Can the Fenix L1T/L2T handle a 14500 LiIon?

harddrive

Enlightened
Question relates to the RB80 version of the L1T/L2T (or the new Q2 version I suppose)

Obviously the head can handle 3V from 2 x AA. Can it handle the 4.2V of a fresh 14500? Not worried about loosing low mode, just interested in MAX brightness from that light.

Thanks

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The added voltage will overdrive it such that both levels will be brighter and Low will most likely be just as bright as high. The L2T likes 3V and no more for low, but since you don't care about that, it most likely will live, but nobody will guarantee it. It drives the LED hard in Direct Drive and could damage it over time.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody used a L1Tv2.0 RB80 with a LiFePO4? Since the voltage is lower (3.2v), maybe that would work well to retain the low level? I was contemplating getting a 14500 LiFePO4 if there are any to be had.

TexLite

Enlightened
Max input voltage is 4.0v on the L1T/L2T v2.0

As has been stated the low is not low.

There is a thread somewhere on this,but search is disabled right now.I'll try to find it elsewhere.

Michael

Landemoo

Newly Enlightened
I have been using an L1Tv2.0 RB80 with - first - a 14500, and, later, after getting a P2D body and tailcap and an RCR123a, with - thus far, as far as I can see - no ill effect.

As others have said, there's no low, but a high and a turbo mode. This is also what I prefer, so for me it is a perfect EDC. It now rides in an AJC Concealco leather holster on my left hip.

It seems as the most common problem with the LxTv2.0 RB80 is the forward clickie - that I prefer to use - that seems to fail for many users. I dismatled the tailcap and soaked the switch with gun oil. For about a week or so, the light flickered quite a bit, so I wondered if I did the right thing, but after that it seems to have recovered, and now functions smooth and without any problems.

About two weeks ago, I ordered an L1Tv2.0 Q2, a P2D body and tailcap from FenixStore, to keep as a spare, as I like this configuration very much. Haven't received it yet, though, but that might have to do with a cross-antlantic shipping, customs, front wind, or whatever ... :)

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Cree version may be more tolerant of the high voltage from the 14500 than the Rebel, but still not the best idea to use 'em.

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I've used 3v rcr123a cells w/ the original L1T using the 123a body for quite a while to no ill affect. I believe that version used the luxeon so I doubt the newer versions would have a problem. I've used a 14500 for < 1 hour, no obvious problem there either, but I'd rather not loose the two levels the L1T has. It's still one of my favorite lights.

Rat6P

Enlightened
When I had a L1T I used those 3v AA lithiums. They worked perfectly! And since only 3v are well within the voltage range.
Sometimes u can get those CRV3 camera batteries for quite cheap. They are basically 2 aa cells side by side and wrapped up in a bit of a casing.
A pair of pliers and some tlc takes care of that.
One thing to watch out for is you want the battery pack made in JAPAN!...this pack is actually 2x AA cells in a parrallel setup( you want these ones)
Packs made in other countries are usually 2x 1.5v AA'a in a series setup :\

With these 3v batts its obviosly much brighter...in both levels.....but there is still a huge and distinct difference between the 2 levels....

of course, unfortunately they are not rechargeable..