Leef Gear C tail, C head and Bug Out Gear Drop in problem...

ftumch33

Enlightened
Looking for alittle enlightenment ladies and gentlemen.
I have a Leef Gear body that will take 2 R186500`s and I was trying to use the Bug Out Gear Q5 drop in and no matter what I do, I cannot get the light to work. I tried 3 or 4 different types of surefire and surefire compatable tailcaps, with and without a magnet for a spacer and still no light. When I return the drop in to my 9P, no problems, light, light and more light.
What could be causing the drop in not to work in the Leef Gear body?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How much anodizing do you see inside the Leef C head. Compare it to a Surefire body. I am talking about the area where you would install the drop-in into the body. Might not be enough bare aluminum in that area to make a good electrical contact.

Bill

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of Leef 2x18650 E Head C Tail bodies that I run with both P60 drop-ins and TurboHeads (using appropriate adapters), and I've had to work around connectivity issues at each of the following junctions:
  1. Drop-in body (or outer spring, if you're using one), to top of Leef body
  2. Battery to drop-in positive (inner) spring
  3. Bottom of Leef body to contact plate in tailcap
These set-ups have worked great once I got them sorted out, but both required fiddling.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Fiddle with the brass pill inside the BOG reflector drop in. I ended up taking mine, removing it, and putting a spare O-ring I had laying around inside the reflector base, then screwing the brass pill into that, buffered from the reflector by the o-ring. Screw that down REALLY tightly. I had to do the same for mine.

Another thing I had to do was add a drop of solder onto the pill base for the positive battery contact. It didn't have enough height for the AW batteries I was using.

ftumch33

Enlightened
I don`t think the problem is with the brass pill but with the round bulb of solder in the middle of it. I don`t think it`s tall enough to make contact with the positive contact on the battery. Also, the rectangular thingies around ti keep the battery from contacting it 100% as well. I was thinking I might have to build up the blob of solder in the middle as a magnet will not work. Any magnet I use pulls itself to the rectangular things surrounding the solder in the middle of the pill.