FENIX LOD not working...

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
My missus was a winner of one of the 3rd place Fenix lights, (LOD) a few monthes back when there was the fenix survey/giveaway.

The light has been turned on at most 10 times and as of recently, when turned on it dies real low and will go back up, and sometimes flickers. The battery is brand new and I have tried it with 2 other new cells 1 of which was from a new package i purchased and no luck, it still does it's own thing.

When you change modes from med (bad mode) to low, high. strobe and sos it is fine. It seems that it is only on med that it does this until you cycle through a few times, then is quits. Any solutions? Mail it back to fenix? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
first step is to clean all the contacts with isopropynol alcohol....like an alcohol swab..

lube it up and try again...if it still isnt working, first thing to do is contact fenix store...which is where i assume you bought it from?

Crenshaw

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure why only the medium level causes a flickering problem. The usual solution for a flickering symptom is to clean the threads throughly.

In particular, clean the top rim of the body - meaning the thin strip of metal that actually contacts the circuit board ring inside of the head. Even if all you do is to unscrew the head, remove the battery, and firmly press the top edge of the body down against a rug and twist it a few times, that helped a couple of my Fenix lights. That twisting action does leave a "ring" on the rug, so do it in a location that is not visible, certainly not visible to your wife.....

You might also check to ensure that there is no excess epoxy (white or black) around the very edge of the circuit board inside of the head. That circuit board contact ring is intended to contact the top of the body to turn the light on. The epoxy is placed on the threads inside the head to hold the LED capsule in place inside of the head.

When/if you lube the threads or head, use Nyogel or something equivalent.

Another option is to spray some RadioShack tuner/lubricant on a Q-Tip and then use the Q-Tip to clean the surface of the little circuit board inside the head.

cv3po

Banned
You might also check to ensure that there is no excess epoxy (white or black) around the very edge of the circuit board inside of the head. That circuit board contact ring is intended to contact the top of the body to turn the light on. The epoxy is placed on the threads inside the head to hold the LED capsule in place inside of the head.
quote]

+1! This has been the cause of nearly all LOD trouble that I've heard about. The epoxy on mine is pretty much clear tho', kinda hard to see. Just use an x-acto type knife and carefully (obviously don't damage the ring) cut away any excess. Good luck.......................

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try cleaning up the light and making sure there is no excess epoxy.

If both of those don't work, follow Matt's recommendation.

smootik

Newly Enlightened
You might also check to ensure that there is no excess epoxy (white or black) around the very edge of the circuit board inside of the head.
I had exactly same problem with a new L0D. It seemed to work fine, but developed flickering/switch problems very soon. I found two problems: a bit of crud (from threads?) has fallen onto board preventing it from making full contact, plus there was excess of glue inside the head, covering part of metal contact area. Delicately scrapping them with a thin jeweler's screwdriver solved the issues. Twisty switch now works reliably.

See "head module (rear)" photo at the following page to see what a clear head should look like.
http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_l0d_ce/review.html

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
first step is to clean all the contacts with isopropynol alcohol....like an alcohol swab..

lube it up and try again...if it still isnt working, first thing to do is contact fenix store...which is where i assume you bought it from?

Crenshaw

I should have mentioned, I had cleaned all the contacts already. Seems to only be funny on med power, all 4 other functions are fine.

It was not purchased. It was won in the fenix survey/giveaway.

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Hey. I'm sorry your light isn't working right!

I noticed that you are in Canada. You can send an email to [email protected] with your issues and they can get you in touch with the Canadian distributor to get that issue resolved. :)

Matt

Thank you Matt, I may end up having to do so. Such a fantastic little light. I cannot believe the output from something so tiny. Love it and may have to get one for myself.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was not purchased. It was won in the fenix survey/giveaway.
oh yeah....:ohgeez:

my thinking was actually "i assume you won it from there"

either way its a great little thing...hope it works out well for you...:)

Crenshaw