SureFire KL4 R.I.P.

Nathan

Enlightened
I just noticed that the KL4 is no longer listed at SF.com. I guess it should be no surprise as the M600A Scout Light was pulled a few weeks (?) ago . The L4's days are numbered.

I still have my first KL4, the first SureFire LED I ever owned. It's on a VG FB1 body (a la TW4). It served me well as a EDC for over a year. And in the winter, it served double duty as a hand warmer. :D Yes, it got very warm quickly, and much of the time it was more light than what was needed. Still, nothing quite matches its "wall of light" output. We have reached the end of an era...

HeadCSO

Enlightened
My L4 is pretty special to me. It is was my first ever Surefire light and was bought for me by my sister as a christmas gift. The first time I switched it on, I was bowled over by the wall of light and how well it lit up the whole room (I was still using a 2AA stock incan maglite at this time :sick2:).

My L4 has remained unchanged in stock form and will do so. I await with interest to see what Surefire will release, maybe a KL4A.

Zenster

Enlightened
The L4's days are numbered.

I can't claim any inside knowledge, but maybe.. maybe not.

It's common for manufacturers to pull a particular model of something just before a similar, but "new and improved" model is brought out that replaces it.
If the L4 is pulled, I wouldn't be surprised if a "new" L4 were to be introduced soon after.

Just thinkin' out loud. :)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 is so clearly "obsolete" technically...and so clearly superb practically. I may wind up buying a spare. (BTW, I don't think I remember it in the 2008 paper catalog either?)

Nathan

Enlightened
The only mention of the KL4 is in the Tactical catalog, in the description of the M600A Scout Light. The L4 is not listed at all.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a KL4 with a P7 emitter.
Talk about an upgrade!
Run time would not be good, but runtime is not what the L4 is or was ever about, right?

bezel

Newly Enlightened
The L4, my alltime favorite flood light. I'd like to see it come back as a two-stager with the E1B UI ,an updated emmiter and reworked reflector to provide the exact same beam. I'd go for a 10 lumen low and the same 100 lumen high with a longer/cooler run. Since this is not usually considered a tacticle light, there shouldn't be too many complaints about a two-stage L4.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4, my alltime favorite flood light. I'd like to see it come back as a two-stager with the E1B UI ,an updated emmiter and reworked reflector to provide the exact same beam. I'd go for a 10 lumen low and the same 100 lumen high with a longer/cooler run. Since this is not usually considered a tacticle light, there shouldn't be too many complaints about a two-stage L4.

The L4 is/was absolutely a tactical light. The flood was designed for clearing rooms. As was the M600A Scout light.

I've had it up to here with multi-mode lights! :shakehead

bezel

Newly Enlightened
The L4 is/was absolutely a tactical light. The flood was designed for clearing rooms. As was the M600A Scout light.

I've had it up to here with multi-mode lights! :shakehead

Yes, I agree that it is good for specific tacticle applications. But I (and was assuming most others) grab this light for utility flood, and something else if anticipating the need for a tacticle light.

bezel

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the L4 was the edc tac-light of choice. The lack of runtime and heat buildup really made it unsuitable for utilitarian purposes. The flood beam was rather nice though as it didn't completely white-out what you were looking at up close. If I were anticipating a need for a taclight I'd be carrying around a weaponslight on a shotgun :devil:

bezel

Newly Enlightened
I see your point about not washing out up close. I never worried about the heat and sometimes ran it hours at a time only stopping to put in a charged 17670. Not sure if this was recommended, but it still runs like new. I'm glad because i've never had another LED light with a tint as perfect as my L4's - with outdoor color rendition on par with and incandescent.