Ordering O-Rings Online

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Where can I order O-Rings online? Me, being he lazy person I am, would much rather order online then trucking out to Home Depot or Lowes. In particular, I'm looking to order several -018 and -022 O-Rings. It's my understanding they're the correct ones for the bezel and tailcap for the 6p and 9p. In searching for o-rings online, I've come across some sites, however they require you know what material the o-ring should be made with. That being said, does anyone know what material(s) one should look for in a SureFire o-ring?

Tmac

Newly Enlightened
Hi this_is_nascar,

For general purposes Buna-N (Nitrile) o-rings will fit most applications just fine. As for in the bezel, heat would be my only concern. Being new into lights I couldn't tell you how hot it gets in the bezel area. I'm sure some other Forum members might know that. Buna-N is good to a temperature of 250 deg F. Most if not all of the o-rings I've felt in most lights have the texture, consistancy,color and squeeze of Buna. For another material of o-ring, if heat is a concern, you can look in to Viton (Flurorocarbon) o-rings. They can with stand temperatures up to 400 deg F.. They tend to be used in more corrosive environments and normally would not be required in an applications such as a light. Viton o-rings are usally brown in color and have a bit more "grippy" texture to it and they tend to be a bit more stiffer than Buna. They tend to be a bit more harder to install because they tend to have a little less "squeeze". And they can be up to 4 times the cost of Buna. So, the short answer to a long post is....Buna-N is proabably what you are looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for places to get o-rings. For anything less than quanities of 100, I'm not sure, but I'm sure they are out there (you might pay more to break up a pack). You can check out http://www.mcmaster.com for o-rings. For the sizes your looking for they'll be around $4-$5 per 100. They could pay for themselves if you sell a few I'm sure.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Tom

P.S. You guys have got a great place around here.

Illuminated

Enlightened
McMaster-Carr lists a nice O-ring material properties/application chart [edit-in their hardcopy catalog]. I don't know if it's accessible on their website, though.

John

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I didn't see o-rings listed on LPS. Do you guys know, specifically, they're listed or do you have to order by phone? LPS doesn't have a search function that I could find.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Welcome to the forum, Tmac (obviously a fellow engineer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
Dead on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif with your answer!

larry

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Definately have to call LPS for the O-Rings. I got some myself. If he hasn't got something, he'll get it. He had the 6p O-Rings in stock.
oldgrandpajack

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
By the way, you wouldn't happen to have the "dash" size for the 6p bezel and tailcap, would you? Someone reported (sorry, dont't remember who) that a -018 for the tailcap and -022 for the bezel.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i understand not wanting to get out but these are just too cheap and easy to get from any hardware store. what you would pay in shipping would probably be more than several o-rings.

stop by a small hardware store like ace, they are usually the same price or really close. you get far better service and don't have to hike a mile to find something, including the parking lot.

thegreatfixer

Newly Enlightened
Photo Item Description Price
2901-2VGA
382 PIECE O-RING SET $9.99
31677-0VGA
225 PC. NITRILE O-RING ASSORTMENT $6.99
30957-0VGA
5 PC. O-RING SPLICING KIT $7.99
30958-0VGA
O-RING SPLICING KIT REFILLS $4.99
41425-0VGA
Storehouse 407 PIECE O-RING STOREHOUSE $12.99

thegreatfixer

Newly Enlightened
ok they say three times is the charm well here i go again well i didn't what to mess this one up i checked my lights and the o-rings i have from my 382 pc. kit will not fit mini mag there to thick i use the o-rings for for the washing machines that i fix
maybe the bigger kit will work
thank you

thegreatfixer