Fenix P2D pairs with 3xCR123 body?

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I recently bought a Fenix P2D that comes with 180 Lumens Premium Q5 head. What a flashlight! Only shortcoming, it uses one CR123A battery and it doesn't last long.

Then I saw this Fenix 3xCR123 body on the net. Can I use that body with my P2D Premium Q5 head?

Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Den.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, the 3xCR123 body is for the P3D. Attempting to run that many cells on the P2D will let the magic smoke out.

:welcome:

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Marduke for the quick reply.

I was curious because on my P2D head, it just says Premium Q5 on one side, CA840652 on the other. It makes me suspect this is the newest version, and that Fenix might decide to use the same head for all PxD flashlights. It does produce a brighter beam than my L2D which uses two AA batteries.

It will be great if I just have to buy the 3x123 body instead a whole new P3D plus the extra body.

Thanks again.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What version L2D do you have? The P2D Q5 head is supposedly the same as the L1D Q5 which is the same as the L2D Q5 head.

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Oh, my L2D is an older version, non-Q5. That's why.

That begs my question: are the Q5 premium heads the same on all Fenix flashlights? How is P3D's Q5 head differed from P2D's Q5, the digital circuitry?

I hope I found this forum sooner.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi compgeek :welcome:

The L1D, L2D, and P2D all use the same driver(same exact heads, just different printing). It's a boost circuit.

The P3D uses a buck circuit(bucks the extra voltage).

If you use a fully charged RCR123(4.2v) in the P2D you will lose the lower modes(low,med, and high) because the light goes into direct drive above ~3.3v.

If you use 3 CR123s(RCR123s) with a P2D (L1D,L2D) head, you will fry the light:poof:. You can safely use the P3D head in this configuration though.

Last edited:

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Nice to learn something new everyday.

Thanks Steve.

I guess my dilemma now is whether I should go for the 2x123 tactical or the 3x123 when I order my P3D :D.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
Compgeek, hello.

I bought the 3x123 Tactical Body for my P3D. I run 17500's in it. With this set-up the Li-on cells seem to last an extremely long time in between chargings. Hope this helps.

H.D.T. - Happy Dark Trails

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for eveyone's welcome, input and advice.

After reading your responses, I went ahead and ordered a P3D plus 3x123 body!

Can't wait to get the cool and hot combo in my hand. :D:D

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
T10?

With the flashlights I got already, my girlfriend would think I were seeing someone else sneaking out late at night! :whoopin:

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Finally got my P3D + 3x123 body. Our Canadian Customs are understaffed, especially now the Canadian $ is so strong and online shoppers are crawling all over the place.

First, it's the L2D. Then, the P2D. Now this kick-butt combo! :thumbsup: If it gets any better, I will have to join the Flashlight Anonymous.

Only problem: it doesn't light up with 3.6v Ultrafire Protected batteries, doesn't matter if it's 2 or 3. Unprotected batteries are fine.

Anyway, I was wondering... Can I use a 18650 plus a CR123 together in the 3x123? It should satisfy both the dimension and voltage requirement, right? I don't have any 18650 battery so I can't test.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Dennis.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the Ultrafires is that they are too long, not excessive voltage(P3D has been tested up to 16v). With the batteries inserted and the tailcap off you will notice the batteries stick out past the end of the battery tube. When you screw the cap down the shiny end of the battery tube has to make contact with the inside bottom of the tailcap. To test jump the negative end of the battery to the shiny end of the battery tube, it will light up.

Do not use an 18650 with a RCR123. With the different capacities the RCR123 will drain first and the 18650 will try to reverse charge it causing a potentially dangerous situation.

Two Ultafires won't work in my P3D either because they are just too long. If you unscrew the head until the batteries are no longer sticking out, it will work. But then you can't get turbo mode and if you try to fully tighten the head you will damage the batteries or driver.

AW's RCR123s work fine(shorter) and are much better quality than the Fire brands(Trustfire, Ultafire). I've tried them all.

Last edited:

compgeek

Newly Enlightened
Steve, thanks.

I didn't know there was such length difference between protected and unprotected batteries, at least in some brandnames. That is, until I bought them. Lucky it's not an expensive experience.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dennis, Your Welcome.

The kicker is the AW RCR123 are protected too(and very good protection to boot). You can get them from AW himself. Lighthound and Fenix-Store also sell them.
Steve

Last edited: