Yellow G2L is different from Black G2L!?!?

umc

Enlightened
Hey all, I finally received my Yellow G2L's today, originally I was sent regular G2's and then the re-shipment got lost with UPS but they showed up today.:twothumbs

Anyway, I took one of the new Yellow G2L's out of the package to look at and use and noticed that the lens looked like it had grease smeared on it, I wiped it and nothing, hmmm. The lens is opaque or frosted if you will, I thought this was weird. I checked a Black G2L and it was clear as clear could be.

Upon further inspection I noticed that the Yellow G2L had a smooth reflector where is the Black ones have an orange peel reflector. I figure that the smooth reflector and opaque lens have something to do with one another. Maybe it's to diffuse any rings that the smooth reflector may create?

I wonder why the difference between the two as far as Black and Yellow goes as I could swap the P60L between lights but may not want to now and will have to pay attention to which goes with which.

Any idea why the difference?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe they are designed differently. It most likey is a modification made at the production line. I have 2 P60L modules. The first one I got is definitely a better thrower than the one I purchased 4 months later. The later was smoother with a much broader hot spot.

umc

Enlightened
I don't believe they are designed differently. It most likey is a modification made at the production line. I have 2 P60L modules. The first one I got is definitely a better thrower than the one I purchased 4 months later. The later was smoother with a much broader hot spot.

Is one a smooth reflector and the other an OP? If so which one is the better thrower? I'm assuming the smooth reflector which would indicate that the two new lights I just received may have been sitting around for a bit..

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Try the G2L drop in with a black G2L bezel. That should throw further, but you might notice artifacts. I think that over time SF is getting better emitters, though I don't know how you could improve the Seoul P4, unless there is tint variation. The yellow G2L is using the Seoul P4, right?

Bill

umc

Enlightened
Try the G2L drop in with a black G2L bezel. That should throw further, but you might notice artifacts. I think that over time SF is getting better emitters, though I don't know how you could improve the Seoul P4, unless there is tint variation. The yellow G2L is using the Seoul P4, right?

Bill

Just to clarify, the Yellow G2L I have has a smooth reflector and the Black one as the OP reflector. Which one is "newer"?

Is there a way I could tell if the yellow G2L is using a Seoul P4?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the means to post pictures but the module with more throw does appear to be smoother. The hotspot is tighter and the beam is ringy.

Perhaps Al can enlighten us?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF recently made some modifications to the G2L line. The ones with the smooth reflector and frosted lens are the newer designs.

umc

Enlightened
Pics:

large.jpg

The OP one on the left in this pic is actually out of the black G2L the smooth reflector is out of the yellow
large.jpg

large.jpg

Aussie Cheese

Newly Enlightened
you may or may not have noticed, but the:

older p60l(op reflector) has a p4 with a 120 degree half angle emission pattern

where as the

newer p60l(smooth reflector) has a p4 with a 72 degree half angle emission pattern(similar but smoother than the cree)

Numbers

Enlightened
FWW
My yellow G2L, bought late last year with nitrolon bezel, has a very slightly OP reflector (looking quickly one would think it is smooth - it is nothing like the OP pictured above) and a clear lense.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Is the diffused window plastiic, or glass. Just wondered as there is nothing set in concrete with SF as, obviously, they made a radical change to the G2L drop in.

Bill

chibato

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the means to post pictures but the module with more throw does appear to be smoother. The hotspot is tighter and the beam is ringy.

Perhaps Al can enlighten us?

How noticable to the naked eye is the diffence in throw?

umc

Enlightened
Is the diffused window plastiic, or glass. Just wondered as there is nothing set in concrete with SF as, obviously, they made a radical change to the G2L drop in.

Bill

After tapping my finger nail on it it seems to be plastic. I did the same "test" :) with the black G2L clear window and it seems as though it's plastic as well.

umc

Enlightened
How noticable to the naked eye is the diffence in throw?

Don't know yet, I'm at my mother-in-laws right now and working on her PC, I'm almost to a point where I can head outside to test the two out to see if I can notice a difference.

Probably won't get beem shots until tomorrow though, that is if there is a noticable difference.

umc

Enlightened
Well the two G2L's look identical to me, even when I put the clear bezeled lens on the smooth P60L I couldn't tell a difference.

Guess I don't need to worry about swapping out my "old" (one month) black G2L's :D

Cypher

Enlightened
Two Questions:

1.Are the colored G2Ls now shipped with colored aluminum bezels or are they still nitrolon?

2. Aussie Cheese, how can you tell that one emitter is 120 degree and the other 72 degree? I didn't know that they made the P4 with different emission patterns.

umc

Enlightened
Two Questions:

1.Are the colored G2Ls now shipped with colored aluminum bezels or are they still nitrolon?

2. Aussie Cheese, how can you tell that one emitter is 120 degree and the other 72 degree? I didn't know that they made the P4 with different emission patterns.

1. All of the G2L's that I have (2 yellow and 3 black) have aluminum bezels.

2. I'm wondering the same as I can't tell the difference by looking at them.

Latest posts