My first two P7 builds **Beam shots**

ledaholic

Enlightened
Figured I might as well get on the wagon. My first was using the CPF host with laser engraved flames and CPF logo from Aircraft800. It's a direct drive 3D 10Ah NiMh with a CSWOI P7 and my first attempt at sputtering a Mag reflector. It came out about like a MOP. The second light is a Fivemega finned and cutdown to 1.25 D Mag, CSWOI P7, D2DIM controller, 8x7135 regulator and a D Li-Ion again with my second attempt at sputtering. The second reflector came out more like a heavy OP. I think this one is my favorite so far:thumbsup: I guess I'm a convert now :eek:
The pics aren't the greatest but you get the idea.
Both heads are the same size, I had them standing on end so one is a lot shorter the other.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Ok, a couple of beamshots with color removed, set to manual, same settings.

Iso 400
F2.7
1/8

About 60 ft to the shop.

P7 3D direct drive
IMG_0236.jpg

P7 1D Li-Ion regulated
IMG_0237.jpg

Last edited:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
Re: My first two P7 builds

Sweet lights, if you get a chance, beam shots would be nice. I've done a 3D direct drive and am planning a 1D with a similar setup to yours. Hows the D2DIM and 8x7135? What kind of amps is it pulling?

ledaholic

Enlightened

Sweet lights, if you get a chance, beam shots would be nice. I've done a 3D direct drive and am planning a 1D with a similar setup to yours. Hows the D2DIM and 8x7135? What kind of amps is it pulling?

The D2DIM is great, the 8x7135 does a good job regulating the current to about 2.5A. There is a visible difference between the 3D and the limited 1 D. If you want max power, leave out the regulator. I wanted to keep the heat down a little but may decide later to bypass the regulator.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bob,

That was quick! It looks like you got a very even coat on both reflectors. How's the beam with the modified reflectors? Does the modified M*g reflector work better than a MOP from Litho or FM? How would this setup compare with a M*g11?

I may have to build one of the 1D Shortys.

ledaholic

Enlightened

Bob,

That was quick! It looks like you got a very even coat on both reflectors. How's the beam with the modified reflectors? Does the modified M*g reflector work better than a MOP from Litho or FM? How would this setup compare with a M*g11?

I may have to build one of the 1D Shortys.

Matt,

The first- 3D reflector is good, it just has a hint of a donut at max focus. The second- 1D reflector is perfect. It is a very smooth hot spot and good spill. It still throws well but is imo a more useful beam. I have a LOP and MOP aluminum reflectors I bought for LUX/SEOUL mods that work with the P7, but I think the Mag sputtered reflectors are better. I used Krylon Crystal Clear paint that seemed to work really well, as in easy to sputter. If I get a chance, I'll post some beamshots.

Bob

linterno

Enlightened

I used Krylon Crystal Clear paint that seemed to work really well, as in easy to sputter.

Bob
Bob:

Could you please write an small explanation about how to sputter the reflector using Krylon paint?

Thank you in advance.

ledaholic

Enlightened

Bob:

Could you please write an small explanation about how to sputter the reflector using Krylon paint?

Thank you in advance.

I'll do my best.
Before you try on a good reflector, you might want to try on an old reflector first.
Set the reflector so that the large opening is facing up. Take the spray paint and press the nozzle just a little until the paint just comes out in a "spit" or little droplets. Holding the can about 18-24 inches away from the reflector, let the droplets fall on the reflector. Turn the reflector as you do this to ensure even coverage. Just a little at a time, put just a little amount of droplets on at a time and let them firm up between sputtering. If you get too much on, the paint droplets might run. Continue to sputter in small doses until you get the desired effect. When you are done sputtering, let the droplets firm up a little then give the reflector a solid coat using the normal technique of spray painting. The paint may look cloudy at first but will clear as it dries. Some clear paints are affected by temp and humidity and may dry cloudy so read the label and make sure the conditions are suitable. Again, do a test before doing the reflector.

I hope this helps. I wasn't sure I could do this very well myself, but it really isn't that hard, just practice first.

Bob

ledaholic

Enlightened

A couple beam shots added. I may do some more this weekend adding some reference to other lights.