Got my NDI and Jet-1 IBS, but I must be dense...

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having a heck of a time trying to activate and switch the various modes on both lights. They are superb examples of human engineering, but the UI (and IBS button) is definitely very tough for me to work with.

Mind you I tend not to read owner's manuals and try to figure things out the hard way, but I'm stubborn that way.

Anyway just thought I'd share my own thoughts about this. For me the Fenix L2D / L1D user interfaces are far simpler and more idiot proof for idiots like myself.

I'll relegate my NDI and Jet-1 IBS to my "shelf toys" because they are so marvelous to touch and play with, but I can see myself using the simpler Fenix interface much more on a daily basis.

It's so great to have such engineering marvels these days though. :whistle:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
the NDI one is pretty easy, once you read the manual. basically its:

- forward clickie for momentary and click on.
- while on, rotating bezel one way or the other switches between high and low.
- while on high, if you switch to low and back quickly, youll activate the strobe.
- while on low, if you switch to high and back quickly, youll go into the settings mode, and itll ramp up or down. click off to keep this as your low setting.

so once you set the low, its just high, low and strobe.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
The UI on the IBS is challenging. It was even more so on my first one because it wouldn't register the "off" click. It would turn off, but it would simply begin where it left off before it was turned off; even if it was in the middle of a programming phase. It was really weird and I was going nuts trying to figure it out. BOG took care of it and sent me a replacement which seems to work fine. Still tricky to program, though.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm having a heck of a time trying to activate and switch the various modes on both lights. They are superb examples of human engineering, but the UI (and IBS button) is definitely very tough for me to work with.

I do not known anything about the Jet, but the NDI is fairly simple (once your learn it), but Fenix UI is much better (IMHO).

On NDI:
If your have the head screwed tight: loosen and tighten it quickly.
If your have the head loose: tighten and loosen it quickly.

Turn off to remember a setting.

Thats it.

Edit:
The part about " Turn off to remember a setting" can be very irritating, select strobe and turn off, next time it starts in strobe!

Last edited:

horizonseeker

Enlightened
my ndi is used the same way as my fenix l2T, high and low, set and forget. Except I can set the low to whatever level I like, and I have access to strobe should I need it.

even the UI is similar to fenix, rear button for on, twist the head for high / low, just keep in mind the 0.5 second delay so you don't turn on the strobe by accident.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys I guess I am not as patient as you guys. Don't get me wrong I love these lights, but for a simpleton like myself the Fenix UI is the best for me.

I also am hesitant to twist the bezel too frequently / much for fear of damaging the threads / wearing it out. So the simple Fenix clicks is much better for my peace of mind.

Maybe in the future I will "graduate" to a higher level as a user but I've learned for me simpler is better. :)

Last edited:

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Quick operation rundown on IBS:

1) In any mode(A, B, or C) press the tailcap button lighlty(don't click down) 3 or more times in under 1 second. You are now in programming mode. (it will also blink once at 2 lumen then blink twice at 50% and 3 times at max to make it easy for you to know where you are)

2) The light will now start to increase in brightness from 2 lumen to 225 in a smooth transition. When you reach a level you are happy with simply turn it off and wait 2 seconds to lock it in.

3) If you tap the tailcap once while the light is in its 2-225 transition it will enter the strobe programming mode. Once again when you reach a strobe variation you are happy with...turn it off and wait 2 seconds.

4) Do this for all 3 modes(A, B, or C) and you have your light customized to whatever brightness, strobe, or SOS mode you like. You can program all 3 modes to be 225 lumen, all 3 modes to be strobe, all 3 modes to be high, med, low...I think you get the idea.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com
JETBeam US Distributor

Yapo

Enlightened
I cant wait for my Jet-I IBS to get here! i also ordered a UCL lens with LDF for it to make the beam smoother/floodier. i might get a GITD oring and tailcap for it as well if i can find where to get them cheap.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've taken a punt on a Jet-1 IBS as well ($55 scopeandlaser off eBay). Personally I'm not a fan of bezel twisting, so three infinitely adjustable levels, especially a properly low low, all accessible by soft pushing a reverse clicky, sounds good to me.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
the NDI one is pretty easy, once you read the manual. basically its:

- forward clickie for momentary and click on.
- while on, rotating bezel one way or the other switches between high and low.
- while on high, if you switch to low and back quickly, youll activate the strobe.
- while on low, if you switch to high and back quickly, youll go into the settings mode, and itll ramp up or down. click off to keep this as your low setting.

so once you set the low, its just high, low and strobe.

Does the NDI always start on the low you can set? or is it like fenix that when it`s of and the head is tightened it will start on high?:crazy:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to thank everyone again, especially Flavio, TooManyGizmos, HKJ & Hooplehead for your help in this thread.

I watched the video, went through the NDI and JetBeam modes methodically and have figured out the lights.

Now that I understand the UI, I am very very happy. :)

Note to the manufacturers & dealers - if they could post a video of the light instructions like what TooManyGizmos linked to, on their own websites, it would be very helpful.

Last edited: