Ok to use drained batteries in L1D?

Gado

Newly Enlightened
I have an L1D and I found some alkaline batteries in a drawer. None of them have leaked. I was wondering if it is ok to used them since they dont work in other electronics around the house.

Exp Voltage
1.Mar 08 1.26
2.Mar 08 1.26
3.Mar 08 1.29
4.2009 1.24
5.Mar 08 1.36
6.Mar 08 1.35
7.Mar 10 1.45
8.Mar 11 1.49
9.Mar 12 1.24
10.Mar 12 1.24

Thanks

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bear in mind that alkaline batteries tend to leak at the end of their useful life. However, being a single cell light, the chance of this is greatly reduced.

Use them to the point where you cannot dstinguish between low and high mode, and then dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way. Get some Eneloop AAs and a decent charger to power your L1D from now on. That is a very good investment indeed.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Gado.
I agree with MikeSalt. If you put a run down battery in use it fairly soon, don't let it sit for too long as they may leak eventually. His suggestion of Eneloop AA rechargeables is a good idea IMHO.

Gado

Newly Enlightened
Well the first 6 couldn't switch to a higher mode then low so I'm using number 7 right now.

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the Eneloop advise. I bought four and carry one in my jetbeam and a spare with it in my left pocket at all times, occasionally trading off with two hot from the charger. I always have plenty of power and light. A wise investment I must say. I used to use Energizers and soon the Eneloops will have paid for themselves and they perform better than the Energizers.
:twothumbs

mighty82

Enlightened
Even a fresh alkaline can only keep the L1D running in high mode for a few minutes. Only NiMh or lithium's can handle the current draw of the L1D. Alkalines are just for emergency use.

Gado

Newly Enlightened
I normally use energizer 2500s, I thought I might as well make the most of the used up alkalines. When I first got the energizer 2500 they work great, they still do work great. They work great in the Wii controllers I have and in the L1D. But those are not as old as some of the other ones I have. Those older ones are used in my RC transmitter (10 of them). The transmitter has a voltmeter built in it and it used to read 14.2 volts off the charger and now it peaks around 13 volts off the charger. It gets to around 8.5 volts after a week! I even tried leaving the batteries out of the transmitter. When my good energizer 2500s need replacing I will defiantly go with eneloop.