Lol, which side would you side with?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driver of car that struck and killed dog sues dog owners
Published: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 | 6:59 AM ET
Canadian Press: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DULUTH, Minn. - The driver of a car that struck and killed a dog in Minnesota is suing the dog's owners for damage done to his vehicle.

Jeffery Ely was driving near Duluth, Minnesota, on January 4th when Fester, a miniature pinscher, ran into the road.

Ely's 1997 Honda Civic struck Fester, killing the 5.8-kilogram dog instantly.

Now Ely is suing Fester's owners for about $1,100 for damage to his car, time he had to take off from his two jobs to get the car repaired, and court fees.

Ely tells Duluth News Tribune he feels sorry for the family's loss but feels they must be responsible for their pets' actions. He's a dog owner himself.

Fester's owners have countersued Ely, for $2,400.

People today... :shakehead

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Apart from the personal grief, the legal issue depends on where the liability lies. Should the dog have been on a leash? Was he driving uncarefully? The driver didn't ask for this, if he was unable to avoid collision. Probably the only ones who could have avoided the accident were the dog owners. So there you are.

Not a situation you want to be in. On neither side.

Kees

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope both cases get thrown out. You should have control of your dog, but you should also be aware of the road.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a dog owner/lover, I hate to say it, but the fault likely lies on the dog owners. I always have my dog on a leash, the only exception being the completely fenced dog park. On several occasions I have had unleashed dogs charge me in my neighborhood. They have crossed the street to do it as I usually cross to the other side before I get to them. The result? The dog could get hit. Additionally, I've concluded that I will take whatever means necessary to protect my dog from the other dog, even if it means killing the other dog. I've followed the law, I have my leashed, vaccinated and tagged dog walking safely along and that dog, whose intentions could not be determined, charges me and my peaceful pet? Shame on that's dogs owners!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should each get a fine for wasting the courts time and public resources. An incident like this should be resolved between the parties insurance companies. A responsible dog owner has insurance with liability clauses, a responsible car owner has vehicle insurance.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people/cultures believe that suing someone for a percieved wrong nearly always means that you will have to relive the offense in the process. I fully agree. Life is short. I think very carefully about the parts of my life I want to go through again...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people/cultures believe that suing someone for a percieved wrong nearly always means that you will have to relive the offense in the process. I fully agree. Life is short. I think very carefully about the parts of my life I want to go through again...

+1

A good point.

Regards,
Tempest