Starting to HATE my 120P

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found the HDS or Novatac LED lights to be professional grade.

I have grown to love the 120 P for that low setting .

Sad to say what should be my favorite light is starting to make me miserable. I went to use it yesterday and I had to screw around with it just to get it to turn on. I felt like an idiot with this $130 light!!!!!!
Now it will not stay on high then it goes through these other setings like sos strobe and I can't control this thing.:( now I can't turn off the locator flash!!

I have LOVED my HDS and Novatac lights. the the 120P is the light I carry when I know I'll be needing a light!

I am sick of resetting the light just to activate it any suggestions???

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the light is malfunctioning vs. user error so I would definitely return it for refund or exchange. I haven't had any problems with mine so far. Hope you get it resolved soon. Good luck!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the light is malfunctioning vs. user error so I would definitely return it for refund or exchange. I haven't had any problems with mine so far. Hope you get it resolved soon. Good luck!
Thanks Oddjob

I really like the light I don't want to unfairly trash Novatac. I only want my light to work and not embarass me:duh2:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it wouldn't go into high. It could be a rundown battery or a contact problem.
If you haven't already, try a new(or recharged) battery. Make sure the spring in the battery tube is making contact with both the tailcap and LED module. Last but not least, try a factory reset.

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened
MAKE SURE IT'S TIGHT!!!! This cannot be stressed enough!!! Take it apart, clean eerything, lube the threads, make sure the spring is making contact, and put it together TIGHTLY!!
This light all but kicked my butt the first two days I owned it once I played with it a bit, and learned what makes it happy, I have had no problems since.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the helpful suggestions:thumbsup:

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
i had some issues (read ID-10-T user errors) with my 85p. what you ask? well, sometimes i would enter the menu because i clicked too fast or too slow for the light to figure out what i wanted it to do. then not realizing i was in the menu, misread the blinks and flashes as errors. in the attemt to get the response i wanted i often ended up toggling some of my prefs on or off. finally i just fixed my prefs and locked out the menu. my light has behaved flawlessly ever since. i realize this may not be your issue, but thought i would share in the event it might be of help.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do like everyone suggested and clean it up real good, screw it on TIGHT, and if it is still misbehaving, call Novatac customer service. They are great and will certainly take good care of you.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a 85P. And it would go haywire like you described when I tried to reprogram it when the battery was too low for the light to accept the new settings.

I sold mine because it was too easy to enter the programming mode by accident. I think NovaTac (HDS) should have retained the 10 clicks to enter programming mode. 3 and hold is just too close to the tertiary setting.

They are very robust lights with very useful output options but just not for me.

Good luck.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Hmmm... the joys of microprocessor controlled lights :ironic:
It's stories and experiences like this that keep me well away from such lights :(

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Before you send the light back, make sure the following is TIGHT:

1. Retaining ring in the tailcap (may back out when changing the battery).
2. Retaining ring over the light engine (may back out when the head is unscrewed from the body)

If any of these are loose, it may lead to bad electrical contact and weird light behavior.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the "three click and hold" does make it enter programming mode a little too easily.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
It sounds to me like it's a loose connection or something, rather than incorrect programming.

If you can't find anything wrong inside (everything is clean, etc), Id send an email to Jim at NovaTac.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold mine because it was too easy to enter the programming mode by accident.

There is an option in the menu that allows you to turn menu access off. I've never accidentally entered the menu myself, but it may be a good option for others.

Zenster

Enlightened
Myself and another person had some weird behaviour with ours that was permanently fixed by taking out the big spring and stretching it a little.
It's important that the big spring makes proper contact.

Technology requires some effort at understanding how it works in order for it to work well for you.
If you frustrate easily, then none of the programmable lights will leave you smiling.

My wife takes things a little further to where I try to keep anything that has more than one moving part away from her or she'll get herself in trouble. She doesn't like my 120P either.
Her favorite is the 6P; twist on/twist off. Pure joy to her. :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I had similar issues with my 120P at first, but found that following all the suggestions mentioned so far (stretching the spring a bit and cleaning both ends and all contact points, as well as checking the retaining rings in the head and tailcap for tightness and cleaning the threads) got me running with no problems since then..... and that was 9 months ago.

Personally, I think of the NovaTac like a fine sports car that needs a bit of understanding and attention to detail for peak performance..... and those willing to do that are rewarded with a super little pocket light.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technology requires some effort at understanding how it works in order for it to work well for you.
If you frustrate easily, then none of the programmable lights will leave you smiling.

I agree. That's one reason why I am ordering an ORB RAW AL CR2 light with a low low 5-7 lumen setting via a simple twist!:twothumbs

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I kept my HDS B42 XRGT. I was able to program it just the way I wanted it, 5/10/21/42 lumens with the switch lockout function enabled. It was a royal PITA to do this. So barring a real bad drug trip or epileptic seizure, I don't think it possible to accidentally click the switch 200 times to enter the programming mode. I know I can get a brighter light with much more runtime but it will be bundled with a bunch of features I will not likely use. My 42 suits my needs and the tint is as good as it gets IMHO.

Don't get me wrong I think NovaTac makes a real cool light its just not for me.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
tsask,

Did you ever get the problems sorted out on your 120P?

I ask because mine is recently behaving the same way.

Thanks

-Aaron