High Powered AAA shootout(KD Bukle V4 aka. Tough, SL Microstream,L0D Q4, Jet-u, LF2X)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
all due respect to the original high Powered AAA shootout thread, here is an updated one..:)

the candidates
DSC00679.jpg

i apologise for the really bad photography, all with cell camera, alot of my previous review pictures were from friend's DSLRs, but taken by me.

so the candidates are:
Streamlight Microstream
KD Buckle ight V4 aka. Tough
Fenix L0D Q4
Jet-u
LF2X

this is pretty close to the wall. all running at max on AAA
alllf2xaaa.jpg

Interesting note, the Microstream actually has a more intense hotspot then the L0D, looks like that with my eyes too. The KD Tough is looking every bit its 100+ bulbs lumens.

about 1.5 meters from the wall.

allfarlf2xAAA.jpg

similar, except the Jet-u has all but disappeared! its very much a spill light, but still, i would say all these lights have plenty of spill.

same, but the Lf2X is running on 10440s, it is, by the way, the only light here manufacturor apporved to run on Li-ons

alllf2x10440.jpg

same, but further from the wall

allfarlf2x10440.jpg

these are the lowest of the lights that are multi level. the LF2x reduces just about to a very similar level with either 10440s or AAAs.

lowestofthelow.jpg

and now...the burning question, L0D on 10440s, risk blowing it, or LF2X on 10440s?

10440L0DLf2x.jpg

you decide :D

thank you for watching, please tune in to next thread's episode, the Tiablo vs the KD Kit 1 mag aspheric...

Crenshaw

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison!

except for the last few shots of the LF2X, they were running on alkalines, right? or was it NiMh?

Any chance of a Tiablo MA1 arriving for inclusion? Seems to be one of the best, and brags stats as high as the rest included.

harddrive

Enlightened
Thanks Crenshaw

Are you the first here with the V4 Buckle light? What do you think of it overall (build quality, brightness etc)?

I'm thinking of ordering but wanted to wait for some reviews first.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came to the light,yes all alkalines,energizer max AAA, i dont have that many AAA lithiums lying around, thier expensive!

Nope sorry i never found the appeal in the Tiablo MA1, i wanted to, but then reports came in that it was in the area of 45+ lumens...so i skipped it, anyway i highly doubt thats its brighter then the LF2X, seriously, the LF2X holds very well against my NDI even!

bltkmt, im not really sure, X5 Buckle light? but this is the one that Jerry just recently announced, the Version 4 of the Bucklelight, the announcement thread is over at MP :)

as for the Buckle light itself...get this, i have NO light that has SMOOTHER threads at the moment. Both the inside of the head and the body threads are anodized. Very very very smooth threads, so much so that it might be a problem with the light turning on in the pocket. Its also VERY bright, i would believe it if told it was in excess of 100 lumens. Build quality is preetty damn good too, its knurling makes it look alot like an ARC-AA if you ask me, except that its not HAIII and its not as grippy, but twice it rolled of the table in those pictures, not a mark on it yet. I actually regretted buying it at first, but when it arrived, i was very very happy that i did buy it. :)
only thing, is its a SMO reflector, so its got quite a fair amount of ringy-ness in the beam, but it wont affect normal usage.

Crenshaw

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love that floody goodness of the Jet-u. Thanks for the shots, Crenshaw. They're not bad for a camera phone. Did you have a tripod for your phone, or fairly steady hands? :p

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
bltkmt, its the Q5 :)

swxb12, yes actually i really like the Jet-u, its lights up a huge area, i only wish they continued making them, and updated the emitter, i love the form factor.

No tripod, hands only..:) but the "shutter" time was very short..

Crenshaw

cv3po

Banned
The Microstream competes suprisingly well here. It has that nice bright/tight hotspot for good distance but still alot of spill for up close work. Plus mine gets 2.5 hours steady from an alkie and they have a forward tail clickie. Good stuff for $15.00!

Fird

Enlightened
The Microstream competes suprisingly well here. It has that nice bright/tight hotspot for good distance but still alot of spill for up close work. Plus mine gets 2.5 hours steady from an alkie and they have a forward tail clickie. Good stuff for $15.00!

Is the microstream a cree Device, or older technology?

Fird

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
cool- I just ordered the lod, hopefully I'll have one that can handle the 10440's. The v4 looks awesome, and I think it is cheap- 20 bucks? but I'm a rechargable aaa man, so the v4 be a gift only light. the liteflux looks like the ideal keychain if you can handle the length- a low low and high high. plus can do 10440's. around 60 bucks though.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
Could you please compare the lights all using eneloops? I am specifically interested in knowing the performance of L0D on High with eneloop vs KDV4 with eneloop vs LF2X on High also with eneloop. Also, I am interested in the same comparison only with all the lights having alkalines in them. Thanks in advance.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I am interested in the same comparison only with all the lights having alkalines in them.

The photos from using fresh alkalines will probably be pretty much the same. The only difference would be the runtime/output chart. It's going to take a nose dive much, much sooner than NiMH/Lithium.

cv3po

Banned
Is the microstream a cree Device, or older technology?
Fird

It actually uses a Seoul emitter. The search function is down right now but I'll link to a post by Streamlight when it's back up.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
cv3po, yes i am actually evry surprised by the Microstream too, i bought it specifically as a clicky body for the L0D, but its pretty darn good on its own too!, thier all sitting in my flashlight case now though, my LF2X is quickly becoming the most used flashlight i have. But i was under the impression that the Microstream used Luxeons?

David Gretzmier, the thing about the L0D is that its gets really really hot with 10440s quite fast, and also, youre voiding the warrenty. It seems to work fine, just dont run it for overly-long periods of time on the 10440s.As for the V4, i dare you to get one as a gift, and not feel the need to have one in your own stash "just cos" :nana: you can use NiMh reachargables with it, and although its not rated with 10440s , it might run on them, but im not risking 20$ to find out.

Notsure Fire, sorry i dont have eneloops atm, and i doubt i will ever get any,cos i will be buying a set of Maha charger+ 8 powerex Imedion for my ROP next month with my next pay..as i really cannot spend anything beyond daily neceesities for the rest of this month. :) ill update this when i get them

swxb12, actually i do wonder, does the 0.3 difference in voltage make a difference?

Crenshaw

Last edited:

gerry45

Newly Enlightened
cool- I just ordered the lod, hopefully I'll have one that can handle the 10440's. The v4 looks awesome, and I think it is cheap- 20 bucks? but I'm a rechargable aaa man, so the v4 be a gift only light. the liteflux looks like the ideal keychain if you can handle the length- a low low and high high. plus can do 10440's. around 60 bucks though.

Hi David,

For my part, the L0D is one of the best Fenix model for running on 3.7v. Every mode is working flawlessly. OK running a little hot on high after 10 min.

Does non-10440 L0D exists?

I feed my 2 x V3 with rechargeables Eneloop. This flashlight is brighter on rechargeables.

Why do you want to gift them?

Erick

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
so what's the conclusion? Is the L0D the winner?

I ask in regards to using AAA only - alkaline or Nimh only.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
conclusion is decide for yourself, in terms of overall output, the L0D still comes behind the KD V4 and the LF2X on Alks...:)

i am carrying the LF2X everyday now..

Crenshaw