Help building a tri-ssc maglite

allburger

Enlightened
I am planning a 2c or 3c maglite for 3 ssc p4 emitters.

I am going to use the fenixstore heatsink, and 18650s to power it.

What I am looking for is a shopping list. What i need now is a source for a driver. Do i need a driver because this is going to be ran in series? I want these things bright. I'm less concerned about run time.

And also, i need a source for 3 reflectors.

The cheaper the better. I love dealing with DX because their stuff is cheap cheap cheap.

Also, do the tri p4's have decent throw compared to a single ssc in a mag reflector?

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Shark converter from the Shoppe would be able to run 3 SSC P4's in series, however chances are it won't work well from a single 18650, you'd need to go with 2x18500 or 2 C-size li-ions. If I were you and wanted to use 1 18650 cell, I'd go for 3 individual DX sku.4735 boards - one per emitter, and a 2C host. With these, you could also run the light on a pair of regular alkaline C cells with sighlty diminished output.

IMS 20mm reflectors work well for the application, and they're like $5 a piece.

Expect ~9000 lux @1m with emitters driven @700 mA. Less then a single SSC P4 in smooth Mag reflector, but with a larger, more usable hotspot.

A P7 Mag would probably be easier to build especially if you go direct drive with a single 18650 cell. Should be brighter and throw better, too.

Last edited: