Can we talk about alcoholic beverages?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is appropriate...but i'm gonna ask it anyway.

I'm a 21 year old damnit!

I've been a good citizen so far and have waited till i am of legal age to start drinking alcohol ...no matter how small the amount. And even when i turned 21 (May of last year) i was never really fond of drinking.

I do drink however, only with friends and ONLY if i'm in the mood. It seems like a majority of my friends who started drinking before they were 21 either 1)loved alcohol with a passion or 2) started drinking because everyone was doing it.

The type of drinking i'm talking about, of course, is social drinking...not leasure drinking. I don't pop a beer open when i feel like it because...i don't really like drinking.

ANYWAY, there are times when i'm at a party with really good friends, or people i'm comfortable with, that i could start drinking with. In the short time i've been 21 i could say what i like and what i don't like. I've never drank myself **** drunk and puked all over the place, but i can automatically tell that that is one think i wouldn't enjoy.

I do know that i don't like beer all that much. There are some beers that i like, in particular Guinness, not the extra stout stuff...but the regular stuff. I always get odd looks when i request for it. I guess not too many people like the dark beers. I don't like the mainstream Budwiser, Caronas, or even the new fruity stuff. Pobably the only beer i would tolerate is MGD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do like some of the hard stuff. Oddly, i rather enjoy Tequila, some Bacardi flavors, and some Rum (ever heard of Tanduay?).

I wouldn't know the first thing about good wines and Champaigns but i do know, if i could afford to bring that to parties...it would be the only thing i would drink. I find them to be more fulfilling that bear and less potent than the hard stuff. I had my first glass of Don Parignon, and i enjoyed it. I didn't buy it however. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, i hope that this topic doesn't offend anyone or agrivates any moderators...but i will understand if this thread is locked. Mind you, that i still believe in the introductory paragraph that i wrote. I detest underage drinking, even though i know of friends and family who've done it. I will tell any underage people not to drink at parties...but if they want to anyway...then so be it and risk the chance of getting arrested.

So...what do you prefer? Beer or the hard stuff?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can we talk about alcaholic beverages?

I turned 21 last year, and will be 22 in May. When I turned 21, it was better than all the years before it.
I like beer, the lighter colored ones. I can't stand the darker beers. I know there is a name for it, Lager? But my favorite hard drink or mixed drink is : Adios MF Fav beer: Corona and MGD.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just FYI, it is spelled Alcohol and Beer!

Man, I could talk forever on this subject, but not tonight!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I usually drink something called a "007" when I go out.
Equal parts vodka, orange juice, and 7-up in a large glass with ice. It's like a screwdriver, except it's a bit fizzy. (Asking for a "fizzy screw" sometimes results in this drink being served).

Four or five of these, and you're pretty much ready to go home - unless you enjoy getting hammered, barfing, getting kicked out of bars, kicking toliets off the wall, and all that horse puckey. If so, go ahead and have four or five more of these if the bartender will serve them to you. :-\

I don't drink at home except for New Year's day - I might have mimosas (champagne and orange juice together) then.

I tend to avoid beer because it makes you pee too much, and a few places I go to I can't fit a scooter or electric wheelchair in their restrooms. (but that's one reason why I carry a folding cane on the back of my seat). I used to drink beer by the pitcher before getting the wheelchair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like Gin and Tonics (but only with really good Gin) and Black and Tan's which are half Harp half Guinness. If they make it properly the Harp will float on top of the heavier Guinness.

Yummy.

I would much rather drink one really expensive and good beer or gin and tonic rather than a dozen of cheap nasty ones. Unfortunately, in some places you can't get a good beer, so I'll have none at all then.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
There are some beers that i like, in particular Guinness, not the extra stout stuff...but the regular stuff. I always get odd looks when i request for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

MY LONG LOST SON!!!! Guinness Draught in a bottle... the one with the rocket widget! Screw the odd looks... that stuff is GOOD!! It's all that I drink...
yum.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
There are some beers that i like, in particular Guinness, not the extra stout stuff...but the regular stuff. I always get odd looks when i request for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FINALLY...someone that likes Guinness. None of my friends like it.

...wanna be my new friend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey James S, I'll have to look into that recipe..sounds good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in the minority here.

Beer makes me throw up, literally... For some odd reason, I can't stand it at all. And I get migraines when I try to drink it. When I turned 21 a couple of years ago, my friends brought me to Red Lobster, of all places, and ordered me an alotta colloda and some other fruity drink. They'd figure I can start out with a designer drink (girl drink, if you will).

Well, I spent that night at the emergency room after drinking the colloda and the fruity drink. I literally passed out. Mind you, this was my "virgin" drink. To this day, I still don't remember what happened that night. My friends still laugh at me getting dead drunk over collada, of all things. My drunken actions and words that night were deemed "legendary"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I'd hate to see what happens to me when I get a load of some Everclear...

Brotherscrim

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Guinness Draught in a bottle... the one with the rocket widget! Screw the odd looks... that stuff is GOOD!! It's all that I drink...
yum.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll drink to that! (kicks back 4th bottle of the day...)

2dogs

Enlightened

LEDa swing by http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB35 some time and join in the discussion. It sounds to me as you are using your head regarding drinking alcohol. There are way too many drunks and way, way too many under age drinkers in my part of California. But be warned over consumtion of alcohol can happen to anyone. If it happens to you call a cab or ask for a ride and chalk the night up to experience. Don't let your friends sway your good judgement with their bad.

Oh, and learn how to make a good Martini.
http://www.bombaysaphire.com/

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

2dogs,

Thanks for the comments and tips. Drunk people in a knife forum doesn't sound to good though....just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Anyway, i'm usually never the driver for the nights i drink. But if i am, i make it a point to stop drinking 2 hours before i plan to leave and i never consume more than 3 beers that night. If I do, i make sure i don't drink many hours before i plan on driving again. There are TOO MANY under age drinkers in San Diego too! If and when i become a cop, it would pain me to bust or punish underage family and friends for drinking, but if means that it will stop them from making bad decisions, then it is an action that i am willing to enforce....but this is another topic.

As for martinis....the first bar i was taken to on my birthday was a Martini bar. Very up-scale, mellow, and jazzy. But i didn't like the Martinis...they are vodka drinks right? I didn't like them too much...they tasted a little too strong for my taste. I didn't watch how they made it, but i don't think they made it very well.

Maybe if someone were to make them correctly i can add Martinis to my list.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Falcon, sounds like to me that you might have eaten the Salmon Mouse which caused you more problems than the drink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

EDIT: THe Salmon Mouse? Thats perhaps my best typo ever. It's so good I'm not even going to fix it...

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah...Falcon, you might have an alergic reaction to alcohol.

Is it just beer that you cannot tolerate? Can you tolerate other drinks?

Anyway...you aren't missing much. At the end of the day, or night, i usually think to myself that the night could have been just as fun without a drink.

...although, i am a very shy person, and a few drinks usually loosens me up to get the ladies...hey Sasha...how you 'doin? (in the voice of Joey from Friends.)

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heh. I think I had the Ultimate Feast that night. But I'm pretty sure it's the alcohol that did it for me, because a couple of days later, I took down a shot of Peppermint Schnapps and blurred out for a few minutes...

Heh. If I can get drunk off of Listerine and Nyquil, you know there's something wrong...

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I drink 3-4 Scotch on the rocks and about 4-6 beers a year. This has been my standard consumption level for about 7 years since leaving the military. I drank a river of beer on active duty. We all drank to excess especially when overseas. I usually have two drinks when I drink but it has really lost it's appeal for the most part. I used to get a bottle of booze from a student when they passed a check flight in the military. It was called, "a bottle hop." We all wanted the bottle hops but when you run the schedules dept. it ensures you get at least your fair share. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have sooo many unopened bottles of booze. I was reminded of this when I saw Bombay Saphire in the previous post, it is a very pretty bottle. I have everything from Gins to Tequila and many bottles of good scotch and bourbon. I guess I have a question, does booze go bad? I figured the Liqueurs went bad so I gave those away. We had dinner party a year ago and I opened 3-4 bottles but I was the only one to have a drink everyone else had wine or champagne, will those bottles go bad? Some of these bottles are 10 years old, where did the years go?

Greta

Flashaholic

Martinis made with absolute mandarin... Mandarini... I've gotten a little tipsey on those... uh-huh..
drunk.gif

Scrimmy... if I weren't doing this whole Weight Watchers thing right now, I figure I'd be popping open my third about now...
beerchug.gif
CHEERS!

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
hey Sasha...how you 'doin? (in the voice of Joey from Friends.)

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif ... I grew up in upstate NY... you have no idea how many times I've heard that accent... saying those words... LOL!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

And it was for real too huh? Here in California...you can only imagine how badly we do a NY accent. My best accent is probably in writing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Ok... who here could drink legally at 18?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know that you could be 15 or 16 in the Philippines and drink without being carded. I went there over the summer and my cousins laughed at me when i freaked when i saw them drinking. They're only 15..sheesh!