Dropbox (the newest way to share/store files)

KingSmono

Enlightened
Hey guys, if you have never heard of it, check out Dropbox. It's a great way to share files between computers... it creates a shared folder on your computer where you can drag/drop files, and they're automatically uploaded to a Dropbox server. Then from any other computer in the world you can access those files. You also get a URL for every file in your Dropbox folder, so you can send the link to someone and they can download the file. It's kind of like a super-easy FTP. Check out the video-demo in the link above, and send me a PM if you want a Beta Invitation. I think I have a few left. (Disclaimer... I'm in NO way shape or form associated with Dropbox... just thought some of you might like it, and I'd pass the word on.)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump. I'm sure there have been changes since the OP but I don't like multiple threads and KingSmono should get the credit. I don't work for Dropbox and I am not associated with them. It is pretty cool, I still have use for a flash drive, but this is a great tool for backup/sharing/frequent editing/etc. You basically have a folder that updates almost instantly and allows you to have files on multiple computers and phones without all the multiple drafts and re-saves. It also serves as a good backup.

Dropbox allows you to have your own private information that you keep private (but I would use TrueCrypt or something similar if you have data you must protect). You can create shared folders which you control who you share with. You have a public folder which provides a link to individual files, and gives access to non-dropbox users, which works great for big files that you can't attach in emails. There are some other features as well, with tutorials and explanations that make it very user friendly. You get 2 gigs free and can refer people to get up to 8 gigs free (or make some new emails and such to get more space). It is compatible with PC, Mac, and Linux. Pretty cool. I don't upload pics on CPF very often, but the Public folder might be very convenient for this.

Last edited: