Inova switch problems

outersquare

Enlightened
i am on my 2nd T2-MP, the switch gave out again, when you press the switch it only flashes on and off, first had similar problems.

not to mention when i tried an XO3, it also had a garbage switch, it would not come on all the time when you pressed it, same for an X5 i have at home.

I also have one of those hacked brinkmanns, it does not crap out, what the hell.

sawlight

Enlightened
Re: inova switches suck

Sorry to hear that! Really they seem to have been durable lights. A friend of mine has had one for 5ish years, X0 I think, wih no problems?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 2007 T3 switch was really flakey when I received it as well. I was told by someone here to press it on and off a bunch of times to see if that would cure it. I did this (60-70 times) and it started working again. (then I bought my first cree light the T3 has slept safely in my sock drawer ever since:)

I know you should not have to do anything to a new light to make it work... but if you have a few minutes....try clicking it on and off 50-60 times... it might just break in the switch.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
now thats common, with very little use they get much play.
Not really to notice in the stock setup, but I have some T1s modded with Flupic and here the circuit likes to switch to mode level #2 when the switch has "worked in".

With every modded Inova T, I immediately remove the original one and put one that was meant for a Streamlight Scorpion inside. Does not need too much work and works good.

Too bad the wobby, tiny internal parts of the Inova switch cant stand the same abuse as the rest of the lights.

outersquare

Enlightened

well the ones i have that work, work fine, (t1, another x5),
but fool me once shame on you, fool me four more times. . .

even if i could fiddle with it and break it in, i wouldn't have confidence in it. i mean this is marketed as a "military and police" product.

Buffalohump

Enlightened

My X5 switch is sweet.

The XO2 I have though is too stiff to activate with one hand, so I just use the twisty mode.

Annoying, yes.

On the plus side the X02 has an incredible beam with a lovely snow white tint :)

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
Inova X1 failed

Is there a common failure mode for an X1? My 4 year old dropped my X1 (gen 2 with nichia 5mm) and it no longer works, even with another light's tailcap.

I tossed a Infinity Ultra not knowing I could have done the "screwdriver mod".

Thanks,
Steven

Cydonia

Enlightened
Re: Inova X1 failed

Others have reported this before and said they got it working again by doing this:

The battery "piston" inside the light - there is a contact terminal where the "+" of the AA cell contacts - can get depressed by an impact. If you look inside the light carefully, maybe you can pick out this metal contact terminal with a screwdriver, so that it contacts the AA cell again. Basically, the drop might have caused this part to get "punched" down lower so that the battery can't contact it anymore.

IMHO this seems to be the #1 cause of Inova X1 Gen 2 malfunction - a mechanical contact issue from dropping.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

The second biggest cause of failure is the few threads it has wearing out to the point where the tailcap doesn't stay on. This happened to my gen. 2 X1.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try a rayovac Maximum alkaline. These have deeper contacts and are the only batteries that will work in my oft-dropped X1.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another failure mode is for the inductor to pop off the circuit board. No real easy fix for that.

You can always use the freeze pop method to open it up. Fill it full of water and stick it in the freezer. As the ice expands it will pop the head out. May take more than one cycle. At least its something more fun to do than throwing in the trash.

Inova will send you a v3 warranty replacement if its worth your time and shipping. Fenix E01 is cheaper, brighter, smaller, more durable and runs longer though.

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened

Try a rayovac Maximum alkaline. These have deeper contacts and are the only batteries that will work in my oft-dropped X1.
The force is strong with Yoda.

I put a small spring in the positive end, put in a battery, and it fired right up. I will either need to use a battery with a large "nipple" or find a magnet that will fit on the tip of any battery.

outersquare

Enlightened
batteryjunction took care of me, they were very professional about the whole thing.

i never figured it out, the switch just didn't feel right anymore, it felt like something was wobbly inside.

i have a T1 and bought T1s as gifts for family, never had this problem. I suspect the T2 being a smaller body also means smaller and weaker switch internals.

i might just buy a surefire defender now, either that or a bulletproof vest, trying to decide.