Any C.O.'s Out There?

Rocketman

Enlightened
Hi, I was wanting to see if there were any other corrections officers around and what lights they use in their work, just because, well, I guess I'm a flashlight nerd.

I have been using my Inova Bolt 2A and my Scorpion LED C4. I use my Scorpion to get the attention of my picket operator and also for cell searches when I need lots of light. It seems strong enough to smack someone with if needed.

My thoughts on the Scorpion C4, the led seems rather larger and it seems this is why the beam is not perfectly distributed. Perhaps, though, the reflector needs work, I don't really know. I wish reflectors on these large led lights were made to smooth the beams out more, seems like we have that technology, don't we? It's not at all *bad* though, I just wish it had that perfect beam. The light is perfect in every other way though.

Do these new, bright led's burn out quickly or loose their color? Anyone know?

I'm thinking of buying a Surefire 6P as my next light.

Well, I guess that's enough for this post.

Oh yeah, I read something in the Announcements forum, you might want to consider sending in some bills to the woman who runs this site, she is having some difficulties. I sent in $20, for now.

Lata >====>Stephen

noleincol

Newly Enlightened
I work in a state of South Carolina offender warehousing facility (prison) and use four lights at work depending on situation. SF 6P with Malkoff M60 for general use and shakedowns, Fenix P1D CE in pocket for backup, 4D M@glite with Malkoff D drop-in for decent throw and long runtime on the perimeter, and lastly a Sam's POB HID for large amounts of light outside. I heartily endorse the purchase of 6P with an led of any make. The Malkoff M60 is, in my opinion, a great product with good construction and color tint but, almost too bright. A lower output M60L would give better runtime and not be so blinding up close. Good luck and be careful.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't even have a job yet, so no real use comments from me.

As for the reflector, a textured reflector will give a smoother beam at the cost of some throw.

If the LED is driven correctly with enough heatsinking, they shouldn't loose color(phosphor damage) or dim noticeably within your period of use(a few years?).

As for the 6P, if you get one, maybe a good LED drop-in would be in order?

GPB

Enlightened
I don't know about the needs of a CO, but I know that when I choose my lights, I think about how long I am going to need them for. I usually subscribe to the "you can never have too much light" theory, but for a guy inside a prison, I would value burn time as much as brightness. The thought of being stuck deep inside a prison, where there's very little ambient light, and hundreds of people who would like to hurt me, I'd want a light that would burn for 12 hours or so, and I'd carry a spare set of batteries at all times. I had to spend a night in a county lock up for a youthful indescresion and it was the scariest thing I have ever been through. You couldn't pay me enough to be a CO. No freaking way.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in a state of South Carolina offender warehousing facility (prison) and use four lights at work depending on situation. SF 6P with Malkoff M60 for general use and shakedowns, Fenix P1D CE in pocket for backup, 4D M@glite with Malkoff D drop-in for decent throw and long runtime on the perimeter, and lastly a Sam's POB HID for large amounts of light outside. I heartily endorse the purchase of 6P with an led of any make. The Malkoff M60 is, in my opinion, a great product with good construction and color tint but, almost too bright. A lower output M60L would give better runtime and not be so blinding up close. Good luck and be careful.

Very true - the M60's backscatter is blinding, within three feet. Six feet to ten feet is where it becomes comfortable to look at reflected on a white wall. I'd recommend a Surefire tip-up beamfilter if you're gonna get that one for up-close use - it should take the edge off that ferocious little hotspot, while leaving the monster throw available at a moment's notice.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
As a LEO I have worked in a county lockup. That building is big and NO windows. When power goes out it gets dark. Luckily the generators kick in but there has been a time when the generators didnt power up. I had a good flashlight while other rechargeable XENON maglites died. I was constantly walking the main corridor checking on everyones status. My Led light did help alot. So for me runtime was a major factor. Now I carry a 18650 on my duty belt pouch for such an emergency. The main ones in my flashlight is RCR123A. The light I carry now is an Ultrafire 501B with clip modded with a R2 dropin and a dual contact switch with high and low.
We have the rechargable Xenon flashlight which are good for swaying a person but not good on runtime 1hr. Too big to carry around all the time esp when your too busy to pick one up.

My backup light has become my first choice to light up a subject so not to forego versatilty.:twothumbs

Rocketman

Enlightened
I don't know about the needs of a CO, but I know that when I choose my lights, I think about how long I am going to need them for. I usually subscribe to the "you can never have too much light" theory, but for a guy inside a prison, I would value burn time as much as brightness. The thought of being stuck deep inside a prison, where there's very little ambient light, and hundreds of people who would like to hurt me, I'd want a light that would burn for 12 hours or so, and I'd carry a spare set of batteries at all times. I had to spend a night in a county lock up for a youthful indescresion and it was the scariest thing I have ever been through. You couldn't pay me enough to be a CO. No freaking way.

Most of the inmates step out of my way.

I actually carry two lights, one for runtime and the other for brightness.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Work for IDOC and current job (and has been for awhile) is as O.I.C. of a dorm (we do not have cells).

I carry two lights. I have a Tiablo A8 that I keep on my belt. Low beam is bright enough to see what I want to see when doing nighttime searches around the dorm (hey, you get bored at night) and high gets used as a bounce off the high ceilings to do count. I figure there is no need to wake up 240 inmates to count so the ceiling bounce seems to do the least amount of disturbance.

I also carry a new Lumapower IncenDio as a backup light or when I'm in a situation that calls for just a little bit of light where I can use the IncenDio's low setting.

Bryan

Enlightened
I'm a C/O in California. Most officers I see carry a Stinger. I personally carry a G2 in a V70 holster. I have a glass lens, two AW R123's, and a DX drop in. It's great for lighting up the cell and for directing inmates during feeding. It's also great for waking them up during medicine rounds. However, I just found that it's too bright for late night count. You just don't need 100+ lumens to make sure an inmate is still alive in his bed. I have an E1E that I'm thinking of using with a KX1. Or perhaps I will try the ceiling bounce that BirdofPrey suggested.

I see quite a few other officers with the V70 holster and Z2's. I would bet they are using the P60 with standard Surefire cells. That is just too expensive to be using regularly. Plus, I don't think I would want that nice of a light in such a dirty environment. Now that I use my G2 to search cells, I will never use it around the house and it stays in a plastic bag with my duty belt when I'm off duty.

Rocketman

Enlightened
I'm a C/O in California. Most officers I see carry a Stinger. I personally carry a G2 in a V70 holster. I have a glass lens, two AW R123's, and a DX drop in. It's great for lighting up the cell and for directing inmates during feeding. It's also great for waking them up during medicine rounds. However, I just found that it's too bright for late night count. You just don't need 100+ lumens to make sure an inmate is still alive in his bed. I have an E1E that I'm thinking of using with a KX1. Or perhaps I will try the ceiling bounce that BirdofPrey suggested.

I see quite a few other officers with the V70 holster and Z2's. I would bet they are using the P60 with standard Surefire cells. That is just too expensive to be using regularly. Plus, I don't think I would want that nice of a light in such a dirty environment. Now that I use my G2 to search cells, I will never use it around the house and it stays in a plastic bag with my duty belt when I'm off duty.

I use my Scorpion led for special circumstances and my Inova bolt for counts and cell searches.

Now that I think about it, I should probably place all my gear in plastic bags also. But I won't...

I disagree with the 100+ lumens as being too bright. For the initial look-in I like to get a lot of light in the cell to see through the glare and see anything I need to see. It only lasts a few seconds, then it's on to the next cell. We call the door and circle back when we need to. I probably shouldn't be saying all this muahahahahaha.

Anyway, I want 150 to 200 lumens for signaling and special circumstances. Heck, I'm going to get a new light regardless.

The house I work on has 5 pods with about 60 cells in each pod and I do two counts each evening. Yes, I do use my lights.

To me, the 20USD I pay for 12 Streamlight 123's is not too much. That's $3.33 per pair. Well, I wish they were AA's.

iceman

Newly Enlightened
As a JCO here in WA state, I carry the new E2d LED on a V21 holster that rides well on my duty belt. I like the e2d LED because it is way BRIGHT, and I can always bring it with me when I'm off-duty:naughty:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can get good CR123s for $1 each(not including shipping) here. 5% off coupon at Battery Junction is "CPF2006".

Have you looked at Dereelight?

I'm guessing for looking into cells you'll need more of a flood beam then throwy beam, is that right?

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
San quentin here. I use an l1 with a diffuser for most tasks. I work the yard and have a surefire m6 in my lunchbag for getting inmates attention even when they are facing away. I also have a 6z with a kl3 in my bag for a loaner for officers that don't charge their stingers. when we have an incident at night it gets used a lot. our cells have security screens so when we do count sidespill gets reflected back. a narrow beam bounced off of the back of the cell makes it easier to see.

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
San quentin here. I use an l1 with a diffuser for most tasks. I work the yard and have a surefire m6 in my lunchbag for getting inmates attention even when they are facing away. I also have a 6z with a kl3 in my bag for a loaner for officers that don't charge their stingers. when we have an incident at night it gets used a lot. our cells have security screens so when we do count sidespill gets reflected back. a narrow beam bounced off of the back of the cell makes it easier to see.

Rocketman

Enlightened
You can get good CR123s for $1 each(not including shipping) here. 5% off coupon at Battery Junction is "CPF2006".

Have you looked at Dereelight?

I'm guessing for looking into cells you'll need more of a flood beam then throwy beam, is that right?

I suppose a flood beam would work best, haven't actually tried that. My led's have nice beams though.

I also must see in the crack where the door lock mechanism is because they jam stuff in the lock so they can open their own cell later, my scorpion is bright enough to do that when all the lights are on. Just recently learned that trick, the buggars were getting out...

Rocketman

Enlightened

Dude. An M6 will probably get me in trouble. More trouble, that is.

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
rocketman. I use the m6 outside where the upper yard is about 100 yards long. if there is an alarm in a cell block I'll bring it as they are also 100 yards in length and 5 tiers high.

Rocketman

Enlightened
I received my Surefire 6P led today, it is perfect.

Congratulations, Surefire, for a superb flashlight. After I play with it for awhile it will become my main duty light. Together with my Scorpion C4 led, I will be happy. For now.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you ever think you'll need anything brighter with the 6P, you can always get another P60 style LED drop-in.

I'm glad the light works well for you.