what flashlight for airline pilot.....?

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
hai guys.
To make it short, I want to give my airline pilot brother a decent LED torch that he can use in his job.
The flashlight must be low enough to able him to read flight precheck lists and maps but also bright enough for airplane body precheck for night flight.
Prefer AA size battery since 123 is hard to find in remote area. (believe me places that my bro fly to is really really remote area).
I want to keep this under reasonable budget, I am a scholarship student with very very tight budget, so surefire a2 aviator is out of the question, hehe

Any recommendations?

edit: budget will be around US 100-120(150 is the highest) shipped to sydney. (surefire aviator cost less but the shipping to sydney is outrages)

Thanks
Giandi

Last edited:

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
16 lumen of white light, would be a little much and kill night vision (IMO).

A pilot needs something that does not destroy night vision. A red light or a red filter would be advisable and it would be even better if it also has a multi mode a low green or low blue for the maps.

A torch will destroy night vision but is sometimes needed for preflight and other tasks and emergency use.

I'm not sure what is out there in one package that will fit his specific needs but consider two lights. A torch for the pocket or flight bag, and a light that can be used for maps and preflight that does not destroy night vision.

-edit: forgot the recommendation-

Take a look at the Fenix L1D and the L2D. They have several mods but easy to go from turbo to low, the two modes that will be used most. Also if you decide to get a Fenix be sure to get a red filter.

Some photon key chain LEDs (red/green/blue) on a neck lanyard is also a good option, but they don't run on AAs. Maybe someone has a better recommendation for some non-white options.

Last edited:

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Fenix L2T V2 is a good choice. Would suggest you also get the red filter attachment as the low mode without is too bright.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
peak matterhorn with a red led to preserve night vision. Small enough not to cause discomfort on long flights.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
lights with red leds... the proton pro comes to mind. But I don't think its high is bright enough, so I think that limits it to white LEDs only.

To keep things simple, I'll stick to AAs. The Nitecore Defender Infinity and the JETBeam JET-I MK.II IBS can both be set very low, and also have a very bright turbo. They both have "infinite brightness selection" - dimmable and memorized light levels. The Nitecore is larger, more rugged, has a simpler UI, and is more efficient (longer battery life for a given output). The JETBeam is smooth (pocket-friendly), smaller, has more options, and can be set an insane turbo level that only runs for 20 minutes. I think the NDI's highest level would be enough, though.

Those are the only adjustable AA lights. I don't think there are AA lights with a preset low around 1 lumen, but I may be wrong. Either way, I'd say an NDI is the way to go.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way Peak has a memorial day sale and you can get the red led matterhorn for $22

p1000017jx3.jpg

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a small airplane? Proton Pro might do the trick. White light comes on high, red on low.

Brigadier

Enlightened

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
Is this a small airplane? Proton Pro might do the trick. White light comes on high, red on low.

My bro flies small CASA 212 propeller and also 737-400. so he needs low enough to read map on manual CASA flight and bright enough to body precheck for both CASA and 737.

My budget will be around US 100-120 shipped to sydney.

Thanks 4 all the suggestions, i really appreciate that.

Giandi

Last edited:

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at some of the options here:

http://www.sportys.com/flashlightguide/
but if you decide on one, get it at a differnet store. :whistle:

The Streamlight Night Com looks like it may be good option. But it's not AA.

The SureFire E1L, E2L are good options if you also get a red filter. I don't know how 3 lumen would affect night vision when in a small cockpit. SureFires build quality "feels" better to me than the Fenix that I recommended earlier (not wanting to start a fenix/surefire debate). They also have a lower low than the Fenix options. Again not an AA, and getting close to the cost of an A2.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's a light with a low enough low that will also be bright enough for examining the outside of the plane at night. Some people have posted that even 1 lumen is too much light to read a map in the cockpit at night.

The Olight T25 might be a good start, but I suspect it will still be too bright even on it's lowest setting, but it's probably suitable for the outdoor examining task, and it runs on AA's (alkaline batteries are not recommended though, NiMH are the way to go).

What light does he use now to read maps? That might give us an idea of what brightness level he's comfortable with for night map reading.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I don't think there's a light with a low enough low that will also be bright enough for examining the outside of the plane at night. Some people have posted that even 1 lumen is too much light to read a map in the cockpit at night.

Novatac - .3 lumen up thru 120 lumen.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Definitely the Photon Proton Pro. It either comes on high for white, or low for red (depending on how you press the switch). Low red is DEFINITELY low enough to not ruin night vision, and the light itself can be found for ~$40 used, or ~$50-55 new.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
The best one is the Surefire A2 with a white low beam and if red is desired put a flip up lens cover on it. Downside is the A2 uses CR123A's which are expensive in Oz and CASA regulations prohibit carriage of more than two spare lithium batteries. The A2 has both low and high settings with an idiot proof switch.

In a 737 there's generally no need for an additional light for reading charts etc, the overheads are reliable.

I haven't found a truly acceptable alternative to the A2 yet.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention, I ordered two of the Nitecore Defender 1 x AA lights, hopefully they will be ideal for this work. Unfortunately I'm about to disappear for months the day after they arrive in the mail so won't be able to report on how useful they are.