Surefire L4 Bezel Down Pocket Clip

cybertek03

Newly Enlightened
Hi

New guy here...

I have a Surefire E1B (backup) and like the bezel down pocket clip. It allows me to carry the light discretely.

Has anyone figured out a way to carry the L4 bezel down? Any custom pocket clips available?

Thanks

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Hi

New guy here...

I have a Surefire E1B (backup) and like the bezel down pocket clip. It allows me to carry the light discretely.

Has anyone figured out a way to carry the L4 bezel down? Any custom pocket clips available?

Thanks

Welcome to CPF cybertek03. As you can see by the number of posts, I'm a little new myself. Someone who knows for sure may chime in, but I beleive the stock E1B clip will fit the L4 body, no modifications. You could search the forums for another detailed procedure on changing the clip, but here is my version to follow at your own risk:

1. Remove the head.
2. Remover the o-ring carefully (use something like a toothpic to seperate it from the body - nothing sharp).
3. Note the placement of the plastic shim under where the clip attaches to the body so you can replace it correctly.
4. Place a string or lanyard under the clip so that you are able to pull the clip off the front of the body. Pull clip off in an area where the shim cannot fly too far so that you won't lose it when the clip releases suddenly.
5. Place the shim and desired clip toghether and slide into place. This can be somewhat difficult so make sure the shim and clip are properly alingned with the slot and remain straight until slid completely into place.
6. Replace the o-ring. Ensure that the clip is not interfering with the o-ring.
7. Replace the head.

I don't like to remove and install these clips more than necessary, so I wouldn't even try the clip from your E1B. I'd just wait until you can come by another E1B clip.

hope this helps,

bezel

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Ya know, I just had another thought. You may want to make sure that once installed, the E1B clip has the proper dimensions to position your L4 like you want it. The L4 has a longer body so the tail end will protrude up more with bezel-down carry...

bezel

cybertek03

Newly Enlightened
Thanks bezel. I thought about the E1B clip as well but when I held it up to the L4 the body would stick out of my pocket about 1.5". If I could get a clip like that but longer it would work fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

bezel

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any more ideas for the clip you are looking for. If it is the bright flood you are after, you could get similar results with your E1B and an F04 Beam Diffuser. But, it wouldn't be quite as bright and would have even less throw than the L4. Don't know if you have ever tried one but they fit securely and provide a nice even light for closeup work. You'd get decent flood and throw out of one small light.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can move the KL4 head over to your E1B body and use it like that. You'll get a brighter light if you use an RCR123 3.7 v rechargeable, but it will still work with one regular CR123 battery.

The E1B head won't work on your L4 body, though. The voltage will be too high and you'll get a strobing effect, if it even turns on.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
With the standard 1" Surefire body, you would have the option of attaching a clip between the body and the tailcap or body and the head. With the E seies lights, the o-ring barely gets covered with the head tightened down all the way so that is out. Also, the way the tail cap makes contact on the E series lights probably eliminates that as a possibility. So, I would think that your remaining options boil down to something that attaches like the stock clip or something that attaches around the outside of the body or tailcap pen-light style. The OD of the L4 body is ~3/4 inch so if you could find something that fits around the body, it may work. Or, pay someone to custom-make a longer version of the E1B Clip.

bezel

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the standard 1" Surefire body, you would have the option of attaching a clip between the body and the tailcap or body and the head. With the E seies lights, the o-ring barely gets covered with the head tightened down all the way so that is out. Also, the way the tail cap makes contact on the E series lights probably eliminates that as a possibility. So, I would think that your remaining options boil down to something that attaches like the stock clip or something that attaches around the outside of the body or tailcap pen-light style. The OD of the L4 body is ~3/4 inch so if you could find something that fits around the body, it may work. Or, pay someone to custom-make a longer version of the E1B Clip.

bezel
Over the years, many custom clips that look like the E1B clip have been sold for for the HDS. Maybe one of those custom makers could hook you up.

thegeek

Enlightened
You could go with the vital gear body through SupremeCo. There might be other dealers that carry it, but they have a 1,2 or 3 cell option, all bezel down style. The 2 cell option specifically says compatible with KL4. FWIW.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
You could go with the vital gear body through SupremeCo. There might be other dealers that carry it, but they have a 1,2 or 3 cell option, all bezel down style. The 2 cell option specifically says compatible with KL4. FWIW.

A good idea. I seem to remember the clip being attached pretty close to the tail of the light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Have you actually tried this? I called SF the other day and they told me the E1B clip wasn't interchangeable with the other clips. :shrug:

Welcome to CPF cybertek03. As you can see by the number of posts, I'm a little new myself. Someone who knows for sure may chime in, but I beleive the stock E1B clip will fit the L4 body, no modifications. You could search the forums for another detailed procedure on changing the clip, but here is my version to follow at your own risk:

1. Remove the head.
2. Remover the o-ring carefully (use something like a toothpic to seperate it from the body - nothing sharp).
3. Note the placement of the plastic shim under where the clip attaches to the body so you can replace it correctly.
4. Place a string or lanyard under the clip so that you are able to pull the clip off the front of the body. Pull clip off in an area where the shim cannot fly too far so that you won't lose it when the clip releases suddenly.
5. Place the shim and desired clip toghether and slide into place. This can be somewhat difficult so make sure the shim and clip are properly alingned with the slot and remain straight until slid completely into place.
6. Replace the o-ring. Ensure that the clip is not interfering with the o-ring.
7. Replace the head.

I don't like to remove and install these clips more than necessary, so I wouldn't even try the clip from your E1B. I'd just wait until you can come by another E1B clip.

hope this helps,

bezel

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the clips are interchangeable. I think SF just doesn't want everyone and their mom calling to request the new reverse clip for the E1e's! haha.

Clarification: The E1B clip will go into any of the E-series slots...but the old clips won't fit into the E1B slot, not easily, anyway.

e1l-bk_e1b-kx2.jpg

ml-1x_reverse_clip.jpg

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Have you actually tried this? I called SF the other day and they told me the E1B clip wasn't interchangeable with the other clips. :shrug:

I tried it, and the E1B's clip wouldn't fit the E1L's pocket. I could have made it fit with some filing. :shrug:

Larry

bezel

Newly Enlightened

I'm glad others chimed in because I havn't tried with the E1B clip, but was aware of others who had done it before posting.
I have interchanged the standard short and long clips several times, and sometimes they fit TIGHT (why I said try at own risk).
Those lacking strong hands or mechanical inclination probably shouldn't attempt in my opinion...

bezel

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning

Did you find a way to carry the L4 bezel down? I'm asking because I'm looking for a solution to carry an E1E bezel down.

Kind regards,
HP