HDS upgrades?

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Do any modders yet offer upgrades to the HDS EDC lights which will increase lumens beyond the 120-130 range? Love my Seoul upgrade from a couple years ago. Have another unmodded HDS just waiting for a lumen boost.

If so, do any forumites offer the service?

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.....

But, That's it?

In the world of modding, only one person is offering an upgrade of over 130
lumens?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my HDS U60XR from Milkyspit.
It was modded with a K2TFFC emitter, and looks brighter than my old HDS U60XRGT Seoul.

Great upgrade, love It.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my HDS U60XR from Milkyspit.
It was modded with a K2TFFC emitter, and looks brighter than my old HDS U60XRGT Seoul.

Great upgrade, love It.

Got pics? I gotta see how a K2 can fit in there.

Perhaps your old XRGT is driving the Seoul less hard than the XR. Also the K2 has slightly better color rendition so that also helps in making it seem brighter.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you'd see an improvement with the latest Q5 Crees and P4 Seouls, but not anything dramatic. The emitters are still becoming more and more efficient, but I don't think we'll see another dramatic spike like we did with the early Crees vs. the Luxeons. Just my humble opinion! :)

The K2 TFFCs have merit, largely the tint (I agree with Tebore). Perhaps someone would/could swap out the light engine for a multi-level light with a 1A high- you'd definitely see a boost in output, but I love the HDS design and couldn't bring myself to totally gut one. It could be done, I'm sure...:whistle:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think the K2 throws better than a Seoul. That might make it look brighter.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got pics? I gotta see how a K2 can fit in there.

Perhaps your old XRGT is driving the Seoul less hard than the XR. Also the K2 has slightly better color rendition so that also helps in making it seem brighter.
It can be done, I just removed some of the casing material from until it fitted in the Lux space and voila!! The K2 ahs those square corners that makes it difficult to fit where a Lux or Seoul drop. NO damage to the K2 whatsoever , Ill get some pic up latter.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm if the K2's efficiency catches up and surpasses SSC I think I'll have to get one in my HDS. Pics of the K2 in the the HDS would be great guys.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Love my Seoul upgrade from a couple years ago.

I didn't think the P4's were out that long.

...Have another unmodded HDS just waiting for a lumen boost.

If so, do any forumites offer the service?

I've done a bunch of these mods. I'll defer to Milky but if he's busy, I *may* be able to swing a mod like this (my thumb is messed up right now)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems just like yesterday but the last doubling in efficiency in LED tech was about 18 months ago. C'mon another doubling.

Time flies. There's possibly another 6 months to go for that doubling according to Haitz's law.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad news guys. :shakehead

I found my Camera, but the battery Is dead and need to charge It.
I can't seem to find It. :mad:

Maybe Milkyspit took some? :wave:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad news guys. :shakehead

I found my Camera, but the battery Is dead and need to charge It.
I can't seem to find It. :mad:

Maybe Milkyspit took some? :wave:

Hi Skalo! :wave:

Not sure if I've got photos of that particular light, but I'll check in a bit.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think the P4's were out that long.

CM, I could be a little off but if memory serves, the first SSCP4 emitters were available in late 2006... I seem to recall buying my first few from Mouser back in November? 2006.

That said, it seems like a LOOOONG time to be stuck at the U-flux... but I've gone through at least 1000 SSCP4 US*OH to date and have noted the average luminous output has been increasing. At first the parts seemed to be at the bottom of the range... 91 lumens or just a bit more when driven at 350mA. Now it seems a fair expectation that the average SSCP4 will be around 100-105 lumens... and since the U1/U2 sub-binning scheme has been put into place, one can get U2SWOH with guaranteed minimum 100 lumens, and as high as 118 lumens.

The main thing with SSC is their bin range is so broad that they sit in a single bin while equivalent Cree parts have gone through P3, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2... Cree's binning is narrower, makes it seem like there's been lots more progress. Maybe SSC is trying to get into the game with these U1/U2 bins! :thinking:

I've done a bunch of these mods. I'll defer to Milky but if he's busy, I *may* be able to swing a mod like this (my thumb is messed up right now)

I'm always up for an HDS mod, anyone needs me send PM here or on CPF Marketplace, or email me at...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

Gotta tip my cap to CM, though... he's not exactly a slouch with this stuff! ;)

Appreciate the props, CM, that's a very classy gesture. :eek:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm if the K2's efficiency catches up and surpasses SSC I think I'll have to get one in my HDS. Pics of the K2 in the the HDS would be great guys.

Tebore, I've got a personal HDS U60GT that I upgraded to K2T (my unofficial and very lazy shorthand for K2-TFFC) that seems to clock roughly 171 lumens overall output on max! My equipment isn't the most precise in the world but from real world observation, it doesn't seem to be off by much. Kid9P saw it at PF10 last month... it's a real screamer! :naughty: (Finally, after upgrading a whole bunch of other folks' HDS and having my personal ones underperform the customer lights, I got myself a good one!)

Incidentally, the K2T needs to have the black plastic portion trimmed fairly extensively to fit in the round heatsinking cavity of the HDS... basically the whole square peg in a round hole thing... :whistle:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tebore, I've got a personal HDS U60GT that I upgraded to K2T (my unofficial and very lazy shorthand for K2-TFFC) that seems to clock roughly 171 lumens overall output on max! My equipment isn't the most precise in the world but from real world observation, it doesn't seem to be off by much. Kid9P saw it at PF10 last month... it's a real screamer! :naughty: (Finally, after upgrading a whole bunch of other folks' HDS and having my personal ones underperform the customer lights, I got myself a good one!)

Incidentally, the K2T needs to have the black plastic portion trimmed fairly extensively to fit in the round heatsinking cavity of the HDS... basically the whole square peg in a round hole thing... :whistle:

Would you say on average a K2T is brighter than a U-bin? If it is I'll have to find me some. What's the tint on yours? May I ask for a beam shot comparing a K2T to an SSC? This K2 business has peaked my interest.

My HDS' need a shot in the arm and I'm hoping to warm up their tints while at it.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS60.pdf
K2 with TFFC rated 75-95Lm at 350 mA.
So, new U2 Seoul still brighter, as well as Cree R2
:whistle:

That's what I thought too. However with LumiLEDs especially the Lux III not to believe everything on the spec sheet.

There was the joker Fiasco, the U-Bin which had higher lms then the spec sheet, the Lux-V where binning was really a lotto.

I was hoping someone knew something I didn't.