New Guy looking for advice on best EDC

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Fenix TK10 and P3D Q5 to replace my Surefire E2 Outdoorsman. The TK10 stays in the vehicle while the P3D is always on my hip in the holster. I also EDC a Letherman Charge Ti multi-tool.

While I like the Fenix P3D a lot right now for my EDC (multiple brightness levels are GREAT), I'm not sure it will hold up over time like my Surefire has. :shakehead

I've started looking at the recent Surefire lights that have come out.

I'd like some help on picking a new one for EDC. I'd like something around the size of my old E2 Outdoorsman or a little bigger if necessary that has the best combination of brightness (minimum 65 lums on high) and long run times.

The Fenix TK10 is about perfect on the durability, brightness, and runtimes but is a bit too big to carry everyday. What does Surefire have (or is about to release) that comes the closest to my needs?

:confused:

TIA to everyone.

umc

Enlightened
Surefire E1B for the win:grin2:

I EDC a Surefire C2 HAIII with a Malkoff M60 in it and love it, I wear it in the left Carpenter pocket of my jeans. I also carry a Fenix LOD in the watch pocket if it wasn't for all of the other stuff I carry I would have one of my E1B's on me as well but just can't find room for it right now.

m16a

Enlightened
If your mind is set on Surefire, I'd second the E1B. It gets 80 Surefire Lumens and is of course, made by a reputable company. I don't have one myself, but it is a good looking light and highly praised as well.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P3D should hold up just fine under normal to moderately abusive use.

The Novatac might work but it's wider then the P3D.

Surefire does have the E1B, E2L(two mode), and L1.

:welcome:

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Just imagine if Fenix came out with a 'Baby' TK10, running on 1xCR123

I'm dreaming again

That would be nice indeed. But not as nice as the Surefire E1B. :devil:
I just had the chance to handle a bunch of Surefires at the local cutlery shop. I really liked the 6PL, L1, E2DL, and E1B. I think any of them would make a great EDC light.

I know I'll be buying one of them but which one?? :(

Of course... I just ordered my third Fenix; an L1D Q5. :eek:

I think I might have an addiction. :help:

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
This is getting bad...

I just ordered a Surefire E2D LED.

Someone please help me!!

:mecry::banghead:

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
This is getting bad...

I just ordered a Surefire E2D LED.

Someone please help me!!

:mecry::banghead:

Well, there you go. I was going to recommend that you consider the E2DL.

I picked up a pretty useful keychain from an Eddie Bauer store near where I live. The keychain is one of those devices with numerous individual loops for keys so that you can remove and/or add keys to the chain at will. I attach my E2D (my current EDC light) to my keychain via one of the holes in the E2D's tailcap, and find it to work very well for every day carry.

My E2DL's are scheduled for arrival tomorrow, so I plan on replacing my 'ol faithful E2D with an E2DL on my keychain as my new EDC light.

Zenster

Enlightened
I've got most of what's mentioned above, and I can't fault any of my Surefire single cell lights 'cuz I love 'em to death.
But for the most "all-around" EDC, my 120P Novatac ends up in the rotation probably more often than any other.

What I like about it is that it doesn't work a "certain" way like most other lights. It works the way that I program it to, so it works differently at different times, and always in the way that I want it to work.
Plus, it's about the same size as my single cell Surfire lights (smaller, actually), and it's knurling doesn't tear up my pants so much.

So if I had to trim down my 7 or 8 EDC lights to just one, it would have to be the 120P (but trimming down just ain't gonna' happen ;) ).
Still, the E1B, E1L/Single, E1L/Dual, L1, NDI, JetI/IBS and others get their time in my pocket as well. They're all good in their own way, and none of them would be a bad choice.
But the best? (according to me)... the 120P.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,
While I like the Fenix P3D a lot right now for my EDC (multiple brightness levels are GREAT), I'm not sure it will hold up over time like my Surefire has. :shakehead
Hi, I'm curious about this statement. Would you mind explaining why you feel this way?

Not trying to make this into a Fenix vs Surefire debate, but curious as to why you don't think the P3D will last...

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I've got most of what's mentioned above, and I can't fault any of my Surefire single cell lights 'cuz I love 'em to death.
But for the most "all-around" EDC, my 120P Novatac ends up in the rotation probably more often than any other.

But the best? (according to me)... the 120P.

Gee... Thanks Zenster.
Now I'm drooling over ANOTHER flashlight. :twak:

That's not the kind of help a new Flashaholic needs!!! :banghead:

Seriously, thank you all for the suggestions and help. I'm now seriously thinking about also picking up the Surefire E1B and the Novatac 120P.

You can never have too many lights. :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Of course I'll help you.

You seem to be missing a LED thrower. Seeing as one of the best ones out right now is the Dereelight DBS(also easily upgradeable), you might want to look at that one.

You'll also want a keychain light, so the Fenix L0D-CE Q4, Liteflux LF2X, Modamag Draco(if you want to spend that much) or a few others might work.

Also a modded light might be good too so you could send your E2 to Milkyspit or another member who is willing to mod for you.

Also HIDs...

As you can tell, this just gos on and on.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Surefire L1 Cree gets a lotta love. Surefires are tough. Fenix is no sissy either but I like the knurling on the SFs... BIG fan of knurling.

L1 has two levels, so you'll get your runtimes, but also brightness when want it.

E1B is good too, but did I mention I like knurling?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Fenix TK10 and P3D Q5 to replace my Surefire E2 Outdoorsman. The TK10 stays in the vehicle while the P3D is always on my hip in the holster. I also EDC a Letherman Charge Ti multi-tool.

I've started looking at the recent Surefire lights that have come out.

I'd like some help on picking a new one for EDC. I'd like something around the size of my old E2 Outdoorsman or a little bigger if necessary that has the best combination of brightness (minimum 65 lums on high) and long run times.

The Fenix TK10 is about perfect on the durability, brightness, and runtimes but is a bit too big to carry everyday. What does Surefire have (or is about to release) that comes the closest to my needs?

:confused:

TIA to everyone.

sawlight

Enlightened
I've had the 120P since Christmas, I would like to find a nice backup light, but certainly don't feel the need to find another EDC!! It doesn't always throw far enough, but it lights it up, when you are working close the 10lum. setting is just about perfect! The beam for general work, is just about perfect!!
And tough? Trust me, this thing is plenty stong and will put up with abuse and keep working!!
I LOVE Surefire lights, but they don't make anything as versatile as the 120p for a realistic price!

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
Looks like I'm the only one here to suggest the Olight T-20. Would anyone care to comment why this is not a viable competitor? My T-20's have held up very well, have plenty of features and cost less than Fenix. Thanks.