higher input voltage. The diode is amazingly efficient!

steve6690

Enlightened
price is not an issue either. It's about the same cost as 6 cree's in the UK, and you can select the bin you want from RS Components. As soon as I can find a 50mm reflector that provides a really narrow beam I'm building a light with this setup.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amps are the same as the cree, only it requires a much higher input voltage. The diode is amazingly efficient!

Wattage is voltage*current, so if the Ostar has 4 dies, draws the same current, and has a total Vf 4 times that of a Cree, then it has the same efficiency.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is not, it is plain bad
(but seems, there are ppl that believe in multidies and other who do not. I do not (at least not when I dont get the good ones))

I am, once again :rolleyes:, not able to find the link to the lastest datasheet but I have the data:
the 4-die with secondary optics: "LE W E2B MXPX-6K8L" --> thats what one can oder from RS Components, or wherever.
this means NO CHOICE AT ALL.
€ 60,-- for "yes we have a car, come tomorrow and get it. No model choice, no engine power choice, no color choice, no interior choice, just a car - but for quite more than usual". I hate that.

to the data: given one gets the BEST bin (thats the "PX") --> 450-520 lumen.
Wow, great. Double the output of a good single emitter but running on four times the power.
What a joke (especially as noone gets the "PX". One is lucky not the get an "MX" or, even worse, the half-as-bright earlier models that are still around at the shops and sold for the same price (they are OSTARS as well, arent they?) :rolleyes:
... still: no tint choice: its "6K-8L", whatever one gets

now, again, to the price:
the comparable number of Crees/Seouls (to the number of die on the Ostar) should be less expensive,
but that was not my point (and I did type that, in every thread).
When You have Your led, THEN You need focusing devices.
Just one for the multidie, but the whole number for the multiemitters.
Here is, where the multidie gets way cheaper (when one uses "better" reflectors from the Sandwich Shoppe)
Still the multiemitter will outperform the multidie. Alone that one can direct every beam in a direction one wants ...

Pls correct me when anything is wrong,
imho: one should make his homework be4 typing "xxx is the best and better than yyy, ...", expecially if this p.o.v. might be questionable

PS: noticed I did not type anything concerning heat management efforts ;)

Last edited:

beetleguise

Enlightened
Wow. I am running one 6 die ostar, drawing 1.2 amps, and getting massive amounts of light using 4 little 14500's. Works good for me. I have a five cree Q5 that is brighter, but it gets really hot. The ostar doesn't get as hot. For one emitter, the ostar is pretty amazing. My 5 cree cost about twice as much to build as the ostar, with comparable output.:eek: I like it.