Just ordered a P1D Q5 but still not sure!

BobCol

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I know, I know, there are many threads about this subject ( I´ve read most of them) and besides I´ve already ordered it, so what the heck am I asking that for? Well, those threads have raised a few points like green tints, unnoticeable difference between levels and other malfunctioning instances and those things could really ruin one´s pleasure in having the light. But since these threads are somewhat old now and some usage experience has been gathered by now, I would appreciate a few short comments of everyday use with this light from you people.

Thanks in advance
Bob

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't have the Q5 so I don't know if my thoughts carry much weight, but I have one of the older P1's, and I really like it. The tint is a little more purpley due to the older Luxeon led rather than the cree, but it's not that bad in actual usage. I really like the form, I have it in my pocket right now. Its really a nice little light, especially for edc-tough, simple to use, and super tiny. And if the very nice tint on the P3D Q5 that I have is an indication of what you will likely get, I would say that you made a fine choice and will love that light.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Three words.. Perfect White Tint

I have not had ANY Tint/Functional problems with the P1D. I feel pretty confident that you wont either.

-Aaron

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I will admit to carrying a more robust light when I'm wearing jeans or when rough use is needed, I used to carry a P1D Q5 when I wore dress pants (my job requires such attire some of the time). It was very nice with a dependable close to white beam in a small package. In fact, the only reason it sits in the drawer now is because I bought a Raw NS (Al coming soon) that is even smaller with enough light (160lm) for my dress days.

For the money, I would buy the P1D all over again.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to assume that this might be your first light...
Well even if it isn't. You are new enough (IMHO) that the difference in tints may not even be detectable. This is especially true if you don't have any other led flashlights. a light with a slightly cool tint will become completly normal and nice to the eye if used by it's self within a moment or two.
Poor tints become more of an issue when comparing 2 (or more) led flashlights together.
The days of REALLY bad tints (if you guys think what you are seeing today are bad tints you weren't around in the beginning) are behind us. The tints of emitters are more tightly grouped within the bins of the emitters. No they aren't perfect and the tint lottery is still an issue but these tints aren't nearly as bad as they once were.
Fenix does use quality emitters and you will find the tint quite acceptable, especially if you use that light on it's own where after a few moments of use the tint will not matter one bit.
Yaesumofo

Hi everybody. I know, I know, there are many threads about this subject ( I´ve read most of them) and besides I´ve already ordered it, so what the heck am I asking that for? Well, those threads have raised a few points like green tints, unnoticeable difference between levels and other malfunctioning instances and those things could really ruin one´s pleasure in having the light. But since these threads are somewhat old now and some usage experience has been gathered by now, I would appreciate a few short comments of everyday use with this light from you people.

Thanks in advance
Bob

tricker

Enlightened
i edc this for about a month....SUPER bright, no problems.....too bright for most of my needs so now its my camp light....no problems and perfect white brightness

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
A buddy has the P1D Q5, my Dad has a P2D Q5 and I have a P3D Q5. All three are ace lights and I can't say I've noticed any colour tints to speak of! Enjoy your light!!!! :twothumbs

TDKKP

Enlightened
A little off topic but what's the difference between P1D and P2D and which one is better value?

meuge

Enlightened
A little off topic but what's the difference between P1D and P2D and which one is better value?
The P1D is shorter and has a twist switch... and P2D has the classic Fenix twist+click user interface. I prefer the P2D, because I like the interface... and the extra 1cm in length doesn't bother me.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's a nice light.

Tint will depend a lot on the LED itself. Cree XR-Es seem to have a cool white tint overall.

I don't have one, but I think you'll like it.

BobCol

Newly Enlightened
Very kind of you guys, many thanks for the comments. I feel now that I made the right choice.

Bob

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I own two P1D's, one of which is a Q5, and can say definitively that you'll find the beam is not too narrow, not too wide, the size is unusually small even if you get used to it, and the build quality is top notch. As for tint, Crees in the P1s tend towards a nicely balanced white (I wouldn't put too much stock in any random report about tint - an LED that seems cool at first will then seem warm if compared to a cooler LED; there's no objective "perfect" white.) Since it's a twisty, the only maintenance issue you'll have is keeping the threads/o-ring lubed and contact relatively clean.

As for the levels, it's difficult for your eyes to distinguish between them if they don't become adjusted. If you just quickly cycle between the levels, there won't appear to be much difference; if you let your eyes adjust to each level before switching, the difference will seem profound (especially in long-distance/outdoors situations.)

crocodilo

Enlightened
I'm a heavy EDCer of a P1DQ5, and love everything about it.

(Started loving it even more when I got a Leef body and switch.)

Can't go wrong with this light. Pocket rocket, small size and price, great beam, good modes (I could live without strobe and SOS), great runtime and regulation.

I'd easily give it the Best Buy award since I joined CPF.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a heavy EDCer of a P1DQ5, and love everything about it.

(Started loving it even more when I got a Leef body and switch.)

Can't go wrong with this light. Pocket rocket, small size and price, great beam, good modes (I could live without strobe and SOS), great runtime and regulation.

I'd easily give it the Best Buy award since I joined CPF.
What's the advantage of the Leef body and switch?

crocodilo

Enlightened
You get a good, solid, forward momentary/clicky switch, very fast to select modes, able to tailstand.

Note that the P2D (and most other Fenixes) has a flimsy reverse clicky.

Besides, it's a great piece of machining, and it will surely upgrade the great light engine of the P1D.

The Leef body could be used as an impact device, and comes with an external o-ring to allow the use of the "cigar" grip (Rogers, IIRC) with a firearm.

All this for some 30-ish USD and a very manageable increase in length, that many consider to be an improvement to gripping and handling.

BOBBYBOB

Newly Enlightened
I LOVE my P1D

I carried one for almost 3 years (old Cree) I just got a Q5 Model last month and I couldn't be happier with it. I got mine with the smooth
reflector and it "throws" just fine for me. It is one of the most versatile
products I have ever owned. I am much impressed with Fenix quality.
I am sure it is not my last Fenix product!

husky20

Banned
Fenix is a great light company they are my current favorite i love their lights i own the P3D Rebel and the LOD Rebel they are really really nice!cant wait to get something new from them!am waiting a little wile longer for newer leds how bought a P2D with 300 lumen's or more that would be awesome:thumbsup::eek::popcorn: Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms:twothumbs