Anybody try the Faraday Shakelights at BJs?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know shake lights in general have a pretty dim output but I thought some were better then others. I recall the "Nightstar" and "Forever" brands and I see version called Faraday Shakelights at BJs warehouse. You get two regular sized and two mini sized ones, a total of four, for $14.95. This beats the crap out of the buy it now on TV deal where you only get one each for $19.95. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these particular lights and how they stack up against the competition.

looman

Enlightened
I know shake lights in general have a pretty dim output but I thought some were better then others. I recall the "Nightstar" and "Forever" brands and I see version called Faraday Shakelights at BJs warehouse. You get two regular sized and two mini sized ones, a total of four, for $14.95. This beats the crap out of the buy it now on TV deal where you only get one each for $19.95. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these particular lights and how they stack up against the competition.

To avoid slipping into vulgarity, you would be better off cuffing the carrot. Waste of space

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are you saying they would do little more then then wind up my automatic watch? I almost bit just for experiment. They had I forget the brand, but a demo at Sharper Image and it did provide some output, maybe the same as like an old AA Infinity.

To avoid slipping into vulgarity, you would be better off cuffing the carrot. Waste of space

Marduke

Flashaholic
Careful, a lot of those shake lights are fake. They hide two CR2032's inside, and the shaking does nothing more than tire you out.

Zenster

Enlightened
Once I saw the clip on Mad TV about shakelights, I could never bring myself to even consider getting one.

Edit: Link removed. Video has been removed from CPF several times. - Empath

Sorry about that. It is funny :crackup:, and I didn't figure it was objectionable since it was a skit that was broadcast on a major, well known, comedy show. I'll now check in to rehab for some sensitivity training... :eek:

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That clip is funny as hell, even when watching it the second time. :D

I do keep a nightstar in basemen thou, may come in handy some day.

ki0ak

Newly Enlightened
You are correct about "shake lights" being (relatively) dim. BUT, when needed you have light without worrying about batteries (does it have batteries in it? are they good? how long will they last? etc.)

I, too, keep a NightStar (Applied Innovative Technologies - manufacturer and FlashlightReviews.com) in the basement. Dim light is better than no light. And the kids like to play with it..

Last edited:

looman

Enlightened
So are you saying they would do little more then then wind up my automatic watch? I almost bit just for experiment. They had I forget the brand, but a demo at Sharper Image and it did provide some output, maybe the same as like an old AA Infinity.

I have an automatic wind watch - an oris but that does what it says on the tin and the glass (despite taking some real heavy duty knocks) is still mint. That is a bit unfare on automatic watches :)

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shake-lights are great for tiring out rambunctious kids in a blackout.

As to actually using one..well let me say my first time I saw a person use one was at work.

I was following BEHIND two guys in the hallway. Unknownst to me, one was showing his buddy how to charge it up. Holding it at waist level his hand started moving back and forth rapidly.

It was the most incredibly rude thing I'd ever seen!

Then I saw this tiny weak light...and laughed so hard they felt that I was being rude!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they (the real ones) are capacitor-powered, they do indeed make good lights for those "very little light is better than no light at all" situations.
The problem is they are only good for those situations.

I recall trying to use one to read the lettering on my car's tires as a salesman was trying to figure out what snow chains I should buy. It took far longer than it should have, entirely because there wasn't enough light available.

If you plan on using the thing for anything practical, any of those crank-charge lights are way better.