best light for chimneysweeps

blackgooseJT

Newly Enlightened
Most of us older sweeps used Mag-lites then switched to the big LSI rechargable lights. They've done OK for a long time and didn't require a banknote to replace if dropped down a flue or off a roof.Some are now switching to Led's and to Xenon rechargables. One of the more popular seems to be the 500 lumen Guide Gear Xenon tactical. Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas for the best light for chimney service? We can be rough on our gear, and expect long service under difficult conditions.

blackgooseJT

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you need lots of throw? or more floody beam?
How much runtime?
Price?
Size?

Besides that, I'd guess you'll need a medium beam with good amount of output with decent runtime and around 2D or smaller size. Price would be under $100. Was I close?

:welcome:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Hope you find this site to be

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious !

( hope i've spelled it correctly. Wasn't in my spell-checker ! ) :)

_

cobalt

Newly Enlightened
If you want about the same amount of light output as a Mag Light, you might try the Princeton Tec Tec 40. This light will take some abuse, and you can even find the old model (same output of light as the new model) on sale here:

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/PTCT40.html

Pelican offers durable lights which are often used my firemen:

http://www.pelican.com

Also, a headlamp might be something to consider as it would leave your hands free.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I found the Streamlight Ultra Stinger to be ideal. Not too big to comfortably carry and use. Small enough to fit through damper openings and inside woodstoves. Extremely bright. Good throw and spill. But the best thing was being able to pop it into the charger in my truck cab and grab it when I arrived at the next job all charged and ready to go. I sold it along with my trailer of equipment. You couldn't go wrong with the Ultra Stinger and thats experience talking. A flashlight is a necessity thats for sure. But while you are brushing the chimney and vacuming up the mess a mechanics droplight with the hook for hanging inside the fireplace is one piece of equipment I was never without.

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
Surefire Optimus/invictus, which should be coming out any day now. Optimus for beam variability, along with runtime, ruggedness (Surefires are pretty much unbreakable, waterproof, weatherproof, shock proof.. Etc.), stepped-down body with rubber grip so you won't drop it, 200 lumens (A mag's like 30.), and multiple levels. A lifetime warrenty helps, too.

Or L4 if you want a floodier, pleasing beam with good runtime. But we don't know, the Optimus could very well likely have the same runtime and beam (Variable beam shape) as a L4 at 100 lumens.

Another option is the Invictus, which would likely have more run-time, and has all the features the Optimus does, but uses a reflector, and doesn't shape the beam.

My recommendation if you need a light NOW to be RELIABLE?
L4.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these on the way. I know it uses a type of cell that you might not want to deal with, but it it's cheap enough that you won't care if it gets broken. If you got it, I'd think about swapping out the glass lens for a plastic one for shatter-resistance.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to get something with good seals and easily cleaned. Soot is a very fine particulate.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest getting a Malkoff drop-in for a 3D Mag...crazy bright, long runtime on cheap batteries and Mags are well known for being very tough. If the light does get damaged, you just buy a new one for 20 bucks and swap the drop-in to the new one and you're back in bidness!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello BlackgooseJT,

Welcome to CPF.

A soot filled stove pipe will soak up light like it is going out of style.

In addition to the UltraStinger mentioned earlier, I would suggest you consider the TigerLight, MagCharger with a lamp upgrade, or the Wolf Eyes M300. The M300 comes with a lanyard that may keep it from slipping away from you.

Tom

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really mean 'older' (like back in the 80's), my flashlight usage was so insignificant, that I don't even remember what flashlights I used. I think they were typical 2 D 'Eveready' style cheapies.

I heavily used drop lights with rough service bulbs. My flue inspections were with a drop light from the roof. I could lower the light and twist it to inspect all four sides of the flue about one foot at a time. Cameras were for inspection were getting popular as I was leaving the industry. I kept a drop light on the shelf while cleaning the throat and shelf. I used a clamp on round aluminum reflector light if there was a shortage of room light to light up my work area.

If it wasn't convenient for me to carry a live extension cord up with me, I'd drop the drop light cord down the chimney and plug in from down below. When I had a cord on the roof, instead of considering it a PITA, I'd use the cord as a rope to bring up and lower equipment.

Flashlights were so directional and limited, I didn't rely on them. I got much better coverage and could actually see with a corded drop light and they were very inexpensive to replace. Forget standard bulbs, rough service are a must.

I'm all LED with flashlights, but I can't imagine an LED flashlight doing the job in sweeping. If I were sweeping today, I'd be looking at headlights, unless you're using a full face respirator, but I don't think I could do without a drop light. The 'yellow' incan really makes a difference being able to see in middle of all that creosote and for inspection.