is this a good bikeUPDATE !!!!

ktronik

Enlightened
Re: is this a good bike

IMHO no, it is a cheap bike & not worth the money they are asking... It has brakes that don't work very well & cheap forks that will not last for off-road use.

Looks like another heavy 'tank'... if thats your budget, best to buy a good hardtail with a better fork, brakes & parts... this would last longer, ride faster, with less adjustment needed over time...

Hope this helps

Ktronik

PS: I have been working in bike shops & working with national racing teams, as a mechanic for 20 years +...

Stromberg

Enlightened

I agree with ktronik. I'm not bike expert but it seems that all of the parts in that bike are entry level class. I recommend buying bike with better frame(hardtail works better in that price range) and better parts overall. For example Trek 6000 Disc: http://catalog.northcentralcyclery.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=529
Same price range, much better parts and I could bet that it has better frame.

If you really want to buy full suspension mb you could put easily twice that money and still not get very rugged bike.

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened

I own a road bike from Dawes *also part of the Ebay bikes* and I think for the price it's good. But on a full suspension mtn bike I'm not sure it's a good idea.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast

cool thanks, although i saw the moto on ebay for a bit over $400 shipped.

As far as the use is concerned, whatever i get it will be mostly used on the asphalt for the 2 1/2 mile trip to work, so the first thing to be done would to put road tires on it. then perhaps some 12 spoke spinergys on it. i just like the way 12 spokers look. I am just trying to imagine what the ride would be like without the rear shock. MY friend has a harow he got for dealer cost $1400 about 8 years ago, if i showed him $800 he might bite,. From what i understand TREK "S" are very good bikes, i mean its no $8k 14 pound road bike, but i do like the trek that was posted.

Thanks

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast

how much does that trek weigh

chaoss

Enlightened

I will agree with 270, shop around locally and try to support your LBS (local bike store).
One thing that i will add is to spend as much $$ as you possibly can now because there is nothing worse than buying a cheap bike only to have to upgrade parts/components later.

iced_theater

Enlightened

I should of bought either a hybrid or mtn bike instead of my current road bike. While I mostly ride on the street and such, any sort of road irregularity or damage is somewhat painful. *Should of been expected with 23mm, high pressure tires and no suspension.*

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

Bikes seem to have grown popular lately and I myself have just entered the sport of riding. Like yourself I went through much thought before buying and in the end I was very happy I went to a good pro shop.

I learned there is much more to todays bikes and regular service is needed to fully enjoy your bike. My shop has really made the sport very enjoyable and even cost effective. Yes I spent much money however bought with confidence and support for years of trouble free riding. Look ay every shop and ask questions about service after the sale as well as fit and replacement parts. Good luck and enjoy your new bike.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want to use it for anything other than downhill racing, don't get a bike with a rear shock. If you set them softer, it compreses and saps some of the power out of your legs as you ride and if you set it harder, it doesn't provide a smooth ride. Rear shocks can be a gimmick to sell bikes but if you are not a downhill racer, they aren't up to much.
Go for a bike with front shocks and a suspension seat post ( a shock directly under the saddle ). They give you a nice ride, you can set them as hard or soft as you like and they won't sap your energy.
I do about 500 miles a year on a bike on the road and paths. I tried a few rear shock bikes and never liked them much.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have had a Trek FX7.5 since last autumn. It works well for me for my commute to work (~9.5miles). It usually takes me about 27-30minutes depending on the wind and traffic lights. It's a nice quick commuter bike. The carbon fibre fork takes a little harshness off the ride.

For asphalt, you really don't need any suspension.

If you're mainly cruising to work, a hybrid might fit you well. I'm not sure how good this one is, but I'm mainly pointing out the style: http://catalog.northcentralcyclery.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=434

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

It really depends what you want to do with your bike.

Years ago I wouldn't consider from buying a bike from a place like REI, but this is alot of bike for $699.

Yes I prefer hardtails.

http://www.rei.com/product/760853

~ Remember, you can always put slicks on a mtn. bike...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 for REI. I've found most REI bike personnel to be friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Further, if you're a member, you'll receive an end of year rebate on the purchase of many of their bicycles.
Good solid bikes if you want to ride and enjoy.
:thumbsup:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast

To those who have had people ask about the cost of thier bike, how it is justified spending what you spent, put aside the carbon fork, the disk brakes and such, build quality, reputation and parts support.

ktronik

Enlightened

If you want to use it for anything other than downhill racing, don't get a bike with a rear shock. If you set them softer, it compreses and saps some of the power out of your legs as you ride and if you set it harder, it doesn't provide a smooth ride. Rear shocks can be a gimmick to sell bikes but if you are not a downhill racer, they aren't up to much.
Go for a bike with front shocks and a suspension seat post ( a shock directly under the saddle ). They give you a nice ride, you can set them as hard or soft as you like and they won't sap your energy.
I do about 500 miles a year on a bike on the road and paths. I tried a few rear shock bikes and never liked them much.

Well, just for the record....

you are right when talking about cheap FS bikes...but just so you don't get flamed by other FS bike users... let me set you straight... :whistle:

The 'bob' of a FS bike has more to do with poor pedaling style & poor pivot placement, than the fact that it has a rear shock...

Most nice FS bikes built these days, have NO bob due to pivot placement & in fact are even made to eliminate rider induced 'bob'. Say you took a Santa Cruz Blur, out for a ride, & sprinted your guts out, out of the saddle... it would not 'bob' up & down, infact the more you tired to get it to bob, the more it would lock out the bob...if you are willing to spend some good money... 'bob' is, a thing of the past...

@ the end of the day, its not so much what you ride, but IF you ride... :twothumbs

BTW, I only ride 700c wheeled bikes now... on & off road... a 29er... which is different than a fat hybrid...

keep riding

Ktronik

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, I'd agree with you that they are better but I wouldn't agree totally. Each time you push the pedals down it accelerates the bike. If the bike accelerates the centre of gravity moves back. If the bike is heavier at the back, the spring compresses and, as the compression and rebound is dampened, you don't get that energy back. I'd concede that a smoother riding style would help but, for example, it's hard to ride smooth uphill or on a track. Any time you have a hinge and spring between the rear axle and pedal axle you are going to lose out unless the power delivery is 100% smooth. Put a bouncy seat post in and you have a solid connection between the two axles and therefore no loss of transmitted power.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've always prefer a hard tail for general riding, but I rented a full suspension bike in Big Bear (too the ski lift to the top) and found the rear suspension to be quite helpful while riding through the technical single track areas. I'm no pro, though. Perhaps, if I was a more powerful and *much* more experienced rider, I'd probably prefer a hard tail for the technical stuff, I don't know. What do the people that do that insane trials type riding use? (you know, riding on 4 inch rails and jumping 15 feet from rock to rock...the really crazy stuff.)

About the REI bikes...Who makes the Novara brand? Trek? I know they came out with a new Novara folder that is actually a rebranded Dahon Mu with lesser parts, so I'm thinking somebody else is making the other ones, too. (and a lesser price.....better paint job, though!)

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened

Hmmm, I'd agree with you that they are better but I wouldn't agree totally. Each time you push the pedals down it accelerates the bike. If the bike accelerates the centre of gravity moves back. If the bike is heavier at the back, the spring compresses and, as the compression and rebound is dampened, you don't get that energy back. I'd concede that a smoother riding style would help but, for example, it's hard to ride smooth uphill or on a track. Any time you have a hinge and spring between the rear axle and pedal axle you are going to lose out unless the power delivery is 100% smooth. Put a bouncy seat post in and you have a solid connection between the two axles and therefore no loss of transmitted power.

Yep, rebound & compression losses as well as losses to friction on the chain driven system...but in general, the less pedal induced bob, the less losses to rebound & compression. I ride a hardtail for racing & my wife has a spen seatpost on her hardtail...

But for XC racing over 4hrs, its all about fatigue reduction, in all but the fittest person, the person on the FS bike will win...irrespective of the losses involved, as they are less fatigued & would have fresher legs... I don't know how people can race full ridged bikes in 24hr races... its a real bone shaker...:sick2:

For the insane stuff, its always FS bikes...even for XC racing the trend is more & more for short travel Spen systems...just to take the edge of the bumps...

My DH bike has 8" of travel in the rear, but its a real 'tank' to pedal, I guess the sport of DH racing is more about bike handling skills than pedaling skills... its a 'hold on & make it to the bottom' type deal...

For most city type riding the hardtail is the go... & if you can go 700c/29" wheels it will be faster again...

K