Photosensitivity to short wavelengths

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I recently developed a red itchy area on my left arm near the elbow. It's been annoying me on and off for the past week or so.

It was particularly bad today at work, but I noticed that the itching, burning and redness subsided dramatically after I got home. Hmm. Later I went to the grocery store and I found that while I was in the (brightly lit) store, the itching started up again. It started to subside when I got home again. :thinking:

So I did a little bit of research and found that I might have developed photosensitivity in this area of my skin. One of the articles I ran across stated that fluorescent lighting can set it off. So I held my arm up to a cool-white fluorescent lamp for a few moments, and it started to itch again!

Now I'm really wondering. Sitting at this computer, I'm basking in the soft glow of a warm white CFL and it's not bothering me.

So I grabbed a small "finger light" that has a 5mm blue LED inside and I waved it across the sensitive area of my arm, and 'lo and behold, I could produce a tiny, barely noticeable itching reaction just from the blue LED! I could almost "feel" the light in real time as I waved it closely on one of the sensitive areas. It was astonishing.

Does anyone else have this issue, specifically a sensitivity to short wavelengths such as sunlight and the high blue content of cool white fluorescents?

BTW I've been treating it with hydrocortisone cream and witch hazel, and that seems to be helping. (I've also made an app't with my dermatologist to find out what the underlying cause of this is).

Chuck289

Enlightened
Thats interesting. Ive been getting some itchy spots on the backs of my hands, and cant figure out whats causing it. I'm going to have to look into this photosensitivity thing more.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every Springtime my son experiences an allergy to the sun. He gets rashes that start at the inside skin area of his joints then it just sort of spreads to his neck & generally along his arms & legs.

We live in New England and the weather all winter is usually just terrible, so every Spring it's sort of a shock to his body to see the sunlight.

The relief is to use loads of zinc-based sunblock and to take a Claritin pill every day for a couple weeks. After he's been outside a bunch we can start tapering things off, though not the sunblock because that's just a good thing all around for many reasons.

When he has the itchies any exposure to light with UV really seems to draw up the histamines.

So... have you ever had this before? Maybe you get this every Spring? Just a thought. The other suggestion that many drugs bring out a photosensitivity is pretty likely if you're taking anything. If not, and depending on where you live, maybe you're just not used to the UV?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The relief is to use loads of zinc-based sunblock and to take a Claritin pill every day for a couple weeks. After he's been outside a bunch we can start tapering things off, though not the sunblock because that's just a good thing all around for many reasons.

When he has the itchies any exposure to light with UV really seems to draw up the histamines.

So... have you ever had this before? Maybe you get this every Spring? Just a thought. The other suggestion that many drugs bring out a photosensitivity is pretty likely if you're taking anything. If not, and depending on where you live, maybe you're just not used to the UV?

I've never had this before, and I've been on the same couple of medications for years now, neither of which is known for triggering photosensitivity. I am having a mild spring allergy reaction to something airborne, and the pollen counts have been off the charts lately. It's interesting that it seems to be a histamine reaction, at least in your son. I did take a Loratadine (generic Claritin) today and it hasn't been quite as bad, but I also wore long sleeves and I've been applying hydrocortisone periodically, so I can't say which measure has been the most beneficial.

Thanks for the input!

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you been bitten by one of those nasties from "I am Legend?"

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hmm, I never did like garlic much. :laughing:

It's been a little better after two days of (generic) Claritin. I see the dermatologist on Monday so I should have a definitive diagnosis by then. What a weird problem to have, especially for a flashaholic. :ironic:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Well I saw the dermatologist today and he confirmed what I suspected - I've developed a photosensitivity. Apparently it's been lurking for awhile and it was triggererd by a confluence of unusually high pollen levels in conjunction with extended exposure to cool white fluorescent lighting.

We don't know the underlying cause of the photosensitivity yet, but he prescribed an ointment to control the irritation if it shows up again. It's in remission right now.

So we've got a bit of detective work ahead of us. I'll do some more research online and if I hit any paydirt I'll post my findings here. In the meantime, if anyone else here has a similar issue, can you share your experience?