Sticky 120P clicky?

jonesy

Enlightened
About 3 months ago I picked up a Novatac 120P in black as my new EDC flashlight to replace my Fenix P2D Q5 (which my brother is borrowing now). I love the modes and ability to switch back and forth, but as of late I've noticed that the clicky doesn't seem to work quite as well as when I first bought it.

I'll go to double click it to change the mode and sometimes it will turn off, other times it won't do anything at all. Or I'll triple click to go to low low and it'll stay on the same setting, or just turn off, which can be disconcerting. I've been trying to hit the button with the same amount of pressure each time, and I guess the best way to describe its operation is "inconsistent." Reliability is of paramount concern for me, as it's my main light to be paired with my CCW when I don't carry my 6P with Malkoff (you guys are a bad influence- I started off with an E2D thinking it was the only good flashlight I'd ever need, now look). :)

I took it apart last night and it looks pretty clean inside, although there was some pocket lint near the o-rings, so I don't think it's caused due to dirt.

My question: is there any fix I can do myself, short of sending it back or buying a new tailcap? I love the light, the form factor, and the beam.

Thanks in advance!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have to give it a good push to ensure contact. Sometimes when you feel the pop from switch but contact is not made, so you only did one click when you want two.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should make contact EVERY time it clicks. Call Novatac service and explain it to them. They should help you out. Ask if they can just send you a new tail cap with the promise you will return yours once you get the replacement. In that way you can use yours until you get a new one.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Just one theory, from my own experience:

It could be you're clicking too long or too short.

I know that when I move from one light to another (Fenix, Gotham, Novatac) I have to click on and off differently.

A light with Milky's Acorn controller asks you live life at a slower pace, and if I click too quickly, I don't change modes. I know that with the NovaTac, I have to click fairly quickly, like a computer mouse. One thing I do a lot is, when I mean to turn it off, I end up just going to momentary High for half a second instead, so I have to remind myself to give it a swift click in the tail to turn it off.

Zenster

Enlightened
Just one theory, from my own experience:

It could be you're clicking too long or too short.

I know that when I move from one light to another (Fenix, Gotham, Novatac) I have to click on and off differently.

My finding as well.
On programmable lights, timing (of clicks) can mean a lot. Since I use many different lights, I find that I sometimes get kerplopity with my 120P the first time I pick it up after not using it for a couple or so days.
But once I get back in "the groove" with the clicks, everything's good.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it hard to believe you actually forgot how to click a p120, especially if you had no trouble the first time you used the light. I carry my P120 all of the time but rarely use it. I'd rather use my NDI. However, when I do use the p120, it works every time like it is supposed to, allowing for a review of the owners manual before I try some seldom used commands. Spend a few minutes with the owners manual and the light. If it is a matter of forgetting, it should come back a lot quicker the second time around.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should make contact EVERY time it clicks. Call Novatac service and explain it to them. They should help you out. Ask if they can just send you a new tail cap with the promise you will return yours once you get the replacement. In that way you can use yours until you get a new one.
Yep, I'd call or e-mail NovaTac's customer service. They should be able to help you get it straightened out...... sounds like a bad switch to me.

However...... just to be on the safe side.... be sure and clean both ends of the spring and those points on the head and tailcap where it makes contact.

jonesy

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips, guys. As an experiment I clicked it at the same pace/way for about 15 clicks in a row, as if I wanted to switch from the regular set of 10 lumens to 30. It worked fine for the first three cycles, then it turned itself off/on/off for the next set.

Everything is clean and tight, so maybe I just need to get in touch with Novatac and get a new tailcap.

This is kind of disconcerting for me as it's my EDC and it needs to be dependable. I'm not really hard on stuff either, so for it to have issues this soon is not very favorable.

Thanks again.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is kind of disconcerting for me as it's my EDC and it needs to be dependable. I'm not really hard on stuff either, so for it to have issues this soon is not very favorable.
First, any mass produced item is going to have a certain number of failures..... that's just how the percentages play out... which is why it's comforting to have a lifetime warranty and a good customer service department to back it up.

2nd, most CPF members have learned that no matter how robust their primary EDC light is (and trust me, the 120P is VERY robust)...... they always carry a backup (what if the battery dies?)...... and while I use my 120P pretty much every night on my job (chauffeur), I also carry a small 1xAA twisty light (Jetbeam C-LE) as my backup...... just in case....... AND a Streamlight Microstream 1xAAA..... just for fun.

jonesy

Enlightened
2nd, most CPF members have learned that no matter how robust their primary EDC light is (and trust me, the 120P is VERY robust)...... they always carry a backup (what if the battery dies?)...... and while I use my 120P pretty much every night on my job (chauffeur), I also carry a small 1xAA twisty light (Jetbeam C-LE) as my backup...... just in case....... AND a Streamlight Microstream 1xAAA..... just for fun.

Very true, that's good advice. There's always a photon on my keychain (looking to upgrade to an Arc or E01), but my main problem is running out of pocket room for more lights. My fiance gives me enough kidding when it's time to empty the pockets. :laughing:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true, that's good advice. There's always a photon on my keychain (looking to upgrade to an Arc or E01), but my main problem is running out of pocket room for more lights. My fiance gives me enough kidding when it's time to empty the pockets. :laughing:
Wait..... you've been here 4 months and you STILL have a fiance? :crackup:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 120P had this problem. I sprayed some Deoxit Gold into the bottom of the tailcap (so that it worked its way into the switch mechanism), and it has worked perfectly since then.

jonesy

Enlightened
Wait..... you've been here 4 months and you STILL have a fiance? :crackup:

Haha, the trick is to buy items that looks somewhat similar to other ones, so when the collection starts to grow, it's harder to tell what's new and what's old. Works with guns as well as lights! Yeah honey, that's the same glock/surefire that I had for awhile... :crackup: Seriously, though, I got lucky and found a good one that can deal with my various and sundry hobbies.

Speaking of my poor Novatac, I sent an email off to Novatac and got a very prompt response-- in short, they want the light back for a checkup. Maybe they'll take care of the off-center LED while they're at it. I'll keep you all up to date.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI the offcenter LED is very easy to fix. Unscrew the retainer ring from back of head, the LED is on a pill that drops out, so reposition it and tighten the ring.

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
I had the exact same problem with my 120T after only 3 days! I called Novatac and they offered to send me out a new tailcap. They also told me that some glue from the manurfacturing process might be interferring with the contact. They said I should hit the light on my hand several times and that it might free the switch contact up.

I've never heard that solution before! I ended up exchanging the Novatac for a Surefire E1B and couldn't be happier.

I think the Novatac 120T is a great light and the company CS seamed great also but I didn't feel like dealing with the trial and error of determining if just my switch was in fact faulty or there was a design flaw.

In all fairness my lack of patience was probably due to the SW M&P 9C I just got rid of, great gun but teething problems. But that's for a different forum.