Surefire upgrade

sj29

Newly Enlightened
I've got an older Surfire G2....
sf_g2_nitrolon_bk_jpg.jpg

What's my best bet for an upgrade...highest Lum/best price-store:twothumbs

umc

Enlightened
Does it have a lock out tail cap? If not give Surefire a call, they sent me out one for an older G2 I had. Just a side note thought for an upgrade for ya.

For the light, How about a Malkoff M60, M60L or M60LL?

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to get the M60L...I wasn't thinking about how the G2 is made of plastic. The regular high power M60 can only be used in short bursts in a G2 due to the plastic body not transferring heat. The M60L will work fine for extended periods though.

You won't find a higher quality drop-in than a Malkoff! :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Be careful with high power LED drop-ins driven at a high current. The LED could overheat in the polymer body and die.

If you want cheap, check DX for some of their drop-ins.

For better quality, the malkoff M60L or M60LL should be good.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have heard of people asking surefire if they would upgrade thier nitrolan heads to alu heads....done for free..is that true?

wow, this one has the crosshair on it

Crenshaw

umc

Enlightened
It seems like I read somewhere here, that the new G2Ls all come with an aluminum head, for heat dissipation reasons.

They do. It's my understanding that the G2L's didn't start out that way though. They were the Nitrolon heads but Surefire then changed to the Aluminum for the heat reason..

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the G2L-BK and G2L-YL originally shipped with nitrolon heads. They were later changed to aluminium heads, although it was only the -BK version that received this treatment initially as SureFire did not yet have a production of yellow aluminium heads.

SureFire have shipped aluminium heads to owners of the early nitrolon G2Ls who requested them. I doubt, however, that they would provide an aluminium head to the owner of a G2 to facilitate the use of a third-party LED module.

Regards,
Tempest

precisionworks

Flashaholic
All four of my G2's have the M60LL:D

Eight hours of beautiful light, great color temp, near perfect beam shape, and it runs cool for long periods of time. For dog walking, the 6P/M60 gets grabbed ... for everything else, it's a G2/M60LL (and one is always close at hand).

txgp17

Enlightened
For a G2, I feel the Malkoff is the best. The heavy amount of brass that Gene uses will absorb a lot of heat to keep it at max output longer mos other LED drop-ins.

I've bought 5 Malkoff's. Each was worth every penny.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
One of the malkoff low output models would work great for the G2. You probably shouldn't run the high output M60, because it can over heat if you run it to long in a non-metal light.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an older Surfire G2....
sf_g2_nitrolon_bk_jpg.jpg

What's my best bet for an upgrade...highest Lum/best price-store:twothumbs
Get a quality incandescent lamp assembly and li-ion batteries. The G2 is a bad host for high-powered LEDs, unless you replace the Nitrolon bezel with a new metal bezel.

Run the HO-9 on 2X AW RCR123 and you'll be pretty pleased.

www.lumensfactory.com

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
Well the Malkoff would be the best LED drop-in you could buy. That large brass heat spreader incasing the light helps alleviate the overheating problem, but for good measure I would reccomend the M60L or LL (low and lower versions) just in case. Both are considerable upgrades in runtime, and the M60L really isn't that much dimmer than regular M60, so decide on what you'll be using the light for (runtime vs brightness).

If you want to stick with incandesants, you can get a HO-9 from Lumens Factory and run it on two rechargable 123a cells.

If you don't want to deal with rechargables then the Malkoff is perfect, the Low versions have amazing runtimes and still maintain that great beam. In all proabaility, you'll have little or no heat problems in the G2 if you get one of the Low versions. Heat doesn't even become an issue unless your using the light for more than a few minutes at a time.

Again choose based on what your own personal needs are for the flashlight.

Stainz

Enlightened
Call Surefire - order a P60L head - I'll bet they'll send you that Al bezel gratis. I have been happy with my long run-time 6P LED and the 6P I bought to 'upgrade' to an after market... I just bought a P60L for it, as buying some drop-ins requires 'luck'. The P60L is a stock item. I am super happy with both 6P/6P LEDs - they only differ in their name on the side. Great utilitarian flashlights... great build quality, of course. Safe, too - internal circuitry cuts back current as temp increases, avoiding 'meltdown'. Order some batteries, too - they give free s/h with $100 order and 2-day is only +$2.

Stainz

roymail

Enlightened
sj29, you're getting good advice... avoid high power drop-ins in your Nitrolon light. There's a M60L and M60LL in the BST section. This is probably the premium upgrade. Otherwise, a DX 6090 works very well in a G2. And, you can usually find a 6P bezel in the BST... also a good upgrade.

Last edited: