Going into Hospital April 9, 2003 (Updated)

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well everyone, I have an outpatient procedure on April 9th: Both lower legs have to be cathed and balloon angioplasty needs to be done to open the clogged arteries down there. I should be home the next day. However, there is a 10-15% chance things will go much worse. This could mean that I will be in longer, perhaps ending up with far more drastic surgical procedure: Amputation of both feet and maybe lower legs. Probably not, but, it needs to be said.

The clogging (clotting), is a result of Diabetes and smoking. Either one does it. I've been through catheterization before, but, that was Heart (much more life-critical area), after Heart Attack in November 2001, and I know I have to remain still for 8 hours or so afterwards, so the insertion point can heal sufficiently.

Insertion point is the same, but, direction is opposite. This needs to be done, now, or the feet and lower legs will die and amputation would then be required. Lack of circulation is that bad.

I just had to let all of you know, so that if you don't hear from me for a while, you will know why.

No need to comment or express sympathy. This is merely a notification, ahead of time.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Going into Hosptial April 9, 2003

Charles,

You have my prayers. We'll see you when you get out on April 10th. Good luck and God spead!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Charles,

I'm no good at sentimental stuff, so I guess I should just dispense with it right here & now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
But it was done for me when I went in for surgery, so now it's your turn!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's hoping you're home on April 10 and here's hoping your legs & feet come out of the angioplasty in great shape!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Best of luck to you, Charles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good luck and "good surgeon" wishes to you. Heal fast and well.

kev1-1

Enlightened

I'll say nothing but..good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Certainly there will be no complications but, just in case, use a permanant marker to label your feet "left foot", "right foot". Life is complicated enough without having to walk around with your boots on backwards.

Be well, Charles.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

best wishes Charles.

Raven

Enlightened

You Can't Afford The Luxury Of A Negative Thought
Peter McWilliams
ISBN: 0931580242

Go over to www.amazon.com and type in the isbn number. They have several free pages you can read.

Raven

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
...just in case, use a permanant marker to label your feet "left foot", "right foot".

Be well, Charles.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know...that ain't such a bad idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Positive thoughts and prayers to you dude.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
..."good surgeon"...

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't say it any better.
Best wishes.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charles I hope the outcome is the best absolutely possible. It sounds pretty extensive but surgeons do fantastic things these days. I'm sure you're in good hands. Keep us posted.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good Luck Charles! If you have to stay in more than one night make sure you get a regular internal med doctor looking after you in addition to the surgeons! I have seen many times an otherwise excellent surgery complicated by a lack of regular doctoring afterwards!

I think if COPD were part of the warnings about smoking more than cancer it would have had a better result in encouraging people to quit. What Charles is suffering is a much more common occurrence than lung cancer, especially in diabetics.

Good Luck and let us know when you're back!

Brotherscrim

Enlightened

Good luck man! My father is fighting Diabetes, and has had one leg amputated already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened

Should say "good radiologist" - the majority of angioplasties are done by cardiologists (hearts) and radiologists (just about everywhere else). Luckily, angioplasty is not the only answer, and a failed 'plasty does not necessarily equal amputation - you may be a candidate for lower extremity bypass surgery - the surgeon can take a length of vein or PTFA & bypass the clogged areas, provided that you have vessels below the clog to plug into.

Anyhow - Good luck! (Have you stopped smoking yet? I hope so!)

Sam

leddite

Enlightened

best of luck, hope all is "clear" soon.

bring flashlight to play with :> heck, ask the doctors
what kind they have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2dogs

Enlightened

Of course we are going to reply. You have too many friends here expect otherwise. My prayers are with you. I'll here from you soon. Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I've been in for 3 procedures on my left foot this last year (why do you think I've had so much time to hang out on the CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They marked my left foot with permanent marker each time, man that stuff seemed to never came off (but it was worth having my foot marked!!).

As long as you don't wake up with strange tatoos somewhere!

Latest posts